Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 08:52 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The federal government does have a business in helping the poor and indigent get some basic level of healthcare, and Planned Parenthood provides some of that healthcare. Diagnosing and treating STD's is a tremendous boon to society, and is one of the services that Planned Parenthood provides. The idea that the millions of people who use Planned Parenthood for non-abortion services can simply go to nearby clinics that are already over-burdened is just ignorant.
No, what's ignorant is to think that PP is the only place to go. There isn't even one around where I live and the poor baby making machines seem to make out just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 08:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I included UHC....I know many that fit in that category.
Sorry that I misread your post. I guess you should ask the people you know who are pro-choice and anti-UHC why they believe what they do. To me it's a no-brainer. Colorado saw a 42% drop in abortions after making free LARC available to teenagers and poor people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/s...cess.html?_r=0

Old 05-31-2017, 08:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Killing babies is wrong, no matter how you rationalize to justify your position.
Do you support providing free long-acting, reversible birth control to anyone who wants it? Colorado saw abortions drop 42% after doing that.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
On this thread several people were chuckling with glee that Planned Perenthood will be closing several clinics in Iowa. Planned Parenthood is closing 1/3rd of "clinics" in Iowa

You realize that the more Planned Parenthood clinics are closed, the longer the waiting lists to get abortions will be, right? You pro-life people know this could very well make it so that the type of people most likely to want abortions - people working 2 jobs and such - will end up having fewer opportunities, resulting in them getting later abortions?

You know that later abortions means more development, right? It means more complex brains.

Pro-lifers should be demanding Planned Parenthood clinics on every street corner so they can be of as much convenience as possible.

If your goal is to protect children, defunding Planned Parenthood is doing the exact opposite of that. Really, even having unusually strict laws relating to abortion throughout the entire state is doing the opposite of protecting babies/fetuses/whatever. You're forcing people to go to other states, which takes them longer (particularly if they're from a low income family) which results in greater development of the fetus/bay/whatever.

The goal of pro-lifers should be some kind of national change to abortion laws, or something that leads to that. Until you get a national change, all you're doing is the opposite of protecting children with these sorts of goals.

And the fact that people were thrilled about those closings? What is wrong with you people?
First of all I am pro-choice but I do see he hypocrisy in this argument from the left.

There are people who really feel abortion is murder so of course they will be thrilled with these clinics closing.

This is not about contracting some horrible illness of no fault of your own. This is engaging in an activity that you know can lead to a certain outcome and then having to scramble and deal with it after the fact.

How about personal responsibility and using protection? Or not sleeping around with everyone? Besides getting pregnant you are spreading potential STD's. And condoms are cheaper than abortions if this is a money thing. I have watched these Maury Povich type shows where they do need a DNA test for figuring out who the father is because the mother has had so many sexual partners she has no idea who it might be.

If the left wants planned parenthood to keep going. Fund it. Do celebrity telethons. Get the rich donors that gave HRC a billion dollars to cough up some dough. There are ways besides it being taxpayer funded.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:59 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

If the left wants planned parenthood to keep going. Fund it. Do celebrity telethons. Get the rich donors that gave HRC a billion dollars to cough up some dough. There are ways besides it being taxpayer funded.
EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY!

It is not about pro-life or pro-choice. It is about The federal government has no business providing taxpayer funds to a private organization like Planned Parenthood. If they want to keep it open, it will be fairly easy to find donors to fund such an organization. Matter of fact, I'd make one time donation because I do believe birth control will help all of us.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Sorry that I misread your post. I guess you should ask the people you know who are pro-choice and anti-UHC why they believe what they do. To me it's a no-brainer. Colorado saw a 42% drop in abortions after making free LARC available to teenagers and poor people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/s...cess.html?_r=0
I don't know him but if anyone ever see's the head of the DNC I would appreciate if someone would ask him.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree.

The bold is just ignorant, it is ignorant because I never made such suggestion.
No, but your suggestion that Planned Parenthood should provide public health services but be denied funds that the federal government sets aside for those public health services is an argument that the poor and indigent should go to other providers. It ignores that those other providers are already over-burdened. It ignores that the poor and indigent would have to seek out select providers that accept government funds, and then wait in long lines all day, along with other patients that are there with a myriad of other conditions, some communicable, because some ignorant people want to shut down Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood does good work, but they are targeted because ignorant people like easy targets rather than dealing with the actual problems.

Women who seek abortions aren't stupid, immoral, or irresponsible. And EVERY argument against abortion rests on the premise that these women are stupid, immoral or irresponsible. EVERY argument.

Abortion is a terrible thing. But instead of blaming/shaming/targeting the women and abortion providers, abortion opponents need to focus on why women choose to abort. Make the world a better place for a woman to be pregnant, make it affordable, make daycare affordable. Address the real problems, even though it's hard, because the easy route of demonizing women is destructive and divisive and not productive in any way.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No, but your suggestion that Planned Parenthood should provide public health services but be denied funds that the federal government sets aside for those public health services is an argument that the poor and indigent should go to other providers. It ignores that those other providers are already over-burdened. It ignores that the poor and indigent would have to seek out select providers that accept government funds, and then wait in long lines all day, along with other patients that are there with a myriad of other conditions, some communicable, because some ignorant people want to shut down Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood does good work, but they are targeted because ignorant people like easy targets rather than dealing with the actual problems.

Women who seek abortions aren't stupid, immoral, or irresponsible. And EVERY argument against abortion rests on the premise that these women are stupid, immoral or irresponsible. EVERY argument.

Abortion is a terrible thing. But instead of blaming/shaming/targeting the women and abortion providers, abortion opponents need to focus on why women choose to abort. Make the world a better place for a woman to be pregnant, make it affordable, make daycare affordable. Address the real problems, even though it's hard, because the easy route of demonizing women is destructive and divisive and not productive in any way.
I suggest you stop bringing up abortion. It has nothing to do with it.

This is my post

The federal government has no business providing taxpayer funds to a private organization like Planned Parenthood. With funding comes control over what Planned Parenthood does and the federal government has no business controlling that as long as it's legal. As with all things the federal government gets involved with, it's hard to get it out once in as it creates dependency and political benefits.

"Defunding" Planned Parenthood should mean that the federal government provides no funds to Planned Parenthood and cannot tell it what to do or not do with its own funds.

Find donors to keep it open. I've never suggested PP did not do good things, but they should find their money elsewhere to keep it open.

You really shouldn't try so hard to find something (abortion, morality) that is not even there. I've never brought up abortion, you did. I am straightly talking about funding, you are not. So don't quote me anymore, thank you.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I suggest you stop bringing up abortion. It has nothing to do with it.

This is my post

The federal government has no business providing taxpayer funds to a private organization like Planned Parenthood. With funding comes control over what Planned Parenthood does and the federal government has no business controlling that as long as it's legal. As with all things the federal government gets involved with, it's hard to get it out once in as it creates dependency and political benefits.

"Defunding" Planned Parenthood should mean that the federal government provides no funds to Planned Parenthood and cannot tell it what to do or not do with its own funds.

Find donors to keep it open. I've never suggested PP did not do good things, but they should find their money elsewhere to keep it open.
I understand your post, and the repercussions of it. Planned Parenthood is a non-profit organization. Their purpose is to provide reproductive healthcare to people who need it. Any funding that Planned Parenthood gets is to provide reproductive healthcare (excluding abortion) to people who might not otherwise be able to afford it. Are you suggesting that every healthcare provider who receives funding from the government should have that funding removed? Is it your position that the government should not help fund any healthcare programs for the poor?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I understand your post, and the repercussions of it. Planned Parenthood is a non-profit organization. Their purpose is to provide reproductive healthcare to people who need it. Any funding that Planned Parenthood gets is to provide reproductive healthcare (excluding abortion) to people who might not otherwise be able to afford it. Are you suggesting that every healthcare provider who receives funding from the government should have that funding removed? Is it your position that the government should not help fund any healthcare programs for the poor?
I have a non profit organization, I find donors to fund my own organization. I went to local politicians, my college classmates (many have rich parents), my own family, my brothers, my brothers' friends, other veterans, veterans' families. We got quarter million dollars in 2 years.

My non profit is to help veterans. NO, I don't expect or force tax payers to fund my own organization.

Just for your information,

Nonprofits can and do utilize the following sources of income to help them fulfill their missions:

Fees for goods and/or services.
Individual donations and major gifts.
Bequests.
Corporate contributions.
Foundation grants.
Government grants and contracts.
Interest from investments.
Loans/program-related investments (PRIs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies