Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,940,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
The ACLU is doing what it can on a state by state basis. If you want to get involved, contact your state reps
https://www.aclu.org/search/%20?f%5B...ld_issues%3A40

Can you be any more vague? What exactly has the ACLU done about it other than saying the problem exists? Just name one thing. They have been virtually completely silent on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:14 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,992,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
True, and lawmakers love it, any time there is easy revenue coming in they are all for it, constitutional or not, the problem is it is those same lawmakers that would have to end the practice, not gonna happen. This is something the Feds should force an end to or at least the SC, there was good reasons to do this initially but anyone with half a brain knew this was going to be abused, and it has been time and time again.
I actually agree with you. This is a practice which so very much goes against everything this country stands for and I cannot imagine how it could be ruled Constitutional.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:16 PM

19,707 posts, read 10,047,505 times
I did a paper on this for a college class. California makes millions from it every year. The Feds were deeply involved for several years but backed down a few years ago. One couple had cash in their car headed to buy a car from Craigslist. They were stopped when they drove past a police car.The cops confiscated the money. A town judge said that they either turn over the money to the town voluntarily or their kids would be turned over to the state. They even had the bank slip showing where they took the money out of savings. Don't think they ever got it back. There are thousands of such cases.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:22 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The ACLU mentions it on their website but doesn't say what they are doing about it, if anything. You call that doing their best? Simply mentioning the problem exists is not the same as doing something about it.

If this isn't a violation of civil liberties I don't know what is. You would think they would be all over it.
You are funding the police actions. What are you doing about it?

The ACLU has been fighting this in courts and in D.C. for years.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,678,374 times
Quote:
Can you be any more vague? What exactly has the ACLU done about it other than saying the problem exists? Just name one thing. They have been virtually completely silent on the matter.
No, they haven't been silent. Try reading the link.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:33 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,940,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are funding the police actions. What are you doing about it?
I thought it was the job of the ACLU to fight against this kind of thing. You expect me to do their job for them? If I had their 150 million dollar annual budget and an army of lawyers maybe I could.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:34 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
I thought it was the job of the ACLU to fight against this kind of thing. You want to do their job for them?
They are......just because you want to continue with a worthless argument wont change that.

P.S. It's not just their fight to fight.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:37 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,325,983 times
Reading this thread has jolted me into realizing how many of you weren't around in the 60's and 70's, when the War on Drugs really got going. The brainwashing was so complete by then, and the government was so good at whipping up fervor, that the public was willing to go for ANYTHING if it meant another weapon could be used in the war, whether it was constitutional or not.

Don't forget how corrupt our government is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHBx6H-xFo

Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,678,374 times
Here's a terse summary of what this decision actually contains and its importance - Not So Fast: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court's Check on Civil Asset Forfeiture - Lexology

Old 05-30-2017, 06:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,992,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Reading this thread has jolted me into realizing how many of you weren't around in the 60's and 70's, when the War on Drugs really got going. The brainwashing was so complete by then, and the government was so good at whipping up fervor, that the public was willing to go for ANYTHING if it meant another weapon could be used in the war, whether it was constitutional or not.

Don't forget how corrupt our government is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHBx6H-xFo
Well the drug cartels and mess in Miami in the 80s was very, very bad and it led to these kinds of laws. Good documentary on it, Cocaine Cowboys if you're ever interested. Earlier up thread, another poster said the intent was understandable when this came about but has morphed into this perversion of the law. I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies