Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:12 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,064,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Last November, Joe Mande wrote an article in the New Yorker titled How I Learned to Game Twitter. In it he said he discovered you can buy fans on Twitter for pretty cheap.

Yesterday, Newsweek published an article titled Nearly Half of Donald Trump's Twitter Followers Are Fake Accounts and Bots. Trump currently has 31 million followers and, sure enough, if you browse through them you will find an unusual number of tweet-less, picture-less accounts that joined the service in May 2017.

Apparently Twitter has an audit service. You enter the handle of Twitter account holder into the Audit service and it comes back with a report. Trump's followers are rated 51% fake.

I do not use Twitter but maybe those who do can verify this.
This kind of thing has been going on for years. A lot of sites that have followers, subscribers, views, reviews should be looked at with skepticism. Followers are are often bought as well as reviews from prominent shopping sites. It's hard to trust anything you see anywhere these days as data can easily be manipulated. case in point media coverage from any political party you follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 02:16 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,419,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I did a test and had some fake accounts.

It isn't Trump buying them -- they latch on to the celebrities.
This ^^ , plus there are many political and commercial bots trying to post first to a Trump tweet. An early reply to a Trump tweet guarantees your blog traffic.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:19 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,569,600 times
A lot of celebrities purchase twitter accounts. No biggee.

https://devumi.com/twitter-followers/

Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,680,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Doesn't look that way at all...
"there are currently 31 accounts with more followers than his. One of those accounts is that of Barack Obama, which boasts a whopping 89 million followers, good for third-most in the world behind Katy Perry and Justin Bieber.In case you're wondering, 79 percent of Obama's followers are real."

Nearly Half of Donald Trump's Twitter Followers Are Fake Accounts and Bots

Old 05-31-2017, 02:30 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,680,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. Those are not "fans". You need to actually read the comments. In fact, 4chan just took down one of the most prolific trollers on Trump's twitter account: Little punk ass who was told he's an up and coming superstar in tech before he blew $100,000 away on some lame ass app that no one wanted.

He has been known to spam the absolute crap out of Trump's tweets...guess the whiny kid has nothing better to do all day long. And it's been discovered that he had a whole lot of bots who would help him spam Trump's twitter.

I swear, one of these days, people are going to learn to read more than just a headline and look further in to the story.
I think what I quoted was actually well into the story. Way, way down from the headline.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,958,562 times
What he tweets is far more concerning than who he's tweeting to.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:53 PM

5,312 posts, read 2,095,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Apart from the bots I think people who don't want twitter accounts signed up just to witness the stupid tweets for themselves.

That's why they've only recently signed up, have no followers and aren't tweeting.
You don't have to have an account to view tweets. I don't follow Trump, but go sometimes to see what....interesting things he has said lately.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 PM

5,312 posts, read 2,095,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. Those are not "fans". You need to actually read the comments. In fact, 4chan just took down one of the most prolific trollers on Trump's twitter account: Little punk ass who was told he's an up and coming superstar in tech before he blew $100,000 away on some lame ass app that no one wanted.

He has been known to spam the absolute crap out of Trump's tweets...guess the whiny kid has nothing better to do all day long. And it's been discovered that he had a whole lot of bots who would help him spam Trump's twitter.

I swear, one of these days, people are going to learn to read more than just a headline and look further in to the story.
The article says it's not possible necessarily to know whether it's Trump padding his numbers or what is going on. You do not need to follow a person to tweet at them/be a bot that auto responds to his tweets, etc. Who knows what is going on.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:13 PM

46,861 posts, read 25,814,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
He got me for free as a follower
You astonish us.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:25 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Doesn't look that way at all...
"there are currently 31 accounts with more followers than his. One of those accounts is that of Barack Obama, which boasts a whopping 89 million followers, good for third-most in the world behind Katy Perry and Justin Bieber.In case you're wondering, 79 percent of Obama's followers are real."

Nearly Half of Donald Trump's Twitter Followers Are Fake Accounts and Bots

Twitter is only used to trigger and troll, so your friends can virtue signal you.
Trump trolls the 89 million Obama followers pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies