Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should homosexual activity among consenting adults be criminalized?
I believe homosexuality is sinful and should be a criminal offense 27 8.23%
I believe homosexuality is sinful but should remain legal for consenting adults 41 12.50%
I believe homosexuality is sinful and that all pro-LGBT ideas should be censored in the media, but homosexual activity itself should remain legal 16 4.88%
I believe homosexuality is acceptable and support LGBT equality 244 74.39%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:44 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times

Advertisements

I'm gay, married, and voted for Trump. He's no threat to "the gay community". In fact, trying to stop unvetted refugees from countries that are extremely hostile to gays and women is one reason I voted for him. Why let them in and the first guy one of them sees carrying a chihuahua and wearing a pink fanny pack gets stabbed to death??? I feel much safer with Trump than any corrupt, slave to special interests, weak, self-serving, politically correct man or woman from any party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 02:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Since morals and ethics have gone out the window with the Trump election, Republicans can finally cross over to the "who gives a crap " side that democrats have had for a long time.
Morals and ethics flew out the window long before this most recent election.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:00 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Morals and ethics flew out the window long before this most recent election.
Ask Bill and Hillary Clinton about Morals?

Bottom Line Gay people have additional rights than regular citizens and this thread is to stir the pot!

Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the long term goals of the Christian right is to make homosexuality a crime again.

Bryan Fischer, President of the Family Research Council and a hugely influential figure within evangelical circles said the following.

"Both of the cases that went to the United States Supreme Court that dealt with the issue of whether states should criminalize sodomy, and of course they still ought to be able to do it, every state in the union criminalized sodomy until 1962 and then forty nine states until 1972, then they began to fall like dominoes. But by the time of the founding until the late 20th Century, homosexual activity was a felony offense in the United States of America, there is no reason why it cannot be a criminal offense once again, absolutely none."

With this in mind, it makes sense out of otherwise nonsensical opposition to certain aspects of LGBT equality, like employment and housing protections. Their ultimate goal is to return homosexuality to being a punishable offense.

Regardless of your moral views on homosexuality, do you think it should be legal or should it be a criminal offense?
I go to an Assembly of God church and I have never heard a Christian I know call for homosexuality to be illegal. I don't believe it is a long term goal of the Christian Right. of course you can find some supposed leader calling for it.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:48 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
Laws concerning sexual behavior between consenting adults, like many "morality" laws are largely a result our nation's failure to separate church and state. As long as the country is electing religious zealots to office, there will be a constant effort to criminalize actions and deeds which do not fall within the religious book of rules. Unfortunately, the wide-spread ignorance and/or indifference of the American electorate is allowing more and more religious influence into our state and federal governments. These sexual behavior laws have absolutely no affect on anyone other than the consenting adults. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that many states had laws against adultery and even consensual sex between unmarried couples.

Laws like these are almost completely unenforceable. At most, they have been used to prosecute normally law-abiding people that some police officer or judge had a grudge against. Most people in this country are perfectly able and willing to be morally responsible without the church and/or law supervising them. And there is also a large number of religious zealots who don't practice what they preach.

Many of you probably don't remember that as late as the 1960's, proven adultery was the only way to get a divorce in New York state, yet, divorce cases were never followed up with any arrests for that adultery.

Religion and morality should never be the basis for state and federal laws against actions and deeds that don't affect anyone else.

Skeptical
Plenty of people who were not religious at all were against homosexuality.

Humans instinctively have fear or suspicion of things that are different or unusual than what they expect.

Did most Christians radically oppose homosexuality at one time? Yes. Was it limited to people who were religious? No.

The idea that today a significant number of Christians want to pass laws against homosexuality is ridiculous.

Christians might be trailing behind most groups when it comes to not caring about people's sexual orientation, but this impulsive need to try to tell Christians what Christians believe shows quite a bit of arrogance and ignorance.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:54 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Plenty of people who were not religious at all were against homosexuality.

Humans instinctively have fear or suspicion of things that are different or unusual than what they expect.

Did most Christians radically oppose homosexuality at one time? Yes. Was it limited to people who were religious? No.

The idea that today a significant number of Christians want to pass laws against homosexuality is ridiculous.

Christians might be trailing behind most groups when it comes to not caring about people's sexual orientation, but this impulsive need to try to tell Christians what Christians believe shows quite a bit of arrogance and ignorance.
Christians have standards and try to follow the of God and the writings of Jesus! The Left confuses doctrine with hate. Most Christians are vey nice to Gays and we all work with Gay people in our busy lives.

The Act of being Gay is not out lawed by any means and they have turned into a protected class.

The OP is trying to stir the pot to make this life style more acceptable to Guilt Christians to change there view. The Church welcomes all Sinners!

Old 06-02-2017, 04:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Christians have standards and try to follow the of God and the writings of Jesus! The Left confuses doctrine with hate. Most Christians are vey nice to Gays and we all work with Gay people in our busy lives.

The Act of being Gay is not out lawed by any means and they have turned into a protected class.

The OP is trying to stir the pot to make this life style more acceptable to Guilt Christians to change there view. The Church welcomes all Sinners!
I'm betting there are a whole slew of homosexuals that have done less sinning than me.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Ask Bill and Hillary Clinton about Morals?

Bottom Line Gay people have additional rights than regular citizens and this thread is to stir the pot!
REALLY?

What additional rights do they have?

Old 06-02-2017, 04:29 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the long term goals of the Christian right is to make homosexuality a crime again.
And then, after that, do you think their next goal will be to take the vote away from women - or from blacks?

Old 06-02-2017, 05:09 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I couldn't vote in the poll. There is no "How another citizen lives their life is not my concern." wasn't presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies