Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should homosexual activity among consenting adults be criminalized?
I believe homosexuality is sinful and should be a criminal offense 27 8.23%
I believe homosexuality is sinful but should remain legal for consenting adults 41 12.50%
I believe homosexuality is sinful and that all pro-LGBT ideas should be censored in the media, but homosexual activity itself should remain legal 16 4.88%
I believe homosexuality is acceptable and support LGBT equality 244 74.39%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They talk about it frequently in restaurants and bars and such. I'd say I hear it at least once a month, and I'm not out that much.
What kind of restaurants and bars are you going to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Christians on the other hand demand gay people commit to lives of celibacy to avoid ....
And that is their prerogative. A church is not a coercive, authoritarian organization unless you live in a theocracy. You choose Christianity or you don't. Pretty simple. Nobody is forcing you to choose it. And if you do choose it, you are presumably choosing it because you believe in it. If you join simply to try to change it, then you didn't believe in it in the first place and you should find something that you do believe in.

It's no different than any other religion. It would be kind of stupid to convert to Islam if you believed homosexuality is fine, right? After all, in hardcore Muslim countries, you'd be stoned to death for it. With Christianity, all they (at least some of them) do is ask you to not practice it. So you have your freedom. You can not practice it or you can choose to find another faith that believes in homosexuality (as some Christian faiths do). How many "flavors" of Christianity are there? Surely you can find one that believes as you do if you are really dead set on being a Christian.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That is quite the leap! Do you hate Atheists so much that you are willing to ascribe such nasty motives to them?
I don't hate atheists, I just disagree with some of their tactics.

If they don't believe in a God, that's their choice. It has no affect on me, so I find nothing upsetting at all about their lack of faith. It's just some of these bizarre things that they want to do that I find odd.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:24 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
In a truly free nation, the citizens of that nation would not criminalize anything unless it inhibited the liberty and freedom of others. Consenting adults would be free to choose to do as they wish. At the same time, consenting adults would also be free to choose NOT to do as they wish (including all the BS social programs the progressives have jammed down our throats).

Beyond that, a true Christian will not back down from his/her beliefs on what is good and what is sin, but neither would they force their beliefs on others. A cornerstone to Christianity is the idea of CHOOSING good or evil. It's kind of hard to choose something when it is forced in the first place.
Agree. I want them to legalize pot because I just think it is stupid to keep it illegal when so many people have been doing it for decades anyways, and there has not been an issue. But, I do with they would keep the pot smokers in certain places and restrict where the smoking is done like they do with cigarettes and beer, because people like me find it stinks pretty bad.

727 posts, read 390,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Regardless of your moral views on homosexuality, do you think it should be legal or should it be a criminal offense?
I think we should just live in a hedonistic society. If it feels good, do it. Then we can sit back and watch the stiffs short circuit.

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
I don't hate atheists, I just disagree with some of their tactics.

If they don't believe in a God, that's their choice. It has no affect on me, so I find nothing upsetting at all about their lack of faith. It's just some of these bizarre things that they want to do that I find odd.
I have never heard what you are describing. It might some fringe SJW belief because it's definitely not mainstream, even among gays or atheists. I have heard the accusations that homosexuals "recruit" but that usually comes from family organizations like the one Bryan Fischer is the head of.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:25 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Who woulda guessed a couple of decades ago that THIS would be the topic with the most bipartisan agreement?
Absolutely. When I first started teaching in 1999, if somebody would have asked me "will may marriage be legal in the United States in 2017?", I would have said no way. For all the nastiness we have in the partisanship of the United States, I take a lot of hope from how the right has changed on this issue.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:25 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
As a Christian, I have no desire for it to be criminalized. Gay people are gay, and gay adults should be able to sleep with any other adult they want, marry and adopt children. Most Christians under 50 I know feel the same.

I do know that it's the desire of many atheists to force young people into homosexual relationships in order to shame them into feelings of guilt for ever thinking negatively about gay people. It's outrageous they want to do it.

What? What makes you think this?

Old 06-01-2017, 04:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Double ditto. You can't allow some evangelicals to be the representatives of Christianity, Republicans or Conservatives. They aren't except in their own minds.
Exactly. And I only know one who is anti-homosexuality and it turns out his son is gay, so he may have had a change of heart on this.

I pray he's had a change of heart, for the sake of his son.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:28 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/u]

What? What makes you think this?
Probably a manifestation of some sort of

instinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies