Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,218,963 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I'm a moderate. I tend to just call myself a progressive, as it's vague enough to apply to what I feel it should. I generally vote Democrat, but I don't usually consider myself married to the party. I generally don't like political parties. But I wouldn't say I'm an "extreme liberal" in the slightest, so I'll say I can answer this question:

I do not like Trump.

I think that continuing the decades long trend of creeping executive authority by taking powers from congress and showing open hostility to the courts is not "making America great again." It's doing the opposite. It's doubling down on one of the most pressing yet least talked about political problems.

I think his foreign policy has been a nightmare in many ways. I'm entirely sympathetic to what he tries to do. For example, if he feels our relationship with other countries in the Paris Climate Agreement is not cost efficient for America, I would have preferred renegotiating the deal rather than pulling out. Trump seem to be attempting to remove the US from these international talks and decrease our involvement, and again, I'm sympathetic to this. I often feel the US has too much power in the world overall, but being uninvolved just makes room for different world powers, which isn't really an improvement.

Trump's a protectionist; again, sympathetic, but that policy is almost always more costly to consumers and workers than one would think. It's too simplistic to think high tariffs will bring companies into the US. Smart free trade is always better.

He's rude. Beyond just the generally repellent public persona, he's affirming a culture that I feel is positively destructive. How many times have I heard the phrase "he's the president, so support him." I've often hear people say America has a "real leader." And while I obviously can't blame Trump for this entirely, he also doesn't speak against it. Again, this is not "making America great again." The office of the presidency is not meant to be a ruler, it's meant to be a high ranking public office. Trump is a public servant, not a god. It is entirely possible to be patriotic and disagree fundamentally with what the president does. Point is, if he wants to make America great again, he should consider the attitude of some of his follower and explain to them why what they're doing is in opposition to the values that made America great in the first place.

I think that covers my main issues with Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times
Certainly not a boring POTUS like the Bushes, Obama, and even Clinton. What President has stirred so much without enacting a single law. When Obama implemented the Travel ban, did the media covered it? Nope. Even if it did have the same effect as the one Trump issued. Media companies love Trump, MSNBC & Fox has had a reversal of fortune as expected.

So for all the folks complaining about Trump, he has done nothing so far. It's all talk. Same as Obama, he was cheered in his 1st 100 days for doing literally nothing just like Trump so far.

Goes to show how people are so easy to be influenced by the media than think for themselves and react to actions not projections.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:05 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,064,944 times
Trump's decisions to bomb facilities in Syria after the chemical weapons attack, as well as his decision to arm Kurdish fighters against ISIS, are probably good ones. The grief Trump received for accepting the phone call with the president of Taiwan was also overblown. And at least his nepotistic connections have enough influence to prevent Pence and his ilk from passing sweeping religious liberty proposals to marginalize the LGBT community. Also, his tweets are sometimes amusing.

That's about all I can get out of Trump positively in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,722,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If the election were held today I predict that Trump would win by even wider margin.

The constant daily bleating of the extremist left, as demonstrated here daily at CD, has continued to alienate what's left of the Democrat party from mainstream America. It was highlighted this week by the backlash against Kathy Griffin. The left has lost all perspective, relevance, and even common sense.

I highly recommend that you Trump haters keep it up.
Your prediction would be wrong. You're free to keep drinking that Kool-Aid though. In fact I'm hoping you do. It's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL. I don't think so. The Democrat party was destroyed under Obama.
And the Republican party is being destroyed by Trump. That's why I don't wish for him to be impeached. He's doing such a fine job all by himself. Why screw up a good thing?

Old 06-02-2017, 10:12 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,218,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Certainly not a boring POTUS like the Bushes, Obama, and even Clinton. What President has stirred so much without enacting a single law. When Obama implemented the Travel ban, did the media covered it? Nope. Even if it did have the same effect as the one Trump issued. Media companies love Trump, MSNBC & Fox has had a reversal of fortune as expected.

So for all the folks complaining about Trump, he has done nothing so far. It's all talk. Same as Obama, he was cheered in his 1st 100 days for doing literally nothing just like Trump so far.

Goes to show how people are so easy to be influenced by the media than think for themselves and react to actions not projections.
He's issues an Executive Order telling various federal agencies to keep the ACA from being funded in an attempt to make it appear it's a failure. He gave the go ahead to build the DAPL. He banned international abortion counseling, something most Republicans do anyway. He pulled out of the TTP and made changes to NAFTA. He fired missiles at Syria, something that would be considered an act of war if done to a country with the capacity to fight back. He pulled out of the Paris agreement and has weakened ties with various European powers, which is an open invitation for China to begin influencing world policy.

Perhaps you and I have different definitions of "nothing."

Old 06-02-2017, 10:18 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,421,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Hard liberals and hardcore Trumpers are always screaming at each other on here (I'm guilty of that myself).

Just curious as to how the folks in the middle feel about Trump, as they are often drowned out by folks on opposite sides of each other yelling back and forth.

Good job thus far? Okay? Bad job? Anything you feel he's done well? some things he got wrong?
He needs to get his house in order. His background left him unprepared for the demands of the job. In his business life he makes contracts for everything, and other companies (big and small) carry them out, he did not run an otherwise complicated business structure. It is largely leases, licenses and royalties.

He also appears to have no ideology, he is inconsistent in his goals. I think he approaches everything as a trade, he has gone into bed with certain special interests and it shows in his cabinet appointments. He has made silly promises on the campaign trail and tries to honor them even though they are silly because that's the deal he made, not because it reflects good leadership, nor even that he believes in those promises.

He seems to make decisions like a poker player at the table. He plays the cards in his hand and bluffs a lot, different cards make a different game.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then stop whining about them all the time. Seems like it is now the turn of the GOP to be destroyed under an even more inept President. Neither Party is the answer.

It's the losers who are doing the whining.

Would you like some cheese?

Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
So for all the folks complaining about Trump, he has done nothing so far. It's all talk.....
How silly.

He's seated a Supreme Court Justice.

Cracked down on illegals and illegal immigration.

Ended the EPA's giagantic overreach.

Ended the tax penality for those choosing not to participate in Obamacare

Pulled us out of a hugely destructive "Accord" called the Paris Agreement foolishly negotiated by the nincompoop Obama.

And many many more things that are improving the lives of the common person and small business.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:41 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,639,617 times
I support some of his ideas and what he has been doing. However, some things like pulling out of the Accord yes. The after part not so much. I am a fan of him reducing the power of the Federal Government and giving States more power.

Support some of his immigration policies. Don't support the wall. Don't support his involvement in Syria, but do support the olive branch with Saudia Arabia.

Not really Trump. I don't trust not support most of his admistration and the Republican Party. Feel that their policies and decision making is driven by religious viewpoints or pockets lined by large corporations.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 AM

25,440 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Hard liberals and hardcore Trumpers are always screaming at each other on here (I'm guilty of that myself).

Just curious as to how the folks in the middle feel about Trump, as they are often drowned out by folks on opposite sides of each other yelling back and forth.

Good job thus far? Okay? Bad job? Anything you feel he's done well? some things he got wrong?
I fall in that category, I guess.

I hate him. I think he's a bit of a buffoon. Wish he would just stop tweeting.

But if he runs again, I am going to vote for him. As much as I think I would dislike him, I believe he is making the decisions that are best for America.
I want him to succeed and I want Ivanka to become our first woman president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies