Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:00 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
people have called me moderate, and I consider my self a liberal and not a progressive or moderate, but living in the deep south in an area controlled by the tea party, i am called an extremist in this part of the real world.

So i guess im saying you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

That being said, Pew research say what most people call "the middle" actually sits firmly within the platform of the Democratic Party. So if you are a moderate, you actually agree with the left more than the right, you probably just dont think the left will fulfill their promises/dont trust them to "stop" at the right point.
Maybe you and I have a different definition of the word "moderate"

I've never thought the word is positive or negative.

To me, it just means an individual who is not extreme, partisan, nor radical. I actually think MOST people in America are "moderate", believe it or not. So it is not it is anything special.

I think people call you moderate because you actually discuss things with people in a reasonable, civilized manner. Of course I can only speculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think so.

For example, I don't want to make anybody mad. I don't think I have that power to make anybody do anything they don't want to do.
Well, I've been around Trump worshippers enough to know anything that upsets liberals is a win for them, even if it destroys the country. You can also find numerous articles today that Trump's decision to leave the Paris Accord was out of spite to attack Obama's legacy and screw over Europe. He did not do it for the good of the country.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Maybe you and I have a different definition of the word "moderate"

I've never thought the word is positive or negative.

To me, it just means an individual who is not extreme, partisan, nor radical. I actually think MOST people in America are "moderate", believe it or not. So it is not it is anything special.

I think people call you moderate because you actually discuss things and you seem polite. Of course I can only speculate.
Im not really defining moderate, as what people call "extreme","partisan" or "radical" differ from person to person.

Again,I will use Pew for an example, people who self identify as moderates tend to actually support Democratic Party ideals when asked about it, or even just given the opportunity to state their own opinions free of sway from a fixed(read:Push) question.

i would argue most people are more "independent of party" than they are moderate.

Thats why people on this site who use ideological quizzes like "I side with" which has 100 questions and 10 possible answers to each question will give someone a 97% march with Trump,but their second closest candidates are like Bernie Sanders at 86% and the next republican is way down in 40% match range.

Its not moderation, its more like not being 100% either way, but having a set of ideals that candidates from both sides could have.

I see moderation as the actual middle ground. the left wants "10", the right wants 1, you choose 5 kind of thing...... if that makes sense.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:18 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, I've been around Trump worshippers enough to know anything that upsets liberals is a win for them, even if it destroys the country. You can also find numerous articles today that Trump's decision to leave the Paris Accord was out of spite to attack Obama's legacy and screw over Europe. He did not do it for the good of the country.
That's exactly right. A stupid move for stupid reasons. The mindset of an adolescent. This guy won't stop until he destroys everything that we fought and died for in WWII. Why should he care? He's an old man and his family has billions.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:22 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not really defining moderate, as what people call "extreme","partisan" or "radical" differ from person to person.

Again,I will use Pew for an example, people who self identify as moderates tend to actually support Democratic Party ideals when asked about it, or even just given the opportunity to state their own opinions free of sway from a fixed(read:Push) question.

i would argue most people are more "independent of party" than they are moderate.

Thats why people on this site who use ideological quizzes like "I side with" which has 100 questions and 10 possible answers to each question will give someone a 97% march with Trump,but their second closest candidates are like Bernie Sanders at 86% and the next republican is way down in 40% match range.

Its not moderation, its more like not being 100% either way, but having a set of ideals that candidates from both sides could have.

I see moderation as the actual middle ground. the left wants "10", the right wants 1, you choose 5 kind of thing...... if that makes sense.
well, it makes sense.

I only suggested your definition and my definition of the word "moderate" are different. That is all.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
"Even if it destroys the Country" shows the level of dysfunction and malice they have. But, when you seek to destroy the other half, you end up destroying yourself, too.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:21 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Hard liberals and hardcore Trumpers are always screaming at each other on here (I'm guilty of that myself).

Just curious as to how the folks in the middle feel about Trump, as they are often drowned out by folks on opposite sides of each other yelling back and forth.

Good job thus far? Okay? Bad job? Anything you feel he's done well? some things he got wrong?

I think he's doing a fair job. The media needs to get off his back, however.
I like his crackdown on illegal immigration.
He doesn't seem to have a real plan for healthcare.
He has already had a lot of turnover in his administration.
He hasn't gone after Hillary Clinton at all which is a disappointment.
He really hasn't been in office long enough to make a fair assessment.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:49 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
I have no clue where I fall on the political spectrum. I do not think anybody or any political entity should deficit finance anything. Perhaps houses and infrastructure. The federal government needs to make good on all their bonded indebtedness and stop borrowing for anything. Like we taught the kids, if you can't pay for it in 30 days, don't spend it.

All people should be treated equally by the the law.

Make abortion rare and legal by teaching women their worth is not decided by some male who only wants to get in their pants.

Any business that poisons the air or water needs to pay for the clean up and forever be forbidden to operate another business. If they can't run their business without harming others, a pox on them.

Where does that put me?

IMO, government and business are 180 degrees apart. DH was in management, M&A and long range planning for a fortune 100 company his entire working life. Trump doesn't get it. And, he does not want to. Government is not a business. That's my problem with him. He is a know it all. And what he knows is all that he needs to know. He is not curious.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:55 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Day View Post
It is interesting how 30 or so years of the Left having the bit in it's teeth has finally served to radicalize the Right. This time around, I'm seeing it amongst the young.

It should be exciting.
The "radicalized" right is a fringe group who got lucky electing a buffoon for president because they had help from people who thought he would be better than a career politician. That ship has sailed already and it's barely six months into his term. This country will never embrace alt-right, tea party, or any other extreme right (or left for that matter) agenda as a whole. So this radical right you are referring to is of no significance.

The trick hard righters need to pull off is how to keep convincing the independents and moderates that your agenda benefits them. When Trump gets done that's going to be virtually impossible. Most people with any sort of intelligence are already dropping their support for him.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:00 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
Quote:
I don't think so.

For example, I don't want to make anybody mad. I don't think I have that power to make anybody do anything they don't want to do.
You are not the type of person being referred to. You are willing to criticize trump when you don't agree with him.

There is a segment out there known as anti anti-trumpers. All they care about are p! Ssing off the left, no matter what the issue or harm that is caused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies