Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:08 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,287,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Cite some ( good ) data or stop assuming that how you feel is how most people feel.
The vast majority of white white and black black marriages and who they dated prior is a good start.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,780,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Of course, but it is a good example of double standards. Do all double standards and Stereotypes need to go away before there can be true racial equality?
Well, this country has put up with double standards and racial inequality for hundreds of years thus far. Do you really think we can count on that ending anytime soon?

Old 06-03-2017, 11:43 AM

39,160 posts, read 27,554,153 times
Racial pride sounds like stolen valor to me.

add: this guilt thing is weird too. lol

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-03-2017 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-03-2017, 11:58 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Racial pride sounds like stolen valor to me.

add: this guilt thing is weird too. lol
Actually, stolen valor is a perfect way to put it. Where does the sense of accomplishment come from in racial pride. That's what I've never been able to figure out.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,795,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Racing View Post
I have read every response in this thread and it seems that most people here have personal experiences with the black male/white woman marriages than any other and that is why I am confused why the marriage rates are so low compared to the other interracial marriages in the link I provided. One poster said that the vast black male/white female unions do not marry so this might explain my confusion as it could be the most prevalent interracial union just that they do not get married much but other mixes do get married.
If you want more musings and insight into the subject I would peruse some old closed threads in the Relationships forum. There's a lot of old butthurt on there in regards to this subject, going back to threads that were started like 10 years ago. People aren't even allowed to talk about it on there. That's pretty funny considering the title of the board is "Relationships". I guess only certain couplings are considered valid. I don't post on there much anymore because I'm sick and tired of the attempts to try and silence my free speech. Amazingly the Politics board has much more intelligent, mature, and diverse discussions. Edit: Just saw the post right before mine that will be deleted I assume, so disgusting, so I'm going to add "usually", to my previous thought.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 06-03-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 12:46 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,578,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, stolen valor is a perfect way to put it. Where does the sense of accomplishment come from in racial pride. That's what I've never been able to figure out.
Yeah, this. I'm not sure how pride is an appropriate reaction to the characteristics with which one is born. I've always though of it as something one earns with one's achievements.

I feel the same way about people who boast about how proud they are to be American, when all they did was "pick" the right parents. Hell, those refugees and "illegals" we are fighting to keep out are giving up more to be here.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:58 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Stick with your own race.
Says you. I will be with who I want to be with. Anyone who objects, well, nothing you can do about it.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:06 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,588,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While I would not outlaw them, I am opposed to such marriages. Many people, probably a majority feel the same way, but rarely express their view publicly. Most whites and most minorities want their children to marry the same or similar race.
It is also common for parents to want their children to marry someone of the same faith, assuming they are religious.

So while it might sound very progressive or "open-minded" to say you support it, most would not want their own kids marrying outside of their race.
The most important factors in a marriage: love and support.

Different color skin is no different than different color hair.

Can there be significant cultural differences between races that cause additional stresses in a marriage? Yes. But there can also be significant cultural differences within the same race but from different geographic and even political backgrounds.

A black Muslim from Nigeria may have a ton of cultural differences than a black Christian from Alabama.

A white atheist liberal from San Francisco would most likely have major cultural differences than a white Ortdox Christian from Latvia.

I just don't think it's really a big deal, or even a small one.

My opinion anyways.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,890,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Racing View Post
The USA is getting much more racially diverse with all the different mixing going (my personal favorite are Eurasians). Does everyone think this will be a good thing in the future for the country? I was honestly surprised that the most common racial or ethnic pairing among intermarried couples as of 2015 is one Hispanic and one white spouse (42%). Next most common are one white and one Asian spouse (15%) and one white and one multiracial spouse (12%). This was a complete shock to me as I thought the most common pairing was black males with white women but couples including one black and one white spouse accounted for about one-in-ten (11%) intermarried couples in 2015, a share that has held more or less steady since 1980.. Interesting info in the link below.

Intermarriage in the U.S. 50 Years After Loving v. Virginia | Pew Research Center
To be fair: when Jim Crow was still legal; MOST "Hispanic" people WERE counted as "white", even those who are def part Black or Indian looking that their kind.

Tho Virginia; despite its super strict laws against "mixed" marriages, the state govt DID have the "Pocahantas Exemption" since so many of that state's upper class families had that American Indian lady as their ancestor. To me, that was a straight up double standard since other people with AI family were banned from marrying white or even Black people.

BTW: most people with 25 percent or less "Black" family, their kind usually claim anglo white in 2017, especially if they could NOT pass for Black in looks.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Stick with your own race.

I do--- the human one. So I gather you must gravitate to the local indigenous critters. Watch out for them there teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.