Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 10:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Our tax dollars go to illegals which the government gives them a few thousand dollars to relocate in a different state.
Most Americans are brought up in a certain area and that is all they know. They cling to what they can and sometimes the men go off and look for work leaving the family in the home. On my travels there are men who work blue collar jobs and go where the work is. They don't make a ton of money but they try to survive with living expenses and saving and sending money home.

Some areas are just dead when it comes to getting a job. Most college kids have to relocate if they grew up in an area with corn stalks and dirt roads and pine trees for miles around.

How about giving them a one way relocation to Jalisco? It's a different state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 10:17 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
SSD is what the CHILDLESS use, precisely because it's the only welfare they can get. AFDC (now TANF) is what single parents sign up for; it is only AFTER they hit their TANF time limit they go on SSD.
SSD is Social Security Disability and requires paying into Social Security for 40 quarters
(10 years). Most young single parents on TANF don't have a 10 year work history and would only be eligible for SSI which pays around $780 a month but is rather difficult to get. Just losing your TANF is not a good enough reason to get SSI.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:22 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I have a distant family member in this situation. SEVEN children from FOUR fathers. Hasn't worked a day since she was 18. Lives off a combination of social benefits in a trailer out in the middle of nowhere. Three of her kids had their own kids before they were even 18. In addition to her kids left in the house, she's raising a couple of her grandkids now, with family members raising a couple others. Life revolves around visits to social services offices in a never-ending spate of interviews to squeeze additional funds for a variety of "disabilities".

She was a very good student with great prospects who went down the wrong path starting with her first child at 16. Even the early support of her parents couldn't right her ship. One child after another resulted in morbid obesity that became the reason why she can't work and needs help. Then one by one the kids were put through the system with one learning disability after another, resulting in lots of gov't handouts. She just had her seventh child at age 42.

Nothing she does makes sense and it's not due to any actual disability. Her "job" has simply become gaming the system.
This is why I am such a proponent of birth control. Having a child when you are too young and unmarried, or worse, multiple children is a ticket to poverty. Often a generational one. People don't want to give high school kids comprehensive sex education and ready access to reliable forms of contraception like the IUD or the pill because they are afraid it will encourage the teens to have sex. Realistically, teens need no encouragement and this sort of thing leads to generational poverty with people becoming grandparents in their early forties.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Cut off the money.
If you did they would be out writing bad checks, panhandling and probably selling their prescription pain meds. There's no good solution to this, but someone needs to call CPS and see about getting those kids out of that house.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
If a person on disability can do stuff like stock shelves but the employer wants the shelves stocked in say 3 hours but it takes the disabled person a lot longer then the disabled person will still be unemployed. How is the person supposed to pay rent, utilities, buy food, etc. when the person is kicked off disability but still is unemployable by employer standards? Society is forcing people like me to be homeless and die in the streets or resort to crime for survival.

I was able to stock shelves, racks, etc. when I worked retail, but it took me nearly twice as long as other people due to the health problems. I was fired from every job. Wasn't my fault. I made myself physically ill trying to keep up with everyone else. I have no way to force anyone to hire and keep me nor can anyone else.

Someone in this thread questioned the definition of "disability". It's defined as the inability to engage in "Substantial Gainful Activity" (SGA), which effectively amounts (roughly) to the inability to earn a poverty level income. An applicant's skills are considered, and it's easier to qualify if your skills + your health make you unemployable by contemporary employer standards. A lot of people with, say, mobility limitations (like the shoulder injury mentioned earlier) could do work, but their skills and mobility limitations render them unwanted by employers.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
This is why I am such a proponent of birth control. Having a child when you are too young and unmarried, or worse, multiple children is a ticket to poverty. Often a generational one. People don't want to give high school kids comprehensive sex education and ready access to reliable forms of contraception like the IUD or the pill because they are afraid it will encourage the teens to have sex. Realistically, teens need no encouragement and this sort of thing leads to generational poverty with people becoming grandparents in their early forties.
I agree and think that young women should get cash incentives for using LARC

Old 06-03-2017, 10:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How did HE get a mortgage?
Lol...your guess is as good as mine.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree and think that young women should get cash incentives for using LARC
I agree! I'd be happy to support a monthly step-up in benefits for a woman willing to use long-term birth control. I don't give a crap about the long-winded rebuttals of "Eugenics!" or "Racism!" If a woman on welfare or disability sees the value in putting off pregnancy then make it a win-win and reward their responsibility.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:48 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
SSD is Social Security Disability and requires paying into Social Security for 40 quarters
(10 years). Most young single parents on TANF don't have a 10 year work history and would only be eligible for SSI which pays around $780 a month but is rather difficult to get. Just losing your TANF is not a good enough reason to get SSI.
It pays max of $735/month.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It pays max of $735/month.
You are correct, I apologize for the $45 error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies