Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 12:51 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Get rid of disability benefits then. Republicans control all 3 branches of the government. No excuses.
I don't understand. You say you are a Democrat, but you have traditionally Republican views. What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 12:56 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You simply can't "reform" this "welfare state" already. The train is gone.
The gap between the haves and have nots is so huge by now, and the cost of living is so high, that you'd have to work these people to death for them to be able to support themselves, and then some more. Besides, in this ever-growing "competitive environment" - when the employers are so demanding in how they want job to be done - what kind of "quality" this type of people can offer to their perspective employers? ( Or to their perspective customers for this matter)?
Exactly right. We're at the point where the bottom 25% of American society is economically obsolete, thanks to globalization and automation. The welfare state is the only way these people will survive. The alternative is to do what societies have done since the beginning of civilization: send them off to die in a war. But I'd say that's pretty barbaric.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:04 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This is an excellent article on what is going on with Disability. Read the whole thing and it will be very clear what's going on.

"In Hale County, Alabama, nearly 1 in 4 working-age adults is on disability.[2] On the day government checks come in every month, banks stay open late, Main Street fills up with cars, and anybody looking to unload an old TV or armchair has a yard sale.

Sonny Ryan, a retired judge in town, didn't hear disability cases in his courtroom. But the subject came up often. He described one exchange he had with a man who was on disability but looked healthy.

"Just out of curiosity, what is your disability?" the judge asked from the bench.
"I have high blood pressure," the man said.
"So do I," the judge said. "What else?"
"I have diabetes."
"So do I."

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
I've read this before, so I'll have to repeat this again;
The judge has a sitting job, that's why he can handle it with a high blood pressure.
That man he questions is forced into PHYSICAL LABOR, which is impossible to handle with high blood pressure.
If the judge is so dumb that he doesn't comprehend such simple things, he probably shouldn't be a judge at the first place, since it's an intellectual job.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I've read this before, so I'll have to repeat this again;
The judge has a sitting job, that's why he can handle it with a high blood pressure.
That man he questions is forced into PHYSICAL LABOR, which is impossible to handle with high blood pressure.
If the judge is so dumb that he doesn't comprehend such simple things, he probably shouldn't be a judge at the first place, since it's an intellectual job.
25% of the town is on Disability. The town doctor that interviews people for Disability first asks them what their education is. If they only have high school, he's more likely to say they are disabled. This is utterly ridiculous. You have a region in the country that constantly demonizes education and calls people who worked and went to college "elitists", while those same "elitists" are paying for these people to claim Disability!!!

The reason why the top five states on Disability are in the South is because word spreads and it becomes a "system". When entire towns in Kentucky are depending on Disability, when almost 10% of West Virginia is on Disability, it has become completely out of hand.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Cut off the money. Hunger is a great motivator.

what do YOU care about it? You don't even pay taxes or contribute to society in any way. Just take take take, use, use, use, let OTHERS pay the taxes !! You have zero right to say anything

Old 06-03-2017, 01:24 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
IMO the biggest issue is the number of kids these people are having. At some point where going to have to consider some sort of limit to the number of kids a woman can have while on assistance.

I hate to say it, and I know it's going to get me some heat but I think Dr. Cornelius Rhodes had the right idea when he tried to do voluntarily sterilization programs (in exchange for getting money) in Appalachia and Puerto Rico back in the 1930s. Maybe do something voluntary like Rhodes did. Maybe require a certain income level per child. I don't know, but I do know that the status quo is not sustainable. This is also why it enrages me when Republicans try to get rid of Planned Parenthood.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IMO the biggest issue is the number of kids these people are having. At some point where going to have to consider some sort of limit to the number of kids a woman can have while on assistance.

I hate to say it, and I know it's going to get me some heat but I think Dr. Cornelius Rhodes had the right idea when he tried to do voluntarily sterilization programs (in exchange for getting money) in Appalachia and Puerto Rico back in the 1930s. Maybe do something voluntary like Rhodes did. Maybe require a certain income level per child. I don't know, but I do know that the status quo is not sustainable. This is also why it enrages me when Republicans try to get rid of Planned Parenthood.
More kids, more disability.

"As I got further into this story, I started hearing about another group of people on disability: kids. People in Hale County told me that what you want is a kid who can "pull a check." Many people mentioned this, but I basically ignored it. It seemed like one of those things that maybe happened once or twice, got written up in the paper and became conversational fact among neighbors.

Then I looked at the numbers. I found that the number of kids on a program called Supplemental Security Income -- a program for children and adults who are both poor and disabled -- is almost seven times larger than it was 30 years ago."

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Old 06-03-2017, 01:42 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The government has to stop incentivizing poverty. This is the story of liberalism.
That is it!

I was thinking poverty is growing because they are the only ones that can afford to have kids, because the taxpayers raise them from birth through the grants they get to go to college.

Many states had caps on how many kids would continue to raise the money welfare check, but most have removed them. While those not supported by the government have to "cap" their family size. Of course, the number living in poverty will continue to grow.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:43 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don't understand. You say you are a Democrat, but you have traditionally Republican views. What's going on?
I'm a peon. Doesn't matter what I want or don't want. Besides, Republicans have been complaining about these things for years. They always say they want to get rid of it all. Now is the time. Put their money where their mouths are.

Added by edit.

And I'm sick and tired of Republicans telling me I want free stuff. Between my 6 figure day job and house flipping side business, I bet I make more money than most of them. Kill all social programs. I bet Republicans will be affected a lot more than us. Let's see who will lose out more.

The orange maniac is president. I don't care about anything else anymore.

Last edited by MetroWord; 06-03-2017 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The government has to stop incentivizing poverty. This is the story of liberalism.
Guess again.

"In May 2015, nearly a year before Conn was indicted, the Social Security Administration abruptly notified hundreds of his former clients that the agency would suspend their checks while redetermining if they were still eligible.

The agency said it was taking that action because there was reason to believe some cases Conn’s firm handled included fraudulent information from four doctors.

The move was a blow in Eastern Kentucky, where disability income is a significant part of the economy.

The agency decided not to cut off off checks during the re-determination process after Republican U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers interceded."

Disability attorney Eric Conn pleads guilty in fraud case | Lexington Herald Leader

And then there's this:

It's Official: The States With The Highest Numbers of Welfare Recipients are GOP-Controlled RED STATES! Americans Against the Tea Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies