Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
For real. I cant figure that one out either. Kids getting disability checks for ADHD. I once believed disability was for folks who could NO LONGER work due to some medical condition. If one has never worked how can one be disabled to work.
I think it would be pretty hard to get SSI for ADHD, usually the only kids who get SSI are severely disabled. Disabled children with low income parents can get SSI, but SSI is not based on work history, even for adult applicants, it's basically federal welfare for the disabled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 02:09 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
as I said, younger workers are almost always denied unless they can't do any work at all. friend of mine's son applied for SSDI after he had been in a bad accident and had a number of physical limitations, his prior job had been working as a carpenter's helper. He was denied SSDI, he appealed & it ultimately went before a judge. The judge said "I am denying your claim, in my opinion you could get a job folding clothes at the Gap" he objected and said that there weren't any jobs like that available, the judge said "I don't care, there's a job like that somewhere and I've decided you can do it"
Under SSI a child can be found disabled and given SSI (it's hard to get) if the parent's income is low enough https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm SSI has nothing to do with working, you can apply for SSI without ever having worked a day in your life.
That is unfortunate for the friend's son, I have heard of this happening to a young woman I know, being dismissed though she really was ill. Others go though pretty easily - ADD and obesity in the young...

I still think SSI should be limited to adults, who may have to be self supporting, not dependent minors. Parents low income enough already qualify for other benefits for their child. It is disturbing because some parents seek to have their kids qualify as disabled to get the extra money. It places a stigma on the kid, who may not even feel or want to be labeled disabled.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:34 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm saying it needs reformed with more grey areas and categories or distinctions. 55 isn't old make them get off of their butts and go work at the Hallmark gift shop.

With certain physical or mental disabilities it's possible someone could work part time but not full time.

I find it hard to believe only 1 percent of people are abusing it.
That 55 year old can go apply for a job at a gift shop but that doesn't mean the gift shop will offer the job to that person. The employers make the decision about who will be employed.

SSA will not qualify you for disability if you can work a part-time job. It's all or nothing. And they often deny people who are completely unemployable from their health conditions if it still doesn't meet criteria in their magic list.

They are trying to kick me off even though they admitted I couldn't do previous work, which included a desk job. I was told to "adapt" to something else. When you can't work a desk job then what's left to "adapt" to? They wouldn't answer that. I wasn't even able to hold down a part-time job in my life and they are kicking me off. If I lose the appeal I'll have no choice but to die. The medications I'm on to keep me alive run about $2k a month. I'll either die very painfully via my medical conditions or I can end it myself. I already told my doctors that I was going to do the latter and they didn't even care either way. I'd have no way to obtain medical care without the disability/medicaid and here you cannot get medicaid if you're not disabled or working 20 hrs/week. The sliding scale clinic even requires a minimum of $20 up front even if you have no income and that doesn't include medication costs. Since it's been proven over the years that no one will ever hire and keep me then I will lose everything if I lose the appeal. I haven't even been offered a job since 2009. I've never been able to pull off SGA in my life no matter how hard I tried. SSA went against its own supposed guidelines when they issued the decision.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is unfortunate for the friend's son, I have heard of this happening to a young woman I know, being dismissed though she really was ill. Others go though pretty easily - ADD and obesity in the young...

I still think SSI should be limited to adults, who may have to be self supporting, not dependent minors. Parents low income enough already qualify for other benefits for their child. It is disturbing because some parents seek to have their kids qualify as disabled to get the extra money. It places a stigma on the kid, who may not even feel or want to be labeled disabled.
I tend to agree, the child should be eligible for medicaid based on the families income and possibly TANF cash, so I don't really see why we should need to give a child the same $735 every month that an adult on SSI would be expected to live on.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
That 55 year old can go apply for a job at a gift shop but that doesn't mean the gift shop will offer the job to that person. The employers make the decision about who will be employed.

SSA will not qualify you for disability if you can work a part-time job. It's all or nothing. And they often deny people who are completely unemployable from their health conditions if it still doesn't meet criteria in their magic list.

They are trying to kick me off even though they admitted I couldn't do previous work, which included a desk job. I was told to "adapt" to something else. When you can't work a desk job then what's left to "adapt" to? They wouldn't answer that. I wasn't even able to hold down a part-time job in my life and they are kicking me off. If I lose the appeal I'll have no choice but to die. The medications I'm on to keep me alive run about $2k a month. I'll either die very painfully via my medical conditions or I can end it myself. I already told my doctors that I was going to do the latter and they didn't even care either way. I'd have no way to obtain medical care without the disability/medicaid and here you cannot get medicaid if you're not disabled or working 20 hrs/week. The sliding scale clinic even requires a minimum of $20 up front even if you have no income and that doesn't include medication costs. Since it's been proven over the years that no one will ever hire and keep me then I will lose everything if I lose the appeal. I haven't even been offered a job since 2009. I've never been able to pull off SGA in my life no matter how hard I tried. SSA went against its own supposed guidelines when they issued the decision.
I hope you win your appeal, but something to keep in mind, even in states that did not expand medicaid, there is usually a process for being certified as disabled by your physician even though you are not receiving SSDI or SSI.

How long were you on SSDI before they decided to kick you off, did you receive a notice of review or what?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I hope you win your appeal, but something to keep in mind, even in states that did not expand medicaid, there is usually a process for being certified as disabled by your physician even though you are not receiving SSDI or SSI.

How long were you on SSDI before they decided to kick you off, did you receive a notice of review or what?
I am on SSI. I have never been physically healthy enough to hold down a job. I first applied for it in 2007 and it took until 2011 before it was approved. Had to go through a long appeal process.

Here in KY Medicaid and food stamps do not consider you disabled unless you are receiving SSI or SSDI. It doesn't matter how messed up you are. I was turned down for medicaid and food stamps for a while and was having trouble getting medical treatment until I was finally approved. I had tens of thousands in unpaid medical bills from trips to the e.r. And I often couldn't get the money for the actual medications.

They started an early review last year after I had already passed one and decided that even though I had no medical improvement (I've actually got worse) that I had to "adapt" and that they were cutting me off.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree, the child should be eligible for medicaid based on the families income and possibly TANF cash, so I don't really see why we should need to give a child the same $735 every month that an adult on SSI would be expected to live on.
$735 is the maximum amount. The family income would be taken into account and the amount would be reduced according to that.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
$735 is the maximum amount. The family income would be taken into account and the amount would be reduced according to that.
I understand that, but they still receive more than most non-disabled TANF families of 3 people receive,

here's an example: (Sierra is the disabled kid)

"Sierra's mother works and has gross monthly income of $1,000. Sierra's stepfather works and has gross monthly income of $2,200. Sierra's father pays $250/month in child support for Sierra.

Sierra also has $250 per month in unearned income in the form of child support. Social Security counts $166.67 of the child support as income (two-thirds of the total). So, Sierra's total monthly unearned income is $166.67 + $86.50, or $253.17. Social Security then performs the calculation on Sierra's unearned income.
Sierra's $20 deduction is subtracted from the $253.17 to come up with a total countable income of $233.17. That income is subtracted from the current maximum monthly SSI for a child ($735), to leave Sierra with $501.83 in SSI each month. (Sierra lives in a state without a state supplementary payment."
)
How Family Income Is Deemed for Child SSI Applicants | Nolo.com

$501.83 isn't bad income for a kid, in Tennessee a TANF parent and two children get $185 cash

Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I am on SSI. I have never been physically healthy enough to hold down a job. I first applied for it in 2007 and it took until 2011 before it was approved. Had to go through a long appeal process.

Here in KY Medicaid and food stamps do not consider you disabled unless you are receiving SSI or SSDI. It doesn't matter how messed up you are. I was turned down for medicaid and food stamps for a while and was having trouble getting medical treatment until I was finally approved. I had tens of thousands in unpaid medical bills from trips to the e.r. And I often couldn't get the money for the actual medications.

They started an early review last year after I had already passed one and decided that even though I had no medical improvement (I've actually got worse) that I had to "adapt" and that they were cutting me off.
That's too bad, I heard that they were doing a lot of reviews in some of the states that had high numbers of recipients, I hope you win your appeal if not, with the medical care you need would it be possible to move to a state with expanded medicaid?

Old 06-05-2017, 07:17 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The "Rust Belt" is not rural, and yes this was another swipe at those who live in rural America even to the point of making up a place such as the "Rural Rust Belt".

If you want to go that route again, have at it but it will be your own fault when we get another four years of Trump.
A swipe by a Trump voter from Nebraska?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies