Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:15 PM

52,245 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

What is it with some people.

This need to rewrite history by some people. There are groups of people that go around and protest statues and work on changing building's names because they don't like that particular person or group. These people don't like or are offended by these people. They are a bunch of idiots as far as I'm concerned. History is history, we shouldn't go around changing things that "upset" us or don't make us look as pleasant as we can. This moral superiority is stupid to me. We need our history, warts and all.

There are groups trying to have books like Huck Finn rewritten and having characters like "****** Jim" whitewashed.

Why??? Don't we want to see where we were and where we are now??? Don't we need to be reminded to a certain extent of our past indiscretions. Shouldn't we keep these statues, building names and character references the same to keep us aware of the inequities of the past, don't we learn from the past? Isn't that something that should be considered???

The far far leftist agenda appears to be the breaking down of this nation. I don't think those groups are really proud of America and all of the things that it stands for... Do we have some baggage, of course, not a group on the planet that doesn't' have baggage and blight in some ways.

Why whitewash history? What does it really serve to do that? Does it make us feel better while ignoring the facts and the reality of history??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 07:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Very dramatic please. The tearing down of statues doesn't white wash history. It just removes idols that may not represent to most people in that community honorable attributes.

Wasn't it the conservative Republicans that freaked out when history books were changed to tell the true story about the Indians and the Pilgrims, Christopher Columbus, Civil Rights, Viet Nam War.

Once again hypocrisy.....Revised U.S. history curriculum addresses criticism, but conservatives still object - LA Times

Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Very dramatic please. The tearing down of statues doesn't white wash history. It just removes idols that may not represent to most people in that community honorable attributes.

Wasn't it the conservative Republicans that freaked out when history books were changed to tell the true story about the Indians and the Pilgrims, Christopher Columbus, Civil Rights, Viet Nam War.

Once again hypocrisy.....Revised U.S. history curriculum addresses criticism, but conservatives still object - LA Times

It does if they are destroyed.

I think if these Civil War monuments must come down, then the very least, they should be placed in Civil War cemeteries and museums.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 PM

191 posts, read 161,250 times
I just watched Gone With the Wind and think that movie should be whitewashed.

Not because of the history, but because it actually just sucked.

Scarlett was a spoiled brat; loathsome. How is that movie a classic? Regret watching it.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:32 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
History is always evolving though. Statues come down for lots of reasons, not just "whitewashing" history. I have lived in South Carolina most of my life. Born here, bred here, etc. etc. I'm very glad the Confederate flag no longer flies on State House grounds, but I personally don't wish for statues and monuments to come down. As far as renaming buildings, who cares? These buildings will very likely be torn down at some point anyway. I see the naming both ways. Sometimes the best teaching methods are of what not to do.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:33 PM

52,245 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:

So... I take it you're for whitewashing our history?????

Old 06-03-2017, 07:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:

Like George Washington's statues?

The dude was our 1st POTUS and owned slaves.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:04 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
If we're tearing down Confederate statues after the civil war, shouldn't we be tearing down mosques after 9/11?

I wouldn't use the term white wash when it comes to history... comes off as privileged... what would be a PC equivalent...

Reorganization of historical context.
LOL

Old 06-03-2017, 09:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,730 times
Lets leave the Andrew Jackson statue up as long as next to it is a pictorial statue of the Trail of Tears.

It has been awhile since I've been to DC, so I don't recall completely if this is present but, I would have no objection to portion of the Lincoln memorial dedicated to providing info on his suspension of Habeous Corpus, the draft roits etc.

A great deal of our factual history does not reflect well on this noble experiment. In fact in many ways it is a complete opposite of what it is said we stand for and the version of history that is taught.

But this experiment has the potential of greater things to come.

I now await the anticipated " if you don't like it--move" comments.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What is it with some people.

This need to rewrite history by some people. There are groups of people that go around and protest statues and work on changing building's names because they don't like that particular person or group. These people don't like or are offended by these people. They are a bunch of idiots as far as I'm concerned. History is history, we shouldn't go around changing things that "upset" us or don't make us look as pleasant as we can. This moral superiority is stupid to me. We need our history, warts and all.

There are groups trying to have books like Huck Finn rewritten and having characters like "****** Jim" whitewashed.

Why??? Don't we want to see where we were and where we are now??? Don't we need to be reminded to a certain extent of our past indiscretions. Shouldn't we keep these statues, building names and character references the same to keep us aware of the inequities of the past, don't we learn from the past? Isn't that something that should be considered???

The far far leftist agenda appears to be the breaking down of this nation. I don't think those groups are really proud of America and all of the things that it stands for... Do we have some baggage, of course, not a group on the planet that doesn't' have baggage and blight in some ways.

Why whitewash history? What does it really serve to do that? Does it make us feel better while ignoring the facts and the reality of history??????
There is a difference between celebrating history and recognizing history.

The Confederacy happened. A rogue nation split off from another nations on the grounds of keeping the federal government from taking away their slaves. That happened and we should all be aware of it. We do not need statues celebrating this history to know the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies