Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:34 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Care to share with me the list of "third world" cities and towns the poster was referring to so we can go into those demographics?
The list would contain every city in Texas not named Austin, Cypress, Leon Valley, New Braunfels, Plano, McKinney, Cedar Park, Mesquite, Cedar Hills, Pasadena etc. and a long list of suburbs not in D-FW, San Antonio, Austin and Houston areas.

I'll start with big cities but it would take a while to name every city.

Amarillo
Laredo
El Paso
Lubbock
Brownsville
Tyler
Sherman
Beaumont
Denison
Longview
Odessa
Midland
Abilene
Waco
College Station
a long list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is deserving of more study which the Tea Party made sure would not go forward. Black women accounted to 11 percent of births but 28% of deaths, why wouldn't they be interested in studying this further.
Black women have a disproportionately high obesity rate, as well. Obesity complicates pregnancy. Risks both mother and child.

Quote:
Prevalence of Obesity in Black Adult Population

When Race Is Factored In, Obesity Rate Changes - The Atlantic

The Impact of Maternal Obesity on Maternal and Fetal Health - NIH

Old 06-05-2017, 08:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The list would contain every city in Texas not named Austin, Cypress, Leon Valley, New Braunfels, Plano, McKinney, Cedar Park, Mesquite, Cedar Hills, Pasadena etc. and a long list of suburbs not in D-FW, San Antonio, Austin and Houston areas.

I'll start with big cities but it would take a while to name every city.

Amarillo
Laredo
El Paso
Lubbock
Brownsville
Tyler
Sherman
Beaumont
Denison
Longview
Odessa
Midland
Abilene
Waco
College Station
a long list...
So, in one post you say El Paso isn't third world and now you add it to your list?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:58 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
"Yeah but Teump won. Get over it!"

"MAGA"

"Murica!"

The above is the extent of the dialogue you'll get from the conservatives on this board regarding the matter.
Stop it. You're being childish and unproductive. This thread has gone eight pages with people on both "sides" exchanging info and ideas without being jerks. Do you have anything of actual relevance to add? If not please go be a jerk somewhere else.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
I'm not a conservative but the conservatives are right. As a Nigerian immigrant I have heard of many a story of pregnant Nigerians (take in mind Nigerians are on the middle of the pack for this kind of stuff compared to other immigrant groups), who come to the U.S to have a baby, then go back to Nigeria with a child who could have access to U.S schools/colleges and the U.S way of life in 18 years, and Houston for this reason as well as the high amount of births (Houston grows quickly just from natural births alone), these factors as well as high birth regions like South Texas not having the hospital size and quality of a region with such high birth rates means that the mortality rate is probably high. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar study showed Texas and specifically Houston (which is known for its world class Hospitals) also had a one of the highest rates of births per 1,000 people period.
I'm only really a conservative on a few issues but they are definitely right on the immigration issue. The fact is they cost the country too much money. They pop out an anchor baby and immediately get on the system.

Make the states with sanctuary cities and so on absorb ALL of the costs and take any federal aid away from them. No federal Medicaid assistance, make the states foot the entire bill.

The money could be spent elsewhere it's ridiculous how the lefties have no problem with billions and billions of dollars being spent on illegal immigrants yet they'll whine about farm subsidies. WTF??? Does that make sense to anyone with a brain? Uhm no, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Highly likely. Additionally, Hispanic/Latino people have a disproportionately high obesity rate. Obesity complicates pregnancy with mild to life-threatening medical issues.

Hispanic Obesity, An American Crisis - NHCSL
Mexico is one of the fattest countries in the world, it's fatter than the U.S. even... as others have said, they bring their problems with them. Nothing changes just by crossing a border.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:15 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
That report was from 2000 to 2014. In May of this year, NPR did a report on the fact that US has the highest maternal mortality rate in the world, according to stats from 2015.

Do you direct your current attack on Texas towards the entire US (which includes conservative and liberal states) as well?

Old 06-05-2017, 09:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
El Paso has a high rate of illegals and is consistently the safest as well as one of the best cities in the U.S every single year.
El Paso is probably a lot different from what most who've never been there imagine it to be.

UTEP

Skyline

Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm a native Texan and this doesn't surprise me.

The "let them eat cake" mentality in this state (and to a large extent in this country) has always nauseated me.

The highway signs should be changed to say "Welcome to Texas: Keep Your Legs Closed!"
Exactly. I even have insurance and I can't get gyno care. I have Medicare and am having a tough time getting my annual PAP smear, despite the fact that my mother died of ovarian cancer when she was 45 so I am considered high risk. The last time I tried I called four different gynecologists and they all told me they would not see me because they did not accept Medicare. They don't want to take the slightly lower reimbursement rate. I have resorted to getting my family practitioner to do them for me, and although he can, he does not have the specialized equipment the gynecologist has to deal with problems that may arise.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Attempting to compare the US to other countries is apples to oranges comparison. First and foremost how those figures are compiled varies widely. In France for example any baby born under X weight is not considered a live birth, in the US if a baby takes a single breath it's considered a live birth regardless of any other circumstance.

One of the other major factors is they go to extraordinary lengths in the US to birth the baby so you have a lot of very sick kids being born. In other nations these high risk pregnancies are often aborted.
Not an issue in this case as maternal death has the same definition world over so it is comparing apples to apples actually, and in the US's case, those aren't good apples.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I don't answer to you.
You just did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies