U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:34 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,485,315 times

Advertisements

once again, I think there are different meanings for different situations. For instance, if a white guy was moving to South Dakota and stressed that he wanted to live in a "white" neighborhood then I would get an exclusionary connotation from that. On the other hand, if the same guy was moving to San Diego then I think the implied meaning would be different and less exclusionary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 03:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,128,367 times
I myself am confused when I read posts that start with, "I am a gay person and I'd like to live in a city that has skiing, affordable housing, and low crime." What does one's sexuality have to do with those preferences? But I try to not judge the person making the request; they surely have their reasons for sharing these things even if I don't understand it.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Okay, let me start out by saying that I am white. Let me also start out by saying that I am not racist and do not hate anyone because of their race. That aside, I came across a post a few weeks ago and a person looking for a place to live that suited him asked, "because of my beliefs, I would like to live in a nice white community". As you may imagine, this led to several immediate replies of 'bigot' and 'racist' from posters on this site. This even led to the removal of this person from this forum. My question is whether or not you believe this action was justified. Honestly, IMO if someone said the same line, word for word, but replaced it with 'black', 'hispanic', or 'asian', there would have been no cries of racism and in fact, many people would be giving their heartfelt advice on communities that they knew of. Have we become so accustomed in America to immediately call someone a racist after making these kinds of statements if it refers to being white? Personally, I feel the internet is a place where free speech should reign supreme, not political correctness and why have the moderators of this site allowed this individual to be censored? Please share your opinions--and I don't mean political talking points, I'd like to hear people's real opinion without fear of upsetting others.

A person should be able to ask anything they want and live anywhere they want, so even if people don't agree with the question it should be permitted to be asked. You said they stated "because of my beliefs" I'm not sure what exactly they meant but it does sound racist.

I agree with fishmonger's explanation.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:16 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Debate in this country isn't yet open as hate speech is basically, though slowly changing, defined as a white person making hateful comments about another person of another non-Caucasian race. If a black makes such comments about a Jewish person, it's considered offensive, but not hate speech. If a latin makes such comments about a black, it's considered poor manners and not hate speech. If any minority makes such comments about a Caucasian, it may be criticized and the listeners may hold the speaker in low regard, but it's largely dismissed under political correctness protocol, or the only criticism allowed or accepted is from within that person's community, not from outside.
Case in point...although extreme. This will shock you.
Dr. Kamau Kambon, an African American, is an affiliated faculty instructor at North Carolina State University, a professor of Africana studies. Keep in mind this is an accredited professor at a state university and here's what he said at the "Pro-Black Media Forum" reported in Oct. 05:
"Prior to his call for genocide against white people, Kambon, who owns Blacknific[e]nt Books in Raleigh, told the panel that “we are at war.” He said that white people had set up an "international plantation" for blacks, which made “every white person on earth a plantation master.” He said that, “You’re either supporting white people in their process of death, or you're for African liberation.”
He stressed one point in particular. “White people want to kill us. I want you to understand that. They want to kill you,” he said. “They want to kill you because that is part of their plan.”

Kambon closed his remarks by urging participants and C-SPAN viewers to "get very serious and not be diverted from coming up with a solution to the problem, and the problem on the planet is white people."

Before teaching at NCSU, Kambon was a professor of education at St. Augustine's College in Raleigh, a historically black institution. He was given a Citizen's Award in 1999 by the Triangle’s left-wing newspaper, The Independent Weekly. Ironically, Kambon is also an opponent of the death penalty.

Excerpts of Kambon's address may be heard online at the John Locke Foundation's blog site The Locker Room. The full remarks may be found at C-SPAN online (cspanDOTcom) by searching the recent programs for "Black Media Forum on Image of Black Americans in Mainstream Media."

To be accurate and fair, his comments were received with horror by the largely black audience and the organizer of the event, Opio Sokoni, strongly condemned Dr. Kambon for his comments. While he called for the genocide of whites, he also called black people "imitation N-word's". Mr. Sokoni explained that even radical black activists are appalled by Dr. Kambon's comments. But those comments were broadcast on C-Span and this man is still accredited to teach at a public university paid for by taxpayers. Had this man been white, or even Latino, and made a call for the genocide of blacks...do you think he would have been charged with a hate crime? Although he's clearly on the nutty extremist fringe of fringes of radicalism, to all parties, he can speak hate and not suffer any consequences other than the disgust of his listeners black and white or whatever. What we have to get to in this country at some point is an agreement that NO ONE, regardless of color, should be tolerated who speaks hate and advocates racial hatred, killing, murder, and genocide.
Would you want him teaching YOUR children in college whatever color they are? I personally think the days of tolerance for such individuals is past and almost gone. There is still clearly a race problem that affects blacks, particularly in areas of the South that we have to recognize and correct. However, I believe most people consider themselves American in this country and race has nothing to do with that.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-05-2006 at 04:51 PM..

Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
I teach my kids that there is only one race (human) with just a rainbow of colors.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:03 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
...However, I believe most people consider themselves American in this country and race has nothing to do with that.
Yes, MoMark, I would have to agree with you on that. This man was criticized, but did he lose his job? No honest person can deny the fury that follows when any white person makes remarks even remotely resembling racism. They will be prosecuted to no end. I don't want to support these types of rants from any color, but it shows you the duplicity in our society.

Here's the link to that professor's insane rant. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, start at 4:45 minutes in. This guy is ridiculous.
http://www.filecabi.net/video/killerwhitey.html

Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
once again, I think there are different meanings for different situations. For instance, if a white guy was moving to South Dakota and stressed that he wanted to live in a "white" neighborhood then I would get an exclusionary connotation from that. On the other hand, if the same guy was moving to San Diego then I think the implied meaning would be different and less exclusionary.
I understand your point fishmonger, but IMO both points (white or black perspective) carry exclusionary connonations--regardless of whether or not you want to think of it that way. The question I have is why have we decided that it is acceptable only to non-white individuals to make these comments? I like the comparison between South Dakota and San Diego, which makes sense, but I would bet you there would be calls of racism from posters on this site in the San Diego section as well.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM

752 posts, read 593,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
In Los Angeles, whites are definitely the minority, so I shouldn't be called a racist if I say I'd like to live in a white area, right?
In that case, yes you would be right.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:16 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,485,315 times
Default Well...

I guess the thing for me is that I don't really know of any truly EXCLUSIVELY black or latino neighborhoods, at least in the area where I live. I'm sure there are some... but let me give you Birmingham, Alabama (where I live) as an example...

Here we have some ridiculously, exclusively white suburbs with minority populations of less than 3 percent, even though like 40 percent of the people in the area are black. On the other hand, even the most heavily black areas are still like 14 percent white or so... this is just my experience from my own city but I admit things could be different in other places.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Well, there are plenty of areas in the Dallas/Ft Worth area to find that whites are the minority. Many are in some suburbs that I see people asking about. What are they most concerned with? The schools and safety. One of the things I suggest even for those that are looking for an area that they are wanting a higher concentration of one ethnic/race over another is a website called publicschoolsreport com They give an entire breakdown of the demographics of every school in the country. My suggestion w/ this site is to see if the area they are looking in most resembles what they are coming from. I don't ever say, oh this one has more whites or whatever. Besides, in our school district on the childs registration form we have to pick what race they are. I have several friend that are in a "mixed" marriage and get upset at this as if they put "black" they are discounting one of the parents. If they put "white" or "hispanic" they are discounting another parent. It really is sad that this is still a part of the culture around here and it is all because one ethnic group years ago got upset about their neighborhood school being heavily concentrated w/ their own "kind" and filed a lawsuit. So these children that have parents of different "colors" of skin have to pick which one they want to claim.

Anyway, as far as the demographics around here. Here is one in a local suburb in the mid-cities of D/FW that the "white" students are the "minority".
I'll see how this "table" copies from that site.

Daniels Elementary School Students by Race
Male Female Total
American Indiana/Alaskan 3 3 6
Asian/Pacific Islander 1 4 5
Hispanic 125 138 263
Black (Non-Hispanic) 84 83 167
White (Non-Hispanic) 50 38 88

So if someone that has never been to the D/FW area inquires looking in this particular area and they mention they want to be near a Jewish Synagogue or near Asian markets I will tell them the truth as they would be very disappointed if they were mislead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or