Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 AM

603 posts, read 1,995,698 times

Advertisements

Okay, let me start out by saying that I am white. Let me also start out by saying that I am not racist and do not hate anyone because of their race. That aside, I came across a post a few weeks ago and a person looking for a place to live that suited him asked, "because of my beliefs, I would like to live in a nice white community". As you may imagine, this led to several immediate replies of 'bigot' and 'racist' from posters on this site. This even led to the removal of this person from this forum. My question is whether or not you believe this action was justified. Honestly, IMO if someone said the same line, word for word, but replaced it with 'black', 'hispanic', or 'asian', there would have been no cries of racism and in fact, many people would be giving their heartfelt advice on communities that they knew of. Have we become so accustomed in America to immediately call someone a racist after making these kinds of statements if it refers to being white? Personally, I feel the internet is a place where free speech should reign supreme, not political correctness and why have the moderators of this site allowed this individual to be censored? Please share your opinions--and I don't mean political talking points, I'd like to hear people's real opinion without fear of upsetting others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 12:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Your right, there have been many posts from people asking where to find a large asian/black/hispanic/jewish population and they have not been called a "racist", "bigot", banned or anything. No one has put them down at all and most have been helpful. I agree that it is a shame that one can be called a "racist" or such for doing the exact same thing others do all the time but it is because and ONLY because the person was using the term "white" and not another race or ethnic term. What you've said does not upset me at all as I've noticed the same things. I'm "white" myself but with a "rainbow" of friends and have never seen myself as a racist ever. The only people I'm "racist" against are those that are just ignorant and that comes in all sizes, shapes and colors . Since you have brought this up I too would like to know why it is that every race/ethnic group can seek out "their own" but the minute someone mentions they are seeking a "white" area or something they are called a "racist"?

Old 12-05-2006, 01:29 PM

753 posts, read 758,896 times
Hi,

Being a bit oblivious to race myself, these kinds of conversations tend to be a bit silly. But in my opinion it's a game of numbers rather than racism.

If you have a population where there's a majority, when a minority seeks community with their own kind, generally it's the kind of place where people of a similar background congregate.

When the majority seeks out a community with their own kind, generally it's the kind of place where people of a different background don't congregate.

In the end, it's not hard to be around white people in America. So to say you want to live in a "white" community is implicitly exclusionary. For a minority, it's not hard to live in a "white" community either, maybe that's why they have to seek community with their own kind. That's my take anyway.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
If you have a population where there's a majority, when a minority seeks community with their own kind, generally it's the kind of place where people of a similar background congregate.
In Los Angeles, whites are definitely the minority, so I shouldn't be called a racist if I say I'd like to live in a white area, right? Nothing could be further from the truth; no one can say anything anymore that might be the least bit politically incorrect or controversial. Grrr...

What bothers me is that reverse discrimination (latinos against whites, for example) does exist. I've been a victim of that, but who'd listen to me if I said anything? It was nothing earth-shattering, just being ignored in a department store, that kind of thing... But it does exist, even if the powers that be aren't willing to hear about it.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:22 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Default My opinion...

Although I do think there's a double standard, I think a lot of the issue is the different meanings attached to different statements that sound the same. I think that when a black guy says he wants to live in a "black" neighborhood he means (generally) that he wants to live in a neighborhood with a lot of black people... he probably wouldn't be bothered by having a couple of white neighbors down the street.

On the other hand, when I hear a guy say he wants to live in a "white" neighborhood, I get the impression that they're saying they want to live in an exclusively white neighborhood and would probably be bothered by having a few black neighbors down the street; most neighborhoods in America are already "white" so the implied meaning is that you don't want to live around people of other races.

Now... if someone were to say they wanted to live in a neighborhood with no white people, then that would be a different case and that's where the double standard comes in in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,589 times
I am not racist, but I also think of how we were raised and what we grew up around. I myself wouldn't want to be put in an area of a whole different race. I am white of course, but I do treat others as I would like to be treated, no matter what shade of color they are.
I hope that I don't get booted off for asking for a town that has more whites, and only because I feel more comfortable around my own race, our town has all different colors and shades, but it is still a mostly white area, and we welcome who ever would like to live in our town, as long as they can speak english, so that we can understand them, so then we can make them feel more at home. If I am wrong sorry if I hurt anyone, there is no hate intened, on either side.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Actually I know of plenty of places in my area that whites are the minority. If you were coming from another place having never been here before and unknowingly reserved your spot/rental w/o ever seeing it or the neighborhood some might get a little rattled. I've driven all over this large metropolitan area and in many cases have founnd myself thinking to myself, "I'm the only white girl around for blocks". Does it bother me? No, not really as I'm probably in no more danger there than I am in any other area. Afterall I'm not out running the streets at 1 in the morning, flashing money or anything. Then there is the one place I lived in a suburb that most would think of the "white bread" burb. On my street of 14 houses there were only 6 houses that were lived in by white people. The rest were a nice mix: hispanic, black, biracial, phillipino, etc. We were all great friends and still are to this day. They are not the reason I moved. So if someone is moving to a new state/city/area and they are white, what is wrong w/ them asking what areas typically attract more whites? It's not like they are saying the want to live in an area that is exclusive to just whites. If people want to live around their "like kind", why is it still okay for some and not others? If someone that is coming to my area asks about areas that attract muslims, jews, hispanics, etc.. I let them know where those areas are. As it is those areas typically also have many stores/shops that cater to their dietary needs that can not be readily found at your average neighborhood market.

BTW, for the record, the area I live in is pretty diverse and I have no problem.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:48 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,779 times
FistFightingHairdresser posted:

Quote:
In the end, it's not hard to be around white people in America. So to say you want to live in a "white" community is implicitly exclusionary. For a minority, it's not hard to live in a "white" community either, maybe that's why they have to seek community with their own kind. That's my take anyway
Causcasions are not the majority in Los Angeles. Check out many of the southern California demographics. Causcasions maybe have been a majority in many westernized cultures, but this is changing in certain areas. That whole majority culture/race thing is like an old worn out sweater from the 60s with big holes in it. There is also a big tyranny of the minority thing going on here in America with several groups (which changes that whole dynamic you spoke of as well).

Discrimination is discrimination no matter what the race. Their are haters in every race and Caucasian people that ask similar questions about race that other races ask about get abused and discriminated against in the most in appropriate, hateful ways all the time. The PC police make sure everyone else is protected.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,698 times
Fishmonger, you spell out the exact point that I think has been burned into the psyche of america in our PC era and the point I was making. If a black guy says that kind of statement it's fine, but when a white person makes the identical statement, we percieve it as a person who wants to live ONLY with whites and not a "a few black neighbors" as you would put it. How can we legitimize one statement and embrace it, while denying and demonizing the same statement from another ethnic group, even when the underlying meanings are identical?

A point that has already been posted is that whites are the minority now in several major cities, and states I might add (TX, CA, the list goes on), so is it inherently racist for a white person to desire to live seperately in these communities? Your thoughts???

Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,779 times
oh the PC police and the lawyers. Shakespeare was right about the lawyers. Hail, hail . . . The old bard from England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies