Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:08 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Since when do Republicans care about veterans? I guess only when they want to do a commercial for TV. Republicans are a slippery bunch. That's why people take to the streets in protest.
Oh I totally agree with you. That is why overwhelming majority of veterans voted Hillary Clinton.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-15-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:20 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I agree the Carl T Hayden VA Hospital is very good. I always thank them for their care.
Absolutely. I just bought 3 boxes of See's Candy direct from the factory. Yesterday I brought one over to the local VA outpatient clinic for the staff who have treated my so fine over the years.

VA outpatient has a system called "Sick Call". You just show up between 7:30AM and 9AM without an appointment and fill out a green form and the PA will examine you and take care of minor problems. If she determines it's more serious, the doctor will examine you and prescribe appropriate treatment.
I have swollen glands in my neck. A bad sign. They immediately gave me a blood test for white blood cell count and liver function plus cancer screen.
Tomorrow they scheduled me for a complete cat scan at the Prescott, VA. Tuesday. a follow up with my VA PCP to go over the results and discuss our options for treatment.

I ask any of you, Where do you get such immediate, complete diagnosis and follow up care without any appointments in the civilian medical world?

Another thing, total cost for everything.........50.00 for the CAT scan.

I love the current VA system. Without it I'd been dead a long time ago.
Monday I'll go to Phoenix and bring a box of See's candy to the Phoenix VA Hosp and deliver it to the Vascular Surgery Dept. They've operated on me so many times we're all on a first name basis.

Just my experience to counter the posters who say the VA is broken, useless and needs to be abolished.

Thanks for reading

Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM

For the first time, I realized why SOME trump supporters are so hated.. How does a nation treat her veterans says a lot about this nation.

Shame

Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Don't believe EVERYTHING you read!

Don't believe what....Stars.com? As in Stars & Stripes?! As in the oldest military newspaper in the United States?

As a veteran that read it quite often while I served, I WILL believe everything Stripes.com says.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you're taking Social Security benefits, why should you be paid for being unemployed?

That's completely illogical.
Correct, but I think you're missing the point (as I understand it).

The problem is they are being FORCED to take SS early, which reduces their benefit now and in the future. I agree that they should not be allowed to double dip, but they should (IMO) be able to wait until the benefit is at it's max to take it, just like the would be able to if they were still working. (Remember, they are disabled because they served our country. Let's not penalize them for it further.)

Old 06-15-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Correct, but I think you're missing the point (as I understand it).

The problem is they are being FORCED to take SS early, which reduces their benefit now and in the future. I agree that they should not be allowed to double dip, but they should (IMO) be able to wait until the benefit is at it's max to take it, just like the would be able to if they were still working. (Remember, they are disabled because they served our country. Let's not penalize them for it further.)
I agree with you 100%

In my opinion, this is a program meant to provide financial assistance to an injured person in substantially the same manner as SSDI, so I can see why those who would want to change this regulatory law put forth the notion that it cease being paid at exactly the same time that SSDI ceases and Social Security begins.

I can "kind of" see both sides of the argument.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you 100%

In my opinion, this is a program meant to provide financial assistance to an injured person in substantially the same manner as SSDI, so I can see why those who would want to change this regulatory law put forth the notion that it cease being paid at exactly the same time that SSDI ceases and Social Security begins.

I can "kind of" see both sides of the argument.
Me too but agree with your earlier statement that a disabled vet ought to have the option to choose when his or her social security kicks in. Some want it at 62 and most want to wait until full retirement age. Every year you wait, I believe lifetime benefits go up 6.5%. That's a huge yearly increase.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Me too but agree with your earlier statement that a disabled vet ought to have the option to choose when his or her social security kicks in. Some want it at 62 and most want to wait until full retirement age. Every year you wait, I believe lifetime benefits go up 6.5%. That's a huge yearly increase.
Yep! agreed

Old 06-15-2017, 12:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's not tRump. No tRump has ever served in the US military. Sacrifice is for us little people.

Actually, this is long standing GOP orthodoxy:

1) start wars

2) praise the troops

3) underfund the VA/screw the vets

So right you are!

I remember when that warmongering Republican Lyndon Johnson had me drafted and in 1968 he sent me off to Vietnam. There's one Republican that tried to get me killed.

Prior to that my dad was drafted by Republican Harry Truman and sent off to Korea to fight and yet another worthless War.

And then there's World War II where my grandfather was drafted under Republican Franklin Roosevelt and sent off to yet another worthless War in the south sea far from home.

And now we can reach back to World War one where my other grandfather was drafted by Republican Woodrow Wilson and sent off on yet another worthless war that we had no business getting into.

//sarcasm off

Is that what they're teaching these days, that all the wars are started by Republicans and you believe it?

I am one of those drawing disability, I am rated at 50%, that is a direct result of my service as a combat medic in Vietnam.

Veterans Compensation Benefits Rate Tables - Effective 12/1/16

I got a feeling some Millennial here is going to be all jealous about the money that I receive every month. Don't be jealous, if I could I would trade you the money if you could take my disability. Any takers?

A married veteran with a 100% disability rating receives a monthly benefit of $3,078.11 which, in case you didn't know it, is exempt from all federal, state and local taxes.

I have a feeling the true story here is if the veteran was able to work most of his life and has a social security benefit, of say $2,000 a month, date Mike pay him the social security check and deduct that mm from the so he still ends up with a total monthly benefit of $3,078.11.

But I'm going to make sure I write my congressman because they're not about to take my money that I earned away from me.

Somebody really goofed up if they Advance this harebrained scheme save a few bucks.

But then, if I read it right, at 50% I won't be touched?

Just to let everyone know that if something appears to be a little off a couple weeks I broke my arm I cannot type and I'm relying on a voice to text translator and sometimes it doesn't get things exactly right. For example when I say bye I might mean by or buy. It's easy to miss this and I just ignore it but at least now you know the reason it's messed up sometimes.

Just offering a defense to the spelling Nazis.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:41 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
So right you are!

I remember when that warmongering Republican Lyndon Johnson had me drafted and in 1968 he sent me off to Vietnam. There's one Republican that tried to get me killed.

Prior to that my dad was drafted by Republican Harry Truman and sent off to Korea to fight and yet another worthless War.

And then there's World War II where my grandfather was drafted under Republican Franklin Roosevelt and sent off to yet another worthless War in the south sea far from home.

And now we can reach back to World War one where my other grandfather was drafted by Republican Woodrow Wilson and sent off on yet another worthless war that we had no business getting into.

//sarcasm off
Just so you know, none of those presidents started any of those wars.

Did they teach you what "start" means?

America joined existing conflicts. And both of my grand dads served in WW1. My dad and both uncles served in WW2, my dad being very seriously wounded in combat.

None of them were drafted.

Both of my brothers and I have served.

None of us was drafted.

Quote:
Is that what they're teaching these days, that all the wars are started by Republicans and you believe it?
All wars we've been involved with in this century have been started by Republicans.

You don't need to be taught that. If you didn't already know it, you could look it up.

Quote:
I am one of those drawing disability, I am rated at 50%, that is a direct result of my service as a combat medic in Vietnam.

Veterans Compensation Benefits Rate Tables - Effective 12/1/16

I got a feeling some Millennial here is going to be all jealous about the money that I receive every month. Don't be jealous, if I could I would trade you the money if you could take my disability. Any takers?

A married veteran with a 100% disability rating receives a monthly benefit of $3,078.11 which, in case you didn't know it, is exempt from all federal, state and local taxes.

I have a feeling the true story here is if the veteran was able to work most of his life and has a social security benefit, of say $2,000 a month, date Mike pay him the social security check and deduct that mm from the so he still ends up with a total monthly benefit of $3,078.11.

But I'm going to make sure I write my congressman because they're not about to take my money that I earned away from me.

Somebody really goofed up if they Advance this harebrained scheme save a few bucks.

But then, if I read it right, at 50% I won't be touched?

Just to let everyone know that if something appears to be a little off a couple weeks I broke my arm I cannot type and I'm relying on a voice to text translator and sometimes it doesn't get things exactly right. For example when I say bye I might mean by or buy. It's easy to miss this and I just ignore it but at least now you know the reason it's messed up sometimes.

Just offering a defense to the spelling Nazis.
Congress cutting benefits or rearranging tax structures to shift the tax burden from fatcats to disabled vets should be blasted by everyone in both parties.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies