Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you disapprove of Donald Trump?
Yes 174 64.44%
No 96 35.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2017, 10:13 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Very interesting poll from Gallup that breaks down Trump approval by state.

1. Those (17) states where Trump is at 50% or above in job approval: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming. These are all rockribbed Republican states and Trump carried all of them in 2016.

2. Those (17) states where Trump below 40% in job approval: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Washington. These are all solid Democratic states carried by Clinton in 2016.

3. Those (14) states where Trump job approval is over 40% but less than 50%: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas and Wisconsin. These were in general the battlegrounds in 2016, with the exception of a few states that were carried fairly easily by Trunp, but have large minority populations.

At the bottom of the article, you'll find the approval/disapproval for each state and the size of the sample. President Trump has a higher approval than disapproval in 19 states.

Trump Has Averaged 50% or Higher Job Approval in 17 States | Gallup

What's telling to me is that even in the most conservative of solid red states, his approvals are not especially high.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,315,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Very interesting poll from Gallup that breaks down Trump approval by state.

1. Those (17) states where Trump is at 50% or above in job approval: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming. These are all rockribbed Republican states and Trump carried all of them in 2016.

2. Those (17) states where Trump below 40% in job approval: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Washington. These are all solid Democratic states carried by Clinton in 2016.

3. Those (14) states where Trump job approval is over 40% but less than 50%: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas and Wisconsin. These were in general the battlegrounds in 2016, with the exception of a few states that were carried fairly easily by Trunp, but have large minority populations.

At the bottom of the article, you'll find the approval/disapproval for each state and the size of the sample. President Trump has a higher approval than disapproval in 19 states.

Trump Has Averaged 50% or Higher Job Approval in 17 States | Gallup

Gallup is known to oversample democrats.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 AM

15,573 posts, read 10,279,647 times
It is interesting that the OP claimed repeatedly Trump wouldn't win throughout the last election cycle based on multiple polls in multiple threads.

He did.

If the Democrat Party puts up a Leftist loony to compete for President in 2020, Trump will win again. I don't think people like Trump. I think American voters just despise Progressives.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM

37,729 posts, read 40,764,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The elected representatives of a state or district. They represent the people in their jurisdiction, not the people who voted for them or the people who's party lines up with their, but their constituents at an entire body, regardless of party or a vote. If that representatives disagrees, they're human filth undeserving of holding office.

People who don't vote are still entitled to agency. Anyone who takes that away is no better than a despot and deserving of a no better a fate.
Good customers' always get better service in stores/restaurants/car dealerships.

What's the first question you ask people whining about Joe President's policies? I contend that question is "Did you vote?" They are tuned out if they didn't or if they can't.

If I want to draw a conclusion as to whether Jane Democrat should be the party nominee do I ask everyone who answers the phone or just Democrat voters? What if it turns out that 25% of the people who answered the phone are illegal aliens or felons or people here on a visa who can't vote? Is it helpful to Jane Democrat or the people who spend money to get her elected to include an unknown percentage of them?

As far as comparisons of approval ratings, what if I told you in the sample of every adult who answered the phone in May for the first year of George Bush 30% weren't American citizens, for Obama 35% weren't American citizens and for Trump 40% weren't American citizens. I'm not saying Gallup is biased. I'm saying they don't know.

I contend Gallup's approval rating research is not helpful to any president.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM

12,931 posts, read 9,537,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How is it elitist to note that states with a lower QOL and lower wages might be considered "crappy?"

I mean, they clearly must not be happy if they voted for a trust fund baby who doesn't care about them because they were so desperate to see a white guy in office even if that white guy has an immigrant wife who once worked illegally in this country, yet they hate illegals.

Very warped logic that had to have come from misery.
I know, I just don't get all the free pass and double standards when it comes to this man.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,143,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Just imagine how this would have gone if some of the battleground states were not so heavily gerrymandered.

We need a serious look at this at the federal level.

I don't care which party does the gerrymandering. It's wrong.
It's in the Supreme Court. Being argued October 3.

Let's hope that they decide on what is right for America and not the GOP.

If they decide that it is basically unconstitutional, the GOP will be in trouble, and districts will have to redrawn so they are fair.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM

12,931 posts, read 9,537,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. How on earth could they possibly believe that a billionaire would care about the plight of the Average Poor Working Joe and Jane? Oh wait, he doesn't. What a huge surprise. And he certainly doesn't care about women, minorities, people who aren't Christian, in other words, people who aren't just like him.

But they hated Hilary so much they had to choose the other option. So now we have a Twitter addicted spendthrift incompetent narcissistic Russian loving suspected traitor as POTUS. Congratulations America!
That's what I always believed as well. Trump could never relate to them on a personal level because he never been there in his life, he would never be able to feel and understand it from their shoes. How could they believe that a billionaire was going to save them and save the world, with absolutely zero experience and knowledge of the game of Washington. Running Washington is a whole different animal than being a CEO of your own private company, it's no place for the novice.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,067,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Good customers' always get better service in stores/restaurants/car dealerships.

What's the first question you ask people whining about Joe President's policies? I contend that question is "Did you vote?" They are tuned out if they didn't or if they can't.

If I want to draw a conclusion as to whether Jane Democrat should be the party nominee do I ask everyone who answers the phone or just Democrat voters? What if it turns out that 25% of the people who answered the phone are illegal aliens or felons or people here on a visa who can't vote? Is it helpful to Jane Democrat or the people who spend money to get her elected to include an unknown percentage of them?

As far as comparisons of approval ratings, what if I told you in the sample of every adult who answered the phone in May for the first year of George Bush 30% weren't American citizens, for Obama 35% weren't American citizens and for Trump 40% weren't American citizens. I'm not saying Gallup is biased. I'm saying they don't know.

I contend Gallup's approval rating research is not helpful to any president.
Much of this has little to do with what I was saying.

Any representative who says "I don't care about what people who didn't vote think" should be dragged out of office. They're ****. And if they say they don't care about those who didn't vote for them, they should be dragged and beaten in the streets.

These people, rather it's a congressman or a president or a mayor, are elected to serve their constituents. Not their party. Not just the voters.

A Republican representative from a distraction that's 60% Republican and 40% Democrat still has to listen to that 40%. And he's supposed to have the good sense to know how to balance the will of the majority with that value of all individuals. And if he can't... as I said, dragged out of office.

Per the poll, it has as much value as any other poll. Is it gospel? No. Of course not. But considering that the majority of polls are placing Trump's favorability at about 40%, it's safe to say this is at least within the space of reason. What Trump personally gets out of it is up to him. Though considering some of his rhetoric, he would do well to know that he's a president for America, not his voter base.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:50 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,358,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
So does Gallup's poll.

Nice deflect though.
No deflect. People here, who claim to be more intelligent, more educated and more progressive than the Trump voters, are making huge broad based negative generalizations against 10s of millions of Americans which they don't know, will never deal, and will never know.

Gallup, BTW, suggested more than once, that Trump would not win the election.

So in reality, this is nothing more than a topic to call Trump's supporters, deplorable. That, didn't work for Hillary either.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,358,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That's what I always believed as well. Trump could never relate to them on a personal level because he never been there in his life,.....
Nonsense.

Trump has a big development just up the road from where I live in North Carolina. He's been there numerous times.

Home - Trump National Golf Club - Charlotte

He's well known locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.