Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:24 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm so sorry ChristineVA, that you were involved in such a horror....can't even begin to imagine what you and others there went thru.
I was lucky to get out quickly and not have to endure what some people did.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:30 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Seven people were killed, including a 15-year-old boy, and at least 44 other people were wounded in Chicago shootings throughout the recent Memorial Day weekend. That three day slaughterfest didn't make it to Breaking News.

This mass killer in Orlando who killed five people had a history of alleged workplace violence and, according the Law Enforcement press conference, been arrested in the past for drug possession and DUI.

I wonder how the Press determines what is Breaking News worthy?
That is how complacency happens. Chicago in some areas is a war zone, so killings are expected. Who knows what else will be next.

Perhaps eventually the US except for gated areas for the rich will be one big war zone and only killings of rich people will be newsworthy.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:34 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not saying that terrorism isn't a problem, but it is far down on the list. I will admit, I think the Islamic cult is barbaric and feel it has zero place in modern society and it baffles me on how people want to be a part of it. But we have much larger issues to deal with in our own back yard. Statistics may show that violence as a whole is down across our country but it seems like we have localized areas of violence running rampant in our inner cities and we need get a hold on why people are snapping like this. What in society has caused someone that can't handle their emotions or stress and think that taking lives is going to make things alright. Why is violence the first thing these people turn to ?
I believe it's a lack of education both morals and otherwise....

I see girl gangs physically assaulting others....I've seen people sucker punch others with disabilities....other gangs doing drive bys killing innocent people....

my son is a police officer and he arrests criminals as many as 20 - 30 times....all on our pocketbooks....

I've written about this before, but no one wants to believe it....as I said, we all live in our protective plastic bubbles, we call life, away from the rest of the world, and if we see it is happening, we deny it.

also, cities, big cities do not report the actual crime rates, b/c it hurts their tourism.....

there are many factors going on, but the bottom line is, good parenting....it took us generations to get here....

years ago, they closed down border line mentally ill facilities and put these people in the street....

We have big fish to fry right here in America....

now with open borders we've invited in a whole lot more criminals and gangs.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
I believe it's a lack of education both morals and otherwise....

I see girl gangs physically assaulting others....I've seen people sucker punch others with disabilities....other gangs doing drive bys killing innocent people....

my son is a police officer and he arrests criminals as many as 20 - 30 times....all on our pocketbooks....

I've written about this before, but no one wants to believe it....as I said, we all live in our protective plastic bubbles, we call life, away from the rest of the world, and if we see it is happening, we deny it.

also, cities, big cities do not report the actual crime rates, b/c it hurts their tourism.....

there are many factors going on, but the bottom line is, good parenting....it took us generations to get here....

years ago, they closed down border line mentally ill facilities and put these people in the street....

We have big fish to fry right here in America....

now with open borders we've invited in a whole lot more criminals and gangs.

Couldn't agree with you more. Although you risk being labeled many things speaking the truth....

Old 06-05-2017, 12:20 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Work place shootings is not a new thing. Remember that phrase 'going postal'....it was from years ago.

2007 - 2017 - 58
1997 - 2006 - 91
1987 - 1996 - 45
1977 - 1986 - 60
1967 - 1976 - 25

Considered 10 worst work place shootings

1967 – Leo Held kills 6 at a paper mill in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania

1976 – Janitor goes “berserk” and kills 7 at Cal State Fullerton

1982 – John Felton Parish shoots and kills 6 in Texas after a pay dispute

1986 – USPS worker Patrick Henry Sherrill shoots 20 and kills 14 in the deadliest workplace attack in U.S. history

1988 – An unreturned workplace infatuation escalates to a rampage killing of 7 people

1989 – Man suffering from mental illness turns to mass murder at Kentucky printing company Standard Gravure killing 9 and injuring 12

1999 – Over three days, day trader Mark O. Barton kills 12 including his wife and two children

2006 – Female postal worker goes on a shooting spree at her former workplace and kills 6 before turning the gun on herself

2009 – Nidal Malik Hasan kills 13 and injures 29 in the worst shooting incident on a US military base

Old 06-05-2017, 12:21 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

Over 6000 people dead due to gun violence this year so far alone.

Gangs, domestic violence, disgruntled students/workers, etc. etc. etc. Far more pressing issues in our cities and states than Islamic terrorism.

Hell, some whacko sliced two guys to death in Portland a few weeks ago, and he was a neo nazi white supremacist type (ironically, he was harassing two women due to race/religion).

But Muslim! That is a far easier target and fits perfectly with what their cognitive dissonance tells them.

Non Muslim commits gun crime, blame the individual not the gun!

Muslim commits any crime, ban them all! Every ****Ng one of them! Doesn't matter which country is actually on the list vs where the problem people came from, any action is fine. Doesn't have to make sense.

Works both ways on that as well. Left is no better. Their attacks on all gun owners are just as bad.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:24 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
that wasn't a display of ignorance, he was and is right and on target...you learn from mistakes, you don't keep playing them out over and over again. Open borders is not working.

As soon as that happened, that was my first thought, and it was probably the first thoughts of a whole lot of other people...this is all happening due to open borders. I repeat, it's happening due to open borders and this whole crazy diversity concept...it won't work, it can't. You cannot mix people from a primitive culture with lack of intelligence and a primitive religion with modern society. It cannot work...

There are rapes, gang rapes happening all over London, people are robbing things, kids are running wild in the streets, and they are breeding specifically to take over the world.

and let me tell you, if right after a terror attack, if some muslim leader got up on our TV and said, there is no reason for alarm, you had better believe I'd be screaming, fire him, escourt him out of office. Tell that to the parents who lost children, or those who lost loved ones....Good God, what movie are ya all living in now?

You don't allow everyone into your home, you lock your doors at night....we've got to start locking down our doors or deal with the consequences.

What people refuse to understand is. laws are there for a reason and that reason is not to ignore them....

trump was hired to do a job, and it's high time the leaders of this country start learning from what other countries haven't done, and stop worrying about votes. period.

they were hired to protect us and to adhere to our laws.....

and the rest of the republicans had better get on board, along with Trump needs to clean house.
Quote:
no one said it would solve the entire problem? Are you drinking or something?
are you unable to problem solve?

A travel ban is a start....only a small aspect of what has to be done.

Your all living in this protective plastic bubble that you call "your life" away from the rest of the world....with no concept of what is really going on out there, and our politicians love it...as they cater to big corporations...and oil giants.
Talk about a "plastic bubble."
Neither of these responses have a single thing to do with the topic of this thread which is yet another mass shooting in the U.S. by an AMERICAN citizen.

Why is that?

Statistically, these types of incidents are much more of a threat to our everyday lives.
These are the real elephants in the room.

Easier to try to solve the world's problems than our own, I guess. That would take just a little too much inner reflection.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Quote:
comprehensive vetting process....tell me, how can you possibly vet someone who was born in the dessert, has no paper work, no shots, nothing, doesn't even know how old he is.?
So, you are basically seeming to say that, no, trump won't be making any change to the vetting process. So, what is the 90 day thing about then? To get a foot in the door, and then extend it forever? Sounds like it. Or, maybe you are admitting that trump really isn't interested in improving the vetting process, he just wants the muslim ban. Yeah, that sounds like it.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So, you are basically seeming to say that, no, trump won't be making any change to the vetting process. So, what is the 90 day thing about then? To get a foot in the door, and then extend it forever? Sounds like it. Or, maybe you are admitting that trump really isn't interested in improving the vetting process, he just wants the muslim ban. Yeah, that sounds like it.
Some people don't understand what vetting process is.

So if there is someone asking to come to the USA and they have no records, they don't get in. That's what vetting does.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:28 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Bickering about gun control and terrorism is easier than talking about the real problems that nobody has an answer for or will try to solve because there just isn't any political pay day for it.
People are becoming unsocialized misanthropes that can't deal with any emotional issues or stress. Not with family, heck, parenting is a lost art. Not with work, people are expected to be machines and employers are only viewed as paychecks. People treat employees like dirt, people treat coworkers like dirt, people treat customers like dirt and people treat people like dirt. You see this with everybody. Street thugs. Motorists. Cops. Politicians. Everyone treats others like crap if they can get away with it. Society is broken. Our culture is broken. Or if it isn't its been getting worse and worse the last 40 years at least.
Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies