Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:49 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I see it stated directly or implied all the time on C-D forums that the "real Americans" are people who live in red states and support Donald Trump.
To be fair though, the idea that rural is real and genuine and that urban is impure and dirty far predates Trump. It goes back at least to the 18th century when America was mostly agrarian.

People have romanticized country living since the founding of this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To be fair though, the idea that rural is real and genuine and that urban is impure and dirty far predates Trump.

It goes back at least to the 18th century when America was mostly agrarian.
I agree with this. It definitely predates Trump. Right-wing media and conservative political candidates have been claiming to be the voice of the "real America" for as long as I can remember. Mike Huckabee did a book about this, talking about the dichotomy of the "bubbles" vs the "bubbas." The jest was that people in coastal urban areas are living in bubbles and are out of touch with the "bubbas" who comprise real America. The reality is that same concept can be used to paint rural America as a "bubble."

Old 06-05-2017, 02:58 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Unless they are illegal immigrants, why are urban Americans any less "real Americans" than people who live in the boonies? It's a fact that urban residents for the most part hold to different ideologies than do people in rural areas. However, we are ALL Americans, whether you live in Brooklyn, NY or Gene Autry, Oklahoma. Why is it the rural areas think they get to decide for everyone what real "American values" are about? Urban dwellers are Americans as well. I would go even farther and say that Harvard is just as much an American university as Liberty University is. America is Silicon Valley just as much as it is wheat farms, assembly lines, and coal mines.
Same question applies to cityiots.

Why do you think you're the real Americans?

I've lived in a city, I've lived in suburbs, I've lived in a town of 1200 off an old dirt road.

What works for city's, does not work in rural areas and vice versa.

Difference is, rural Americans don't go to cities and expect the cities to reverse their way of life, regardless of party affiliation.

Show me where a farmer tore a sky scraper down to build a farm.
Or some rural person buying up vacant properties to turn into a stock car or 1/4 mile track, or mud pit for their lifted truck, or trails for snowmobiles quads dirtbikes.

You cant.

I can show you where there used to be farms and are now weekend and summer homes for cityiots who ran for town board, got on, and changed everything. Putting in place BS noise ordinances that restricted hunting, got us pulled over for having glasspacks straight pipes on our trucks, and open baffles on Harleys to terrify deer from running in front of us. Farms being bought subdivided and if you went near there on the trails that lead up into the mountains the cops were called. Wah boo hoo we didn't come up here to listen to that racket. Yeah? Then why didn't you leave the subwoofers that thump and rattle windows back in the city? Or that annoying car alarm (you know exactly which one it is) that goes off all hours of the night?
How come you need 12 spot lights on motion detectors on the outside of your house? To give us something to shoot out with BB guns when it's 2 am and the lights are waking us up when we have to be up at 5 for work?
Why are you terrified of a twig snapping or coyotes howling?
Why does my car insurance have to go up? Oh that's right, because you non driving cityiots with whisper quiet luxury sedans and suvs restricted our hunting causing the deer population to explode, nailed Bambi every friday-Sunday.

Rural folk stick to themselves and don't dictate to others. You don't see them go to cities and demand change, riot, we live and let live...

It's like where I currently live in Florida. They call it a city. It is not a city. This area is a tropical Poughkeepsie. You don't see me screaming at the mayor and town board to let me have a shooting range for pistols in my back yard. Instead of getting upset about it, or stomp my feet and demand and expect things to change, I am saving money to buy property in Okeechobee or Ocala to have a shooting range AND have land to ride my quads and dirtbikes...

50-200 acres would be great.

It's when the holier than thou I know what's best for the world and Im from (insert city here) attitude comes out that gets us "rednecks" "hicks" "hillbillies" upset.
On occasion I'll bump into a North eastern liberal. Hear them complain about guns, trucks, this that and the other.... well 95 is that way, head north for about 20 hours. Say what you want about Florida and the south. I don't know too many who aspire to retire in NY MA CT VT ME NH.

Sure like to come down and take advantage of no income taxes and lower cost of living that can't be found in any north east city... can leave the politics and way of life you're used to back there. No wonder native Floridians Hate people from the north east.

They did the same to my town as they try to do down here. So far they've succeeded making this states economy based off Tropicana Disney and 55+ HOAs.
I feel bad for the kids... they'll likely get stuck making 8-10 bucks in customer service or tourism based job reliant on them instead of the opportunities that I had in NY... when you've built on every square inch and used up all the land, don't complain how great things used to be. You could have put your foot down and spoke up on local elections... they get excited over a grocery store or gas station going up for the jobs... lol oh boy just what they need, more minimum wage talentless jobs... get some manufacturing and some tech companies down here.

This state has schools that graduate engineers... sadly they tend to go north and west due to no jobs. I'd rally to change that. Couple 18-32 per hour to start careers with proficient skills in a state with a low cost of living... vet out the numbskulls who want, no, expect to be catered to.

We have more fun than you any day of the week.

Nightclubs are boring.
Can't snowboard in a city.
Can't fly through a trail and launch off a triple on a KX250.
No winding roads with scenic views for a Harley.
No frozen lakes to blast across on a snowmobile.
Congested traffic flows.
Having to rely on public transportation to get you from A to B on time...
We can go in our back yards pluck our food from the ground or shoot it and dress it season it.
We're self sufficient and reliant upon ourselves or close knit group of friends without having to hire out a big company to come put a well pump in, a roof on, a septic system in, to fix our boilers and heat or air conditioning when it goes down. When we're a half hour to hour away from the nearest servicing company in those industries.

Like I said. Different way of life, and until you've lived it, you can't judge it. You have no idea how fun it is. Freedom to do whatever you want, however you want, and nobody get their panties in a wad and judge you because of it. It's not for everyone though... if you're accustomed to being catered to, and having a 5 minute walk to get groceries, a hair cut, a doctor's office you won't like a half hour ride to Wal-Mart on Sunday to get all your household needs, then go another 10 minutes to the grocery store. Or drive an hour or more to get to a mall. Half hour to a hospital 15-20 minutes to the local doctors office depending if you need pediatric specific or 18+.
You'll really be angry that planned parenthood is 45 minutes away...
No street lights so when the sun goes down, and there's no full moon it's dark. Black. No traffic lights just faded out stop signs. Dirt roads. Like I said it's not for everyone.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:02 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Because the salt of the earth rural folk do all the heavy lifting.
Yeah, it's really hard lifting those farm subsidy checks.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:06 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Cities are the economic engines without which real America would not exist.

And Microsoft, Apple and Google were not developed on a farm or in a mill or restaurant. Pretty sure they are much needed by real America.

But that is so elitest...
A Nation needs its urban centers which are a source of manufacturing (at least ours used to be) and enterprises such as Apple and Microsoft. It also needs to eat. We in rural America provide you with the food you need to stay alive and write code or whatever. Neither is more "Real" or less needed than the other. It is a false dichotomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To be fair though, the idea that rural is real and genuine and that urban is impure and dirty far predates Trump. It goes back at least to the 18th century when America was mostly agrarian.

People have romanticized country living since the founding of this nation.
You and others who have posted along these lines are completely correct. There has been an argument between the "City Mouse" and the "Country Mouse" since the dawn of agriculture. People do romanticize country living - often to their sorrow. I see this all the time on the Colorado Forum. It was Jefferson who gave us the notion of the citizen farmer and his 160 acres of land, a mule and freedom. Jefferson was a student of the Greek (and Roman) classics and many of his ideas were derived from there. Jefferson's idea of an agrarian republic made sense for this country back in 1801 - 1809 when he was the third President of the United States. I am a great admirer of Jefferson myself, but THIS rural dweller understands that this ideal is outdated even though most of Jefferson's other ideas on government are not.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Why is only rural America the "real America"?
As far as my experience, this assertion has never been made: rural America the "real America".

For 8 years there has been, however, a concerted effort by Progressives, from the former President to Nancy Pelosi to Melinda Byerley to the recent Democrat Presidential nominee, to denigrate rural and middle America as stupid, racist, xenophobic, sexist, gun clingers who never graduated third grade and live in , to quote Ms. Byerley, a "****hole".

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-05-2017 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2017, 03:26 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
As far as my experience, this assertion has never been made: rural America the "real America".
The OP nor anyone else can tell us who has said this.

It seems it's nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to create false controversy so they can bash the parts of the USA they don't like. Namely that Hillary Clinton isn't President.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:30 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think that is the gist. Not necessarily rural Americans but Americans who work in manufacturing, logging, mining, restaurants, hotels, etc. The unappreciated ones who do the work so everyone can have things and go places.
who said they NOT appreciated? I have lived in mostly large cities all my life- 5 miles out rural- act like there is a huge dome separating us?? city knows what's in the farms as well as farmers know the city-- where you think they all sent their kids to attend college-- ??

Old 06-05-2017, 03:33 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The OP nor anyone else can tell us who has said this.

It seems it's nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to create false controversy so they can bash the parts of the USA they don't like. Namely that Hillary Clinton isn't President.
here's a direct quote form a recent GOP VP nominee, is that good enough?

We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:36 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
I see it stated directly or implied all the time on C-D forums that the "real Americans" are people who live in red states and support Donald Trump.
I have noticed that in comments, also. Actually, a lot of those same type of comments go so far as to state that if you don't support trump, you are not a patriot, etc. But, they will deny it ever happens, and I don't care to go back through the threads to find their statements. Not worth wasting time on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies