U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 07:24 PM

9,461 posts, read 2,309,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
..maybe we should put stick in the spokes of Putin's bike...like say...accepting Sweden as a full member in NATO...and....negotiating with the Baltic states for Docking rights for our Navy....or....flooding the market with cheap oil.....or......devaluing the Ruble..or....

Well..you get the picture---we need to show Putin that we are not to be F'd with.

We don't have to blow up the world to do it.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 PM

29,205 posts, read 15,351,525 times
Quote:
Seems the same logic that keeps bullies in lunch money
Your view is the policy that has kept us in pretty much perpetual war for decades.

You must really like the military industrial complex.

Which bully should we take out next? Maybe go after the chunky little dictator in North Korea.

Some of you sure do like war.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 PM

32,783 posts, read 13,851,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'd rather just give Sweden our NATO seat.

If we were out of NATO, closed our bases and brought home our troops, would Russia even want to mess with us?

If we did all that they would be in Poland in no time, then what would be our next step, have a draft and send troops to Europe. Hard to listen to all this nonsense from amateur short sighted politicians, NATO is important to our security.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM

4,995 posts, read 1,780,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
From the Intercept's article (emphasis mine):

The report adds significant new detail to the picture that emerged from the unclassified intelligence assessment about Russian election meddling released by the Obama administration in January. The January assessment presented the U.S. intelligence community’s conclusions but omitted many specifics, citing concerns about disclosing sensitive sources and methods. The assessment concluded with high confidence that the Kremlin ordered an extensive, multi-pronged propaganda effort “to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency.”

Good quote...you did forget the part that states "significant new detail"

Obama did not have specifics---so we went with what he had..and he down-played it..out of Hubris..or his natural cautious streak..I dunno. It was a mistake..

..we don't have to repeat it.

BTW..thank you for at least reading the document...I think more than a few haven't bothered.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:29 PM

9,461 posts, read 2,309,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

I mean, wasn't the prevailing argument among many Trump supporters in 2016 that the leaks were good? Doing the American people a "service", as I heard/read many times. Curious reaction to this information.
Russia, if you’re listening ...
Donald J. Trump [aka Дональд to his friends]

There was some quid pro quo there, I'll betcha

Old 06-05-2017, 07:29 PM

29,205 posts, read 15,351,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If we did all that they would be in Poland in no time, then what would be our next step, have a draft and send troops to Europe. Hard to listen to all this nonsense from amateur short sighted politicians, NATO is important to our security.
Why should we care if they are in Poland?

You liberals sure love being the world police and staying on the edge of war.

If we send troops to defend Poland one day, are you going to encourage your kids to go.

You must still be mad we pulled out of Vietnam.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 PM

4,995 posts, read 1,780,417 times
Quote:

If we send troops to defend Poland one day, are you going to encourage your kids to go.

Pedro..there is a middle ground--it's not all or nothing,

I despise 'Nation building'. But not everyone one has pure motives...and a world dominated by the Putin's and the Kim's would be a very unsafe place..and in the end..ours liberties would pay the price. History is not kind to pacifistic nations.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:37 PM

10,930 posts, read 5,014,169 times
Quote:
Pedro..there is a middle ground--it's not all or nothing,

I despise 'Nation building'. But not everyone one has pure motives...and a world dominated by the Putin's and the Kim's would be a very unsafe place..and in the end..ours liberties would pay the price. History is not kind to pacifistic nations.
Moderation is not allowed here - you need to pick a(n extreme) side!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:38 PM

32,783 posts, read 13,851,504 times
Quote:

I'm far from a proponent of war, NATO over the years has been a deterrent. If we closed down NATO and Russia took back Poland and other countries would you just dismiss it as not our problem.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 PM

4,990 posts, read 1,995,510 times
Quote:
Good quote...you did forget the part that states "significant new detail"

Obama did not have specifics---so we went with what he had..and he down-played it..out of Hubris..or his natural cautious streak..I dunno. It was a mistake..

..we don't have to repeat it.

BTW..thank you for at least reading the document...I think more than a few haven't bothered.
The "significant new detail" is referring to the public's perspective, not the Obama administration's.

The January assessment was written from this report. That "significant new detail" was not released to protected sources and methods.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or