U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 AM

8,024 posts, read 7,300,443 times

Advertisements

The deal contains about $20 billion in arms sales that were already approved under the Obama administration.

Trump's weapons deal with Saudi Arabia includes $24 billion in goods approved by Obama

The rest may eventually materialize, pending negotiations and approvals. It smelled of an exaggerated deal from the start given the size of Saudi Arabia's defense budget. Some were claiming the deal may eventually yield 650 billion dollars, which is 10 times what KSA spends on everything, including manpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:18 AM

66,504 posts, read 33,783,099 times
This was initiated under GW. Bush originally.
When Obama got in office, and his hate for the Sunni's and love for Iran, he dropped the deal in the works.

Trump got it going again and improved with updated weaponry.

I do not agree, that arming the Middle East with any weapons is a good idea.

This is one of those things, where he goes sideways from where I stand on the issue, but I never agreed with everything Dad did either, but dad never gave the deer, turkey and hogs, weapons.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 AM
Noc

1,439 posts, read 1,805,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This was initiated under GW. Bush originally.
When Obama got in office, and his hate for the Sunni's and love for Iran, he dropped the deal in the works.

I do not agree, that arming the Middle East with any weapons is a good idea.

This is one of those things, where he goes sideways from where I stand on the issue, but I never agreed with everything Dad did either, but dad never gave the deer, turkey and hogs, weapons.
Your way of saying good on Obama. LOL!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,137,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

That's pure BS. At least parts of this deal were active in 2015 and 2016. Saudi is always *almost* ready to sign. Now they did. Could be that they just love Donald Trump because they identify with him more than Obama or Bush. Trump is more authoritarian, like them. They probably want to support that.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 AM

4,953 posts, read 1,958,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I can actually comment on this because this is the area that I work.

*Some* of the $110B was finalized. It is here and it is a deal and it will happen.

The $110B program offered had been in the works and developed for about 10 years. It was almost signed out by them last year but was pulled by them for their own lack of funds and political issues.
On my first job, my boss would create fake letters of intent from customers and would cook the books to make our sale numbers look good. That was illegal because the numbers were eventually reported to stockholders. I think perhaps a million in reported sales was worst he ever did.

Here, the Trump is reporting sales and deals 100,000 times larger. Christine, how much is actually under contract? The article claims the Senate must approve any sale like this and no Senate approval for any sale has been granted in this case. Anything in the Senate waiting for approval?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:49 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,137,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
On my first job, my boss would create fake letters of intent from customers and would cook the books to make our sale numbers look good. That was illegal because the numbers were eventually reported to stockholders. I think perhaps a million in reported sales was worst he ever did.

Here, the Trump is reporting sales and deals 100,000 times larger. Christine, how much is actually under contract? The article claims the Senate must approve any sale like this and no Senate approval for any sale has been granted in this case. Anything in the Senate waiting for approval?

Well, I don't want to give out too many details. Not that it's secret or anything but, I don't know, feels uncomfortable.

In my experience, parts of this deal could not have been accepted by Saudi had not it gone through congressional notification (and it did so over a month ago before Trump went over with the agreements in hand). So not sure what that statement means by this news source.

Now, it is true that no contracts have been awarded. The contractors have been identified as they needed to be when pricing was put together; however, the money has not trickled down yet to award the contracts. That is a process that takes several weeks after the agreement was signed.

The approved deal I am aware of is the one that was discussed in the article: the four frigates.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:53 AM

15,723 posts, read 9,641,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Trump DC Hotel Received $270,000 From Effort Linked To Saudi Arabia – Talking Points Memo

Seems "the payments were made between November 2016 and February 2017, and were made for the most part before Trump took office."

That is a pretty big bill. How many rooms were they renting and what kind of food do you get for that amount?
I work at a hotel in DC where the Saudis sometimes stay. They easily spend $1-2 million for a week. It's pretty normal for them to spend enormous amounts of money for short hotel stays.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 PM

4,953 posts, read 1,958,617 times
Here is more recent information from the Examiner

Quote:

The fact sheet contains links to the Letters of Offer and Acceptance, LOAs, which accounted for $24 billion in weapons sales already approved during the Obama administration, some as far back as 2013. Those items included:
$11.25 billion for four Lockheed Martin littoral combat ships and over 500 Sea Sparrow missiles
$6.8 billion for over 3,100 missiles and bombs from Boeing and Raytheon
$3.51 billion for 48 Boeing CH-47F Chinook helicopters
$1.15 billion for 133 M1A2S Abrams battle tanks built by General Dynamics Land Systems and Hercules armored recovery vehicles
$525 million for aerostat surveillance blimps
$500 million in ammunition

That leaves $86 billion in the MOI category still to be explained

Cite: Trump's $110 billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia is 'fake news,' defense expert says

Old 06-07-2017, 04:26 PM

9,893 posts, read 3,274,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The $110 billion arms deal to Saudi Arabia is fake news. Trump did not make any new deals.

"I’ve spoken to contacts in the defense business and on the Hill, and all of them say the same thing: There is no $110 billion deal. Instead, there are a bunch of letters of interest or intent, but not contracts. Many are offers that the defense industry thinks the Saudis will be interested in someday. So far nothing has been notified to the Senate for review. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the arms sales wing of the Pentagon, calls them “intended sales.” None of the deals identified so far are new, all began in the Obama administration."

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/marka...-is-fake-news/
Looks like Trump knowingly LIED to Americans yet again. Trump knew this deal was fake and he lied to impress his followers.

tell me trumpers how does it feel to know you voted for a are supporting a man who is lying to you everyday and is willing to do it right to your face.

the entire 100 billion deal was a lie.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM

8,006 posts, read 16,059,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I work at a hotel in DC where the Saudis sometimes stay. They easily spend $1-2 million for a week. It's pretty normal for them to spend enormous amounts of money for short hotel stays.
Depending on the size of the group and length of stay at a luxury hotel, that doesn't seem out of the ordinary at all. Government travel for the ME is a far cry from the economy class ticket, $75/day per dieum, and Hampton Inn hotel room we get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies