Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Here's one of the leading clues that we're toast:
One of the "key players" in the Senate now is Maine's own Susie Collins. She's a key to whether Trump gets to do anything, or not. Susie has few beliefs (I know her well). The only beliefs she has that are really out in the open are liberal ones (very pro-abortion, pro-gay everything, wants to do ALOT about climate change). And she's a Republican. She is not very smart at all. (On top of everything else, she has no children of her own, which I think should be a disqualifying factor for any one seeking to represent us.......she has almost NO "skin in the game" of her own....)
But she's not the problem. Mainers love her. (Conservatives are the only group that has a few qualms with her). They keep sending her back with huge election wins. They will do so again next time.
These are my neighbors, I know them well. (I live in Susie's home town; the guy who runs her local office is a friend). Why do they love her?? "Just because". "She is nice". "She believes in civility". "She has a nice smile and dress".

It's really that simple. THAT is the rot I am talking about. And it's why we are toast.
Cool. Does that mean my wife wife and I shouldn't have to pay any taxes that apply to public education since we never had children? Just sayin'.
Heck, let's take this one step further, I don't like blueberries. Since that is a major crop in Maine and presumably gets some assistance from the USDA, do I get to opt out of any support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Conservatism is hardly over.

I think it is clear that conservatives lost the culture war, but as today's young people are finding out, culture is a lot less important than money.

America is a very, very conservative country. I consider myself a liberal democrat, and I know just how conservative I actually am when compared to "liberals" everywhere else on the planet.

And as a liberal democrat, I'm not exactly happy or thrilled to see the GOP devour itself. We only have two parties in our godforsaken nightmare of a government. There's nothing inherently wrong or "evil" about being conservative. I do not wish Republicans ill or dead.

What I do want to see is the GOP return to sanity. Fifteen years ago I would vote Republican. The party has been held hostage by increasingly insane minority interests that have moved the game so far to an extreme they might as well be in another stadium.

Exhibit A: John Boehner. Cannibalized by his own party for the sin of compromise.
I doubt your claim about voting GOP 15 years ago, for the simple reason that the party continued to be ruled by a GOP Establishment that was increasingly liberal and elitist........right up until 2016.
Do you really think that Paul Ryan is much different from Boehner?? Lol

Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Cool. Does that mean my wife wife and I shouldn't have to pay any taxes that apply to public education since we never had children? Just sayin'.
Heck, let's take this one step further, I don't like blueberries. Since that is a major crop in Maine and presumably gets some assistance from the USDA, do I get to opt out of any support?
Apples and oranges. (No pun intended). A politician with no children has very little "skin in the game", as to the future and the results of their decisions.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Dems feel like they have lost and they have taken to the streets on paths of destruction and severe civil disobedience.

Going underground might not be an option because they will dig us up. If you live in Maine OP you cold probably hold out for a long time but what about the people who live in the cities and states that are more than eager to embrace those who will destroy us?
Going underground is the ONLY option, other than giving in. The war is OVER, man. Accept that.
Live to fight another day.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't really care what you say. The fact is that every single liberal judge nominated by a Democrat "toes the line" faithfully, and they ALL vote for hardcore, progressive change.
Whereas Republican-nominated judges have about a 50% "success rate" (i.e., they pan out well).
Scalia prattled on about his all the time; the courts don't even try to base their decisions on the old principles anymore; much of it is just made up and hews to pure political strategies. He was right, but his dissents accomplished nothing. Kennedy kept right on being generally useless. And even Roberts (the vaunted "savior" of the conservative voice on the Supreme Court) ended up writing the tortured opinion in the Obamacare case....FOR Obama's side. Roberts, I said! Not Kagan or Breyer. Roberts.
That's just one example of many.
Justice is a joke in this country.

let me translate...

I don't really care what you say. = I don't care about the FACTS.

and that sums it up. OP, read my reply that points out the right has controlled the supreme court for the entire lives of most people alive today. I also pointed out the RIGHT used the courts to limit Obama and they BLOCKED Obamacare by use of the courts!

OP sees this, understands this, does not even argue it, and instead whines that the conservatives (appointed by conservatives) are not making all their rulings exactly the way OP wants.

This is what the left has to deal with. Right wing cons, who have controlled the courts for 40 years and then whine and cry like snowflakes when a court rules against them. It is like dealing with toddlers crying they can't have ice cream for dinner. It seems to me that many right wingers think the SCOTUS is a tool for them to use rather than the arbitrators of US justice. SCOTUS is NOT supposed to reflect the whims of our nation's short term political gyrations.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Going backward is never the answer and it's not going to work

The rest of the world will move forward without us.

Adapt or die; that's been the word in Corporate America since the early 90's. If you cannot accept and adapt to change, you will not survive.

Same here.
What is going forward? Many asian societies like japan, south korea ,singapore, taiwan and parts of china ,hong kong, are very futuristic but they are also very disciplined, orderly, certainly not multicultural and "tolerant" as american liberals, certainly not invaded by refugees and foreigners, they have state of the art mass transit, low crime, great science and math educations and very futuristic.

Then look at Americas hideous liberal cities, terrible mass transit, enormous homeless problems ,tent cities of homeless , its hard to even go out to eat with being asked for money by panhandler and many of them are mentally ill and aggressive, huge income disparity ,rotting infrastructure. just land at laguardia and compare it to tokyo or singapore etc, its like landing in a third world. So much of america is like that

Even the the american cities that arent "diverse" are crapholes like portland and seattle with tons of homeless and druggies

This is a long way from the promise of the 20th century and future cities at least in america and alot of this decline is from the liberalism and "tolerance" of the west . The san Francisco human waste detector to find out where the homeless are going to the bathroom

laguardia nyc

Nankai Airport Line Train to Osaka

Narita airport

bullet train Asia

Old 06-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
NOPE and here is why.

those kids will by your doctors later in life. They will be the people who repair your roof, care for you, they will be your road builders , your researchers, your police your support through out life.

We all pay in because with or without kids if you live within our borders, (and often outside them) you directly benefit every day of your life.

Tax is perhaps one of the greatest inventions of mankind, without it we have no society.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 PM

28 posts, read 17,222 times
im not American but my observations:

In a huge country with growing diversity and a strong liberal establishment it would be very hard to change.

The Liberal establishment (Eastern Establishment) are smart (although not good), they have billions of dollars, lobbies, intelligence agencies, control of most media, corporations. They have been changing things for decades okay. They do it slowly to avoid mass anger or revolution, and it works.

In order to counter something like the counter revolution of the 1960s, youve need to control several key areas in the nation, and spend decades brainwashing new generations.

Even returning to Christian life styles would be very hard. An example: you cant just ban gay marriage and hope for the best. Youd have to return programs to family talking, why such things are bad for people and so on.

You add groups like Neoconservatives and Rockefeller Republicans and you have a problem.
Even Trump is influenced by groups like the CFR, CIA, countless lobbies, and older guys sitting in the congress/senate.

Why are those groups a problem? Neoconservativism founders were a bunch of Jewish people. They were descendants of Jews who left Eastern Europe. Their mentality was that of Trotsky. So you see they hated the Czar, tradition, monarchy, and so on. They are essentially liberals in todays world. Today a lot of them are no longer Jewish, but the influence remains. They love Israel to an unhealthy level, and they love empire building, bringing democracries (aka destroying nations). I wont write too much more, but they are very different from traditional conservatives.

Rockefeller Republicans, moderates, often ignore social issues, and many of them are socially liberal.
They focus on economy and they may be more conservative on this issue but thats about it.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
What is going forward? Many asian societies like japan, south korea ,singapore, taiwan and parts of china ,hong kong, are very futuristic but they are also very disciplined, orderly, certainly not multicultural and "tolerant" as american liberals, certainly not invaded by refugees and foreigners, they have state of the art mass transit, low crime, great science and math educations and very futuristic.

Then look at Americas hideous liberal cities, terrible mass transit, enormous homeless problems ,tent cities of homeless , its hard to even go out to eat with being asked for money by panhandler and many of them are mentally ill and aggressive, huge income disparity ,rotting infrastructure. just land at laguardia and compare it to tokyo or singapore etc, its like landing in a third world. So much of america is like that

Even the the american cities that arent "diverse" are crapholes like portland and seattle with tons of homeless and druggies

This is a long way from the promise of the 20th century and future cities at least in america and alot of this decline is from the liberalism and "tolerance" of the west . The san Francisco human waste detector to find out where the homeless are going to the bathroom

BULL.

rather than posting pictures you should research BEFORE you post. time and again posters need to correct your presumptions.

So here is a FACT for ya.

homelessly in the USA has declined under Obama, we went from 647,000 to 549,000 ... not great but the right direction.

SO WE KNOW THINGS ARE GETTING A LITTLE BETTER NOT WORSE!

and that is with the awful economic crash caused by BUSH , GOP and the entire RIGHT WING. The crash the Obama fixed.

And yep liberal cities always have more homeless when looking at comps, of course they do, homeless folk flock to them for the support provided. You should simply say "thank you" and move along.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

laguardia nyc

Nankai Airport Line Train to Osaka

Narita airport

bullet train Asia
Newsflash: We have cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies