U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 PM

20,675 posts, read 8,833,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Maybe its going back to the old days. When I was growing up, we hardly ever went out to dinner. We had our meals at home. That seems to have changed in the last few decades with everyone going out (families included) much more frequently. Home meals were much less common.

I do not blame millennials for for the trouble of these types of restaurants. It is just changing preferences which tend to be cyclical. If not for changing preferences (from my youth), these places would not have existed in the numbers they have in the recent decades.
My son is a millennial who lives on his own. He has a great job but can hardly afford the rent he pays. So why would he waste his money on going out to dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,313,889 times
Applebees, TGI Friday's, and Chilis absolutely suck. I'm a gen-Xer, not a millenial, but I think it was the boomers supporting most of these places. If you go to Olive Garden or something for dinner, the demographic skews older and heavier.

I like sit down places, but more of them are Mom and Pop joints. The only exception would be The Outback, I don't mind eating a cheap steak and salad there once in awhile.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 PM

39,507 posts, read 40,839,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
... and maybe a little bit of Ranch dressing
Try it with Bleu Cheese, you have to have the real Bleu Cheese dressing though. Maries's or whatever. That was one of the specialties of the "Wing Nazi".

Quote:
..there's tons of variations of course.
True, you can add any sauce depending on your tastes. It's pretty tough to screw up a fried wing.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:36 PM

6,064 posts, read 3,110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Millennials endanger casual-dining restaurants - Business Insider

I guess it makes sense, those places are more for the family experience they should cater more to older patrons like Denny's does.

As an Millennial, I actually like sit down places.
Sub par food. Overpriced beers. Sub par service. And they want a 20% tip? LOL

I'll eat like a king at home with my wife for 1/3 the cost after a quick run the grocery store and 15 minutes of grillin'

Old 06-06-2017, 10:16 PM

19,039 posts, read 15,499,706 times
As someone on the older edge of the millennials, I can't say this is a shocker. I have eaten at both, but been at least 1 year at Applebees and probably 2 years at BWW. I'm not much of a cook and eat out fairly often, but quite simply there are better local places out there. Burger Bars, Wing joints, etc. In some rural areas or further out suburbs where you don't have the same competition it probably isn't much of an issue, but in the heavier populated areas there is the competition and Applebees, BWW's and others aren't doing that well.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 PM

21,572 posts, read 11,628,239 times
A lot of Millennials have student loan debt and have to stretch their money farther than the previous generation.

I've been working on my youngest son to stop wasting his money eating out. My wife and I have eaten out very little in our lives. We pack a lunch in a cooler and find a picnic table. Old habits.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 PM

23,221 posts, read 12,334,029 times
It's just bad food. In a world where farm to table, eating local, and we are all eating better at home -- why subject yourself to garbage.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 PM

13,278 posts, read 6,356,923 times
They are very bad food, some people even get sick eating food from Applebee's.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:10 AM

11,064 posts, read 6,207,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Millennials typically opt for locally-owned, unique restaurants over the suburban chains that dominated the restaurant landscape in the 1990s and 2000s. I think that is the root of this problem. If I had a choice between a local or regional wing chain like say Wild Wing Cafe in Charlotte NC or Buffalo Wild Wings, I would choose Wild Wing Cafe every time. Part of the issue with the huge national chains is their quality is well below local restaurants and many times they are even more expensive. It's similar to how Millennials are choosing locally-brewed craft beer over Budweiser.

I think the chains will survive in rural areas and small cities where there isn't a local alternative. For instance, where I live now, if I want hot wings, Buffalo Wild Wings is it.
Oh no, don't go there! We're far off the Millennial path, but we both [esp DH], prefer local craft brews to that of Budweiser.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:37 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,312,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A lot of Millennials have student loan debt and have to stretch their money farther than the previous generation.

I've been working on my youngest son to stop wasting his money eating out. My wife and I have eaten out very little in our lives. We pack a lunch in a cooler and find a picnic table. Old habits.
I don't really think this has to do with why we won't eat at B-Dubs and Applebee's. My generation is the generation to spend $8 on a dumb Starbucks mochafrappafrippalate, so we don't hesitate to spend money on certain things.

Another thing is those chain places often have a family atmosphere. They aren't good places to go out with friends or your girlfriend/boyfriend on the weekend. For that, we'd much rather grab some take out and eat it back home with friends. If we do go out to eat, it's usually a locally owned place.

I also think that millennials are more "foodies" than previous generations. My grandparents and parents are perfectly happy eating boring food, but I'm certainly not. With all of these Thai, Korean, Mexican, Indian, Ethiopian, and Italian restaurants around, why would I even bother going to B-Dubs or Applebees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies