U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 08:03 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,065,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm Gen X. It's just too expensive to eat out at many restaurants now. Chains, family restaurants, fast food, you name it, it seems like they raised their prices a great deal overall and they nickel and dime customers on silly little things like condiments. My wife and I have solved this problem by forgoing drinks, using coupons, and going out to lunch rather than dinner.

The biggest ripoff is charging $2.50 for a Coke. So what if it is unlimited refills. I can only drink one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 AM

12,126 posts, read 6,700,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I don't really think this has to do with why we won't eat at B-Dubs and Applebee's. My generation is the generation to spend $8 on a dumb Starbucks mochafrappafrippalate, so we don't hesitate to spend money on certain things.

Another thing is those chain places often have a family atmosphere. They aren't good places to go out with friends or your girlfriend/boyfriend on the weekend. For that, we'd much rather grab some take out and eat it back home with friends. If we do go out to eat, it's usually a locally owned place.

I also think that millennials are more "foodies" than previous generations. My grandparents and parents are perfectly happy eating boring food, but I'm certainly not. With all of these Thai, Korean, Mexican, Indian, Ethiopian, and Italian restaurants around, why would I even bother going to B-Dubs or Applebees?
Ethnic restaurants can't be bad? haha.

There might be a little brainwashing there, and too much fake reality tv.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 AM

12,035 posts, read 16,776,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Ethnic restaurants can't be bad? haha.

There might be a little brainwashing there, and too much fake reality tv.
You quoted a post, and yet you added words that were never actually written. Where did the poster say that ethnic restaurants can't be bad? I'll wait.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:21 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,593,734 times
Oh no...millenials arent forking over $20.00 for a heaping helping of the high fructose corn syrup chemical toxin infused,, sugar laden, platter of diabetes being sold to them by some 65 year old baby boomer CEO of Applebee's, who could care less that him and the rest of his greedy baby boomer comrades have contributed to the largest rise in chronic diseases in history. Oh no...what are we to do!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Oh no...millenials arent forking over $20.00 for a heaping helping of the high fructose corn syrup chemical toxin infused,, sugar laden, platter of diabetes being sold to them by some 65 year old baby boomer CEO of Applebee's, who could care less that him and the rest of his greedy baby boomer comrades have contributed to the largest rise in chronic diseases in history. Oh no...what are we to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f6l1QljpMo

Old 06-07-2017, 08:26 AM

12,126 posts, read 6,700,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You quoted a post, and yet you added words that were never actually written. Where did the poster say that ethnic restaurants can't be bad? I'll wait.
Not going to bother. They made their point clear. Ethnic food good - American food bad. This isn't really about chain restaurants, it's a culture thing.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 1,672,520 times
'Applebee's; for when you want someone else to microwave that Stouffer's Lasagna.'

The articles right. Millennials prefer to cook at home, order food, or eat out quickly. Is that bad (I don't think the OP is saying it is; a lot of people responded as if he did)? Cooking for yourself is usually helpful and a valuable skill. Eating at home is usually more comfortable and can be quite enjoyable. And eating fast isn't so much their fault; they've been raised to believe you exist to work... even though they're lazy and everything their fault, apparently.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 AM

15,332 posts, read 4,047,808 times
Doesn't seem like a political thread - maybe more about eating?

I went to Applebees ONCE only because the owner of a company took me there for lunch. Never again...and I'm not a Millennial.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
'Applebee's; for when you want someone else to microwave that Stouffer's Lasagna.'

The articles right. Millennials prefer to cook at home, order food, or eat out quickly. Is that bad (I don't think the OP is saying it is; a lot of people responded as if he did)? Cooking for yourself is usually helpful and a valuable skill. Eating at home is usually more comfortable and can be quite enjoyable. And eating fast isn't so much their fault; they've been raised to believe you exist to work... even though they're lazy and everything their fault, apparently.

To me, food is nothing but fuel. I could care less about the "dining out" experience. I eat lunch at my desk between keystrokes.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:33 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,546,557 times
I think that what's being lost is that older part of American culture that was deemed to have "no culture" by Europeans. I think Americans are actually starting to develop a culture similar to that of the rest of the world, where they eat in or prefer "real food". I think a lot of that is great but it also makes me think that we are just becoming like the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies