U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 AM
 
12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
Reputation: 12950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
'Applebee's; for when you want someone else to microwave that Stouffer's Lasagna.'

The articles right. Millennials prefer to cook at home, order food, or eat out quickly. Is that bad (I don't think the OP is saying it is; a lot of people responded as if he did)? Cooking for yourself is usually helpful and a valuable skill. Eating at home is usually more comfortable and can be quite enjoyable. And eating fast isn't so much their fault; they've been raised to believe you exist to work... even though they're lazy and everything their fault, apparently.
Oh come on. Exist to work? You work to support yourself, like always, like generations have. Going to a restaurant is supposed to be a relaxing treat. They just want to be on their phones. In a restaurant may have to make eye contact and speak directly to others for a couple of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 AM
 
2,680 posts, read 1,045,630 times
Reputation: 3326
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think that what's being lost is that older part of American culture that was deemed to have "no culture" by Europeans. I think Americans are actually starting to develop a culture similar to that of the rest of the world, where they eat in or prefer "real food". I think a lot of that is great but it also makes me think that we are just becoming like the rest of the world.
What's being lost, finally, is the grip on American culture by chain restaurants who serve fast, cheap, unhealthy food. Before the 1960s, pretty much everyone in the middle class ate at home, and going to a restaurant was a family treat. So, really, the loss of crappy restaurants is actually returning America to its "older" self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 AM
 
4,491 posts, read 1,668,874 times
Reputation: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Oh come on. Exist to work? You work to support yourself, like always, like generations have. Going to a restaurant is supposed to be a relaxing treat. They just want to be on their phones. In a restaurant may have to make eye contact and speak directly to others for a couple of hours.
Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,361 posts, read 1,807,172 times
Reputation: 3298
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Oh come on. Exist to work? You work to support yourself, like always, like generations have. Going to a restaurant is supposed to be a relaxing treat. They just want to be on their phones. In a restaurant may have to make eye contact and speak directly to others for a couple of hours.
Wow the older generation really is this out of touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM
 
12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
Reputation: 12950
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think that what's being lost is that older part of American culture that was deemed to have "no culture" by Europeans. I think Americans are actually starting to develop a culture similar to that of the rest of the world, where they eat in or prefer "real food". I think a lot of that is great but it also makes me think that we are just becoming like the rest of the world.
Before the chains came in that is what we had. Nice local restaurants serving fresh, real "American" food, somehow put out of business by mediocre chains. The locally owned restaurants were for the old people. I patronized those independent restaurants until the day they closed, there was no cool factor to that as a young person. Those restaurants were gentrified out, not cool, and replaced by chains, just like independent retail stores were. Shame on us for selling out our local businesses.

The rest of the world has adopted our crappy chains and are getting obese too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,533,279 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
What's being lost, finally, is the grip on American culture by chain restaurants who serve fast, cheap, unhealthy food. Before the 1960s, pretty much everyone in the middle class ate at home, and going to a restaurant was a family treat. So, really, the loss of crappy restaurants is actually returning America to its "older" self.
Ah good point. But at the same time, couldn't this have been seen as a time of affluence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Texas
35,209 posts, read 19,266,750 times
Reputation: 20835
Lightbulb Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Ladies & Gentlemen:

It's not just millenials.

As a certified geezer, I have never been in a Buffalo Wild Wings, and I'm a guy who likes wings. I've been in an Applebee's maybe half a dozen times. Probably four of those times sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:01 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,533,279 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Before the chains came in that is what we had. Nice local restaurants serving fresh, real "American" food, somehow put out of business by mediocre chains. The locally owned restaurants were for the old people. I patronized those independent restaurants until the day they closed, there was no cool factor to that as a young person. Those restaurants were gentrified out, not cool, and replaced by chains, just like independent retail stores were. Shame on us for selling out our local businesses.

The rest of the world has adopted our crappy chains and are getting obese too.
Older mom and pop places were excellent and served real food from local farms and such. But today, mom and pop places tend to get the same crappy foods that chain stores have and I don't see a major difference in quality.

I think perhaps we are going to see chain stores get better quality food or be outpaced by better chains or local eateries that cater to the new tastes. That's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,434 posts, read 6,394,116 times
Reputation: 4340
I personally prefer going to a smaller, family-owned restaurant where the prices are cheap and the food actually has flavor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:08 AM
 
4,491 posts, read 1,668,874 times
Reputation: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Wow the older generation really is this out of touch.
Not all of them are that asinine. To be fair.

I had a brilliant college professor, probably in his early 60s, maybe just late 50s, who once said "anyone who tries to tell you that you must think this or that because you're a millennial... there's only one response I can think of worth giving them: **** you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top