U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 AM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,435 posts, read 6,398,275 times
Reputation: 4340

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I do too but it's hit or miss. I don't think you can say that every mom and pop place is going to better than every chain place or vice versa.

Sometimes I think we treat the small business like a golden calf vs the faceless mega-corporation.
Obviously not every mom and pop place, there are so many mom and pop places that there is going to be a lot more difference in the quality of food between one place or another. Whereas McDonalds will usually range from bad to mediocre, mom and pop places will range between excellent to absolutely horrible. That said, since there are so many mom and pop options, you can easily weed out the bad ones, whereas with chains it´s not so easy. If you live in a big city, you are blessed with options. You have dozens of authentic Italian-American pizzerias that can kick Papa Johns or Pizza Hut to the curb. You have tons of authentic Mexican-owned taquerias with fresh guacamole and authentic ingredients that make Chipotle look like a joke. You have local cafes with freshly grinded coffee that will make Starbucks taste like flavored water. The variety is the beauty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 AM
 
12,106 posts, read 6,685,674 times
Reputation: 12955
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I make my own food. I started doing that years and years ago but then again I come from an ethnic background (Greek and Czech) and we tended to always eat in. Going out to eat was seen as an Anglo thing for us so I was always used to cooking at home and would just hate eating out.

But that included both chains and mom and pop places. I never made the distinction between either as I always thought both were equally just street food. So this is prolly why I don't get the whole chain vs mom and pop spat.
There used to be a thing called a romantic dinner out. Guys took girls out on dates for quiet candle light dinners with excellent food and service. There were so many good restaurants to choose from. There were chefs and bakers that could cook food like we never could. Still are, for the wealthy. But regular people enjoyed that food and atmosphere, even young people could afford it.

My favorite was an old inn with separate rooms, four tables in a room. Candles, beautiful elegant décor. Fresh baked bread to die for. Prime rib melts in the mouth. How does a 19 year old afford to take his date to such a place...

Now it seems people want to scream over each other and sit in uncomfortable chairs with TVs blaring and phones buzzing. Why pay for that atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 9 days ago)
 
48,040 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Reputation: 15322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There used to be a thing called a romantic dinner out. Guys took girls out on dates for quiet candle light dinners with excellent food and service. There were so many good restaurants to choose from. There were chefs and bakers that could cook food like we never could. Still are, for the wealthy. But regular people enjoyed that food and atmosphere, even young people could afford it.

My favorite was an old inn with separate rooms, four tables in a room. Candles, beautiful elegant décor. Fresh baked bread to die for. Prime rib melts in the mouth. How does a 19 year old afford to take his date to such a place...

Now it seems people want to scream over each other and sit in uncomfortable chairs with TVs blaring and phones buzzing. Why pay for that atmosphere.
Those nice romantic places that you speak of still exist. They just aren't chain restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:47 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There used to be a thing called a romantic dinner out. Guys took girls out on dates for quiet candle light dinners with excellent food and service. There were so many good restaurants to choose from. There were chefs and bakers that could cook food like we never could. Still are, for the wealthy. But regular people enjoyed that food and atmosphere, even young people could afford it.

My favorite was an old inn with separate rooms, four tables in a room. Candles, beautiful elegant décor. Fresh baked bread to die for. Prime rib melts in the mouth. How does a 19 year old afford to take his date to such a place...

Now it seems people want to scream over each other and sit in uncomfortable chairs with TVs blaring and phones buzzing. Why pay for that atmosphere.
Wow, what decade was this? I wish my generation could get some of that. Yes it seems the wealthier eat really well I agree, and you could say that we could too but we'd have to make it ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:49 AM
 
4,491 posts, read 1,669,849 times
Reputation: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Not all of them are asinine? So it takes a brilliant college professor to show you that not all baby boomers are the scourge of western civ taking that next leap in social evolution?

I think I was trying to get in on the convo you were having with the other poster about how baby boomers are so delusional and just aren't "woke" enough.
Not, not all of them are asinine. Most aren't.

And no, my college professor story was more about the substance of what he said. Read it over again. You seem to misunderstand what I'm saying.

Though that should be clear by now and you doubled down so I won't hold my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Obviously not every mom and pop place, there are so many mom and pop places that there is going to be a lot more difference in the quality of food between one place or another. Whereas McDonalds will usually range from bad to mediocre, mom and pop places will range between excellent to absolutely horrible. That said, since there are so many mom and pop options, you can easily weed out the bad ones, whereas with chains it´s not so easy. If you live in a big city, you are blessed with options. You have dozens of authentic Italian-American pizzerias that can kick Papa Johns or Pizza Hut to the curb. You have tons of authentic Mexican-owned taquerias with fresh guacamole and authentic ingredients that make Chipotle look like a joke. You have local cafes with freshly grinded coffee that will make Starbucks taste like flavored water. The variety is the beauty
Yes, I live in LA now and am in heaven. I am planning on moving back to Texas but only want to live in Houston because the variety of food is just the same. I do prefer that and haven't eaten at a chain in years.

These things do need to adapt or die out cus they're ripping people off serving frozen dinners for an extraordinary price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Not, not all of them are asinine. Most aren't.

And no, my college professor story was more about the substance of what he said. Read it over again. You seem to misunderstand what I'm saying.

Though that should be clear by now and you doubled down so I won't hold my breath.
Not doubling down. I just hear a lot of blame going around on baby boomers and wonder why? You could go back a few years to my posts where I was doing the same thing but have come to see that they're no different than any other generation.

Yes I get that the professor was saying don't generalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 11:02 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Reputation: 30796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
How old are those charts? I am 46 and I know I am not a baby boomer.
I would say those maps are about 7-8 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I have never heard of Buffalo Wild Wings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I've never heard of Buffalo Wild Wings ever.
Not surprising. They have only 1,235 locations and are in only 50 states (with a paltry 48 locations in Florida) plus Canada, Mexico, the Philippines, and the UAE.

Seriously. you can't strangle a chicken without BWW showing up and snatching the wings away from you. Seriously. There are actually periodic chicken wing shortages, a phenomenon not seen since these chicken wing restaurants started up. BWW has 200 restaurants in 2003, almost 900 four years ago and now they are over 1,200. I am sure they will peak, but they are not dead in the water quite yet, millennial apathy for beer and sports notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 11:45 AM
 
2,070 posts, read 1,590,860 times
Reputation: 3348
I know I mentioned baby boomers because if the typical trend holds true, older people tend to hold the most authoritative positions in society and most of the wealth...I highly doubt the CEO or even most of the stakeholders who sign off on the garbage found on the menu at Chiles or TGIFridays or the U.S congressman who allows it is some 26 year old recent college grad. Could be wrong of course.

Last edited by soletaire; 06-07-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 AM
 
6,550 posts, read 1,344,624 times
Reputation: 16579
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Obviously some of these boomers are too busy shoveling mayo from Applebees into their mouths to look for some data.

Obesity Rates by Age Group: The State of Obesity

It's fully a 2to1 ratio of obese boomers to millennials.
Perhaps I am mistaken, but it seems to me, through reading, that generally speaking, older age people have always been more obese than younger ones when comparing age groups; and I think that is due to older people not exercising as much and just the passage of time. (Putting on a pound a year might mean ten extra pounds at age 30, but it could mean 40 extra pounds at age 60.)

I'm 63, btw, and I now weigh about 15 pounds more than I did when I was 17 -- and so what? I walk 25-30 miles a week and regularly lift 40-pound boxes and my BMI is 21. I am actually in better physical shape now than I was 25 years ago.

Also, I am very tired of those in one age group bashing those in another age group. It seems to me that more people in ALL adult age groups are doing this more and more lately, and I wish it would just stop. Although I think it is okay to criticize behavior, I greatly dislike unjustified stereotyping in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top