Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Blame it on student loans. These kids have no money, and the money they do have they are prioritizing it on different things. For example, they care more about gym memberships, manicure/pedicures, organic vegetables, and social experiments promising change than they do buying a house that will build wealth, for example. Millennials will be a very educated generation and have nothing to show for it. Doesn't bode well for America. At all.

A very educated generation burdened by huge student loans, wage stagnation, and both high rent and starter home costs.

Eating out a few times a month while running between my more than full time job, side gigs, grad school, and volunteer/networking obligations isn't going to help me save a down payment for that $400,000 starter condo that much faster, and provides enjoyment and a social outlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Over 1/3 of millennials live at home , its the Number 1 living arrangement today for Americans in the 18-to-34 age bracket to reside without a spouse in their parents’ home. People used to get married and have families, doesnt really bode well for our future

Why not just have mom cook something I imagine and head to the basement

Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Blame all they want, maybe the Millennials have just realized it's crap food ?

Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Applebees and Buffalo Wild Wings have taken pages out of the "Hillary Clinton/Kathy Griffin Let's Blame Everyone Else Instead of Myself" book.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:13 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Blame all they want, maybe the Millennials have just realized it's crap food ?
If it's true that they're cooking and eating real food, that can only be a good thing. As a senior myself, that's how we ate and that's how we eat now. We cook. If we go out, it's not very often and it will be a well chosen locally owned place, not a chain with junk food.

Whatever generation came up with all this eating out at chain places, they could learn from the millennials.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I'm Gen X. It's just too expensive to eat out at many restaurants now. Chains, family restaurants, fast food, you name it, it seems like they raised their prices a great deal overall and they nickel and dime customers on silly little things like condiments. My wife and I have solved this problem by forgoing drinks, using coupons, and going out to lunch rather than dinner.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:18 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
I am pleased to be able to report that I have never, in my life, eaten at a restaurant that specializes in selling 'chicken wings'.

I recall, back in the 1960s, of "Colonel" Sanders of KFC fame, claiming that the 'wing' was the tastiest part of the chicken. The reason he made that claim was because if you ordered a 'bucket' of 'dark meat', say 15 pieces, you would be lucky if 6 pieces were NOT a wing. He loves to stuff those buckets with wings, being the cheapest part of a chicken.

It was a sham. It still is. Whenever I bake a chicken I toss the wings. Little meat, lots of bone and skin.

As for the topic: I agree with the poster, a fellow boomer, whom noted that when we were young eating out was a 'very occasional' treat, usually for special occasions. Of course, back in the 60s one did not have all of these 'casual' food restaurants like Applebee's, Denny's, and what have you. Seems like such places exploded in popularity in the 1980s.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:21 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Millennials endanger casual-dining restaurants - Business Insider

I guess it makes sense, those places are more for the family experience they should cater more to older patrons like Denny's does.

As an Millennial, I actually like sit down places.
I don't eat at those places because their food isn't great. What a bunch of malarkey that article is.

I'd rather eat at a local restaurant, too. Chains cut as many corners as fast food restaurants do - they're just good at convincing you that they're not.

All that said, entering the work force during the Great Recession taught me to eat most of my meals at home, and to bring lunch to work.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryZebra View Post
The food is overpriced for what it is (frozen, microwaved) and you can make healthier/cheaper versions of it at home. I'd rather save up and splurge on good food once every so often.
We're not millennials but this is exactly what we do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
It's not millennials. Buffalo Wild Wings used to be good 10 years ago when it was a much smaller chain. The wings seems like they actually put care into the food, and the drinks were great and it was an awesome place to watch NFL games at.

Now, BWW has got too big for its own good, and the food and the prices are suffering as a result. The wings taste like crap these days...I went to a Redskins/Cowboys game last fall and got BBQ Wings, and the wings were burnt, had little meat but a ton of fried batter bread, and were just drenched in BBQ sauce. It was gross. The fries were super soggy and the mixed drinks I got were 80% mix/20% booze. Also, for this meal, it was about $45 bucks when all said and done...for 10 wings, fries and a long island. I can go to a local bar for the same and get much better quality, and cheaper prices.

And Applebees? Really? I haven't eaten there in years. Again, the food is overpriced and the food is no better than cafeteria food you get in high school. It's just heated up pre-cooked food. Nothing is really fresh, yet you still pay a decent price for the meal.

It has nothing to do with millennials, it's just the fact that the product these days from these brands absolutely sucks.
Yeah I remember BWW when it was a decent​ wing place back in the 90s. Now it's little better than the other restaurants with microwaved food mentioned in this thread. There are much better wing places and many of them offer sports on the TV if you're into that.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:24 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Change or die. I remember restaurants my parents brought me to that didn't keep up with the tastes of the boomers and closed the doors decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies