Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 01:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
They don't want to end up morbidly obese like the boomers who are addicted to highly processed greasy corporate chain food.
Um, the demographics of who's getting fatter does not support this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:58 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Olive Garden stays in business because in many small towns it's the only option for dine-in Italian food. It also still has a "fine dining" perception in some of these areas. I've known people who dress up to go to Olive Garden and it's even a popular place to propose.
I think that was sort of a 90's thing back in the day they were like the first chain to be sort of kind of considered nice.

A lot of Italian restaurants are terrible they're just relying on their family name from back in the 50's. Grandma's old secret sauce isn't always so special just no one ever had the heart to tell her. So places like Olive Garden were a draw for some people.

The changing of the restaurant scene is tied in with how suburbs and so on evolved and grew over the past 30 years.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 06-06-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 02:16 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Maybe its going back to the old days. When I was growing up, we hardly ever went out to dinner. We had our meals at home. That seems to have changed in the last few decades with everyone going out (families included) much more frequently. Home meals were much less common.

I do not blame millennials for for the trouble of these types of restaurants. It is just changing preferences which tend to be cyclical. If not for changing preferences (from my youth), these places would not have existed in the numbers they have in the recent decades.
We must be the same age. It was back in the late 50s and early 60s we might have gone out to dinner may be once a year as a family and that's all.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:20 PM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I'm not a millennial or does this has anything to do with millennial. The food is not fit for humans. Its simple

Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, the demographics of who's getting fatter does not support this statement.
The morbidly obese boomer who currently sits in the White House and his legions of old fat lard-as*es who put him there proves otherwise.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Millennials endanger casual-dining restaurants - Business Insider

I guess it makes sense, those places are more for the family experience they should cater more to older patrons like Denny's does.

As an Millennial, I actually like sit down places.
I don't think it's fair to blame this all on Millennials. I prefer casual dining, I prefer delivery if I'm going to get restaurant food. Even the Chinese place that has a sit down near me, I still prefer to order to go. Mostly, though, I'd prefer to make stuff at home because it is way less expensive, and if you get on to YouTube and start searching, you can make just about anything but you also know who has handled that food, where it's been, how long it's been there, etc. Bonus points.

If I take the time to go to a sit down restaurant, which is extremely rare, it's sure going to be a lot nicer than Applebee's or Olive Garden. Mainly because while the food is edible, it's really not that fabulous. I have never been to one of these places and said, after taking a bite of food, "OMG! This is so good!"

As for Denny's...I always viewed that as the place to go after a night of drinking, not a family restaurant.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:48 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
They don't want to end up morbidly obese like the boomers who are addicted to highly processed greasy corporate chain food.
LOL

Millennials are probably more obese than anyone else, at least until whatever generation is behind them finishes growing.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:48 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
No millennial here but I despise all those chain restaurants, not of which serve fresh quality food. If I'm going to dine out, it's going to be at a restaurant that serves local farm to table food, without all the salt, preservatives, and other crap in most chain restaurants. But then, our family has always cooked at home. We didn't grow up on fast food and never developed a taste for it.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How could the Millenials bring down anything when they have no money?
I eat out every day.

Portions are so big, it results in 2-3 meals for me. Cheaper, easier, and yummier than cooking at home.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:54 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
It wouldn't be a bad thing if they killed off Buffalo Wild Wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies