Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

We have about stopped eating anyplace where wait staff brings the food to your table. I have been at a table of 5 women and we were all called "guys." We have left a tip and later found there was already a tip added to the charge before we saw it. In other words, we paid to be served twice and it wasn't a group; just the two of us.

One waitress was so busy trying to make us feel sorry for her so we would leave a larger tip, I am sure, that she forgot to bring us all the food ordered. We haven't been back. I like to eat in peace without someone trying to take me for an easy mark. That place gives a free dessert on Wednesday's but made a big deal about adding the cost to the bill and suggesting we give a larger tip because they gave a free dessert. Too bad they didn't subtract a counseling charge and the food we didn't get from the bill. I don't like encounters so it ruins my meal to have to demand what I paid for so we just don't go back to the place.

I have found the food is just as good and sometimes better at fast food places and trash cans are usually readily available and usually drink machines too. When we are traveling we can be back on the road in about half the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It wouldn't be a bad thing if they killed off Buffalo Wild Wings.
But...but wings.

Get rid of Applebee's and Olive Garden instead. lol

Old 06-06-2017, 03:07 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The morbidly obese boomer who currently sits in the White House and his legions of old fat lard-as*es who put him there proves otherwise.
Are you one of those non-reading millennials or do charts just confuse you?

Old 06-06-2017, 03:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am pleased to be able to report that I have never, in my life, eaten at a restaurant that specializes in selling 'chicken wings'.

I recall, back in the 1960s, of "Colonel" Sanders of KFC fame, claiming that the 'wing' was the tastiest part of the chicken. The reason he made that claim was because if you ordered a 'bucket' of 'dark meat', say 15 pieces, you would be lucky if 6 pieces were NOT a wing. He loves to stuff those buckets with wings, being the cheapest part of a chicken.

It was a sham. It still is. Whenever I bake a chicken I toss the wings. Little meat, lots of bone and skin.

As for the topic: I agree with the poster, a fellow boomer, whom noted that when we were young eating out was a 'very occasional' treat, usually for special occasions. Of course, back in the 60s one did not have all of these 'casual' food restaurants like Applebee's, Denny's, and what have you. Seems like such places exploded in popularity in the 1980s.
On the bold - you are missing out.

There was a place in Marietta, GA (metro Atlanta) called "Marietta Wings" that made the best dam spicy/lemon pepper wings I have ever tasted in my life. It was a restaurant run by some Brazillian immigrants. Made me aware that Brazillians know how to cook some wings lol.

There was also JR Crickets, which was an Atlanta wing chain. Atlanta has a lot of wing joints. If you ever visit, you should get some.

Here in Ohio, we have Frickers, which is a chain that specializes in wings as well. They are similar to Hooters but you don't have half naked waitresses and their food isn't as expensive.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:14 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Those chains are past there prime. Not sure it has anything to do with millennials.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I think that was sort of a 90's thing back in the day they were like the first chain to be sort of kind of considered nice.

A lot of Italian restaurants are terrible they're just relying on their family name from back in the 50's. Grandma's old secret sauce isn't always so special just no one ever had the heart to tell her. So places like Olive Garden were a draw for some people.

The changing of the restaurant scene is tied in with how suburbs and so on evolved and grew over the past 30 years.
I agree. These chains seemed to be held in much higher esteem in the '90s and into the early 2000s. By the late 2000s, preferences started shifting away from them and towards locally owned, quality establishments. However, there are a lot of places in this country where chains like Olive Garden and Applebee's are the only thing in town other than fast food staples and family restaurants which just aren't very good and only survive on nostalgia. In those kinds of places, the "eat local" craze has yet to take hold.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Some chains straight up need to die. It's their time. Although my millennials happy support Buffalo Wild Wing on half price wing night.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:25 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some chains straight up need to die. It's their time. Although my millennials happy support Buffalo Wild Wing on half price wing night.
What part of the buffalo is a wild wing? LOL Sorry, I don't like Buffalo anything.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some chains straight up need to die. It's their time.
I agree. Tastes change and trends come and go. I think chains like Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Red Robin, TGI Friday's, etc are on their last legs. Meanwhile, today's chains are ones that you don't generally find outside of major metro areas. I am thinking of chains like Ruth's Chris, McCormick & Schmick's, Pappadeaux, etc. You won't find those lining the interstate in every small town in the country.

One thing to consider though that in a lot of small towns, they don't have a very good bar scene and places like TGI Friday's serve as "going to the bar."

Old 06-06-2017, 03:34 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
While this is an interesting and worthwhile thread, I'm curious as to why it's posted in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum and not the food forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies