Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:36 PM

368 posts, read 454,031 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170115-143711.png
Views:	1051
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	179854

With all the turmoil going on in North America, especially in the United States, with strong racism, classism, and social tension and unrest, disintegration is a possiblity, but it wont be bounded by state/political lines, I think it would be bounded more by racial/cultural lines.

This is how I think North America (and the US in particular) would look like 20-50 years after a major internal war and migrations resulting from that. These are the new countries that would form.

Starting from east to west:
Arcadia (light blue)- predominately white, french canadian country. Northern New England & SE Canada (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, northern New York, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick). Feels like a mix of rural France and rural England.

Atlantic Union (darker blue)- very diverse & tolerant, continuation of the old United States, particularly the somewhat liberal eastcoast. Stretches from Massachusetts to Virginia, includes the interior Northeast and the southeastern Ontario/Toronto area. Major cities include Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Alexandria, Richmond, and Newport News. poltically moderate and somewhat liberal leaning.

Nubia (orange)- predominatly native Black American, with decent number of black & non-black immigrants. Pro-black African American nation. U shaped, reflecting the abundance of majority black counties in this region, and many blacks migrating back during internal war, due to most having roots there and already high number of blacks. major cities include Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Birmingham, and Memphis. Possible capital is Atlanta. politically moderate and socially conservative.

Florida (golden yellow)- mixed nation, dominated by black Americans, white Americans, and assimilated Hispanics/Caribbeans (Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Haitians, Jamaicans). The Northern 3/4ths of the Florida peninsula (does not include the panhandle). Feels like a very unique nation, culture feels like a blend of US Southerner and Caribbean islander. Major cities include Orlando and Tampa.

Miami region/South Florida (light green)- becomes apart of Cuba.

Louisiana (teal) - mixed nation, dominated by black Americans, white Americans, and mixed Cajun/Creole. Feels like a mix of Haiti and Quebec, with a strong southern Anglo American twist. Centered around New Orleans, other major cities include Baton Rouge and Mobile.

The Confederacy (dark red) - In the heartland of the former United States. Very white, especially of Scottish and German ancestries. Very conservative. Unlike the historical 1800s Confederacy, this one is mostly in the Midwest, but is very Pro-White and intolerant, just like the old one, intolerant whites in the south fled to the midwest where theres similarly intolerant whites, because of the South being overtaking by African Americans. Major cities include Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinatti, Louisville, Nashville, Indianapolis, Detroit, Chicago, St Louis, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Omaha.

Texas (brown)- mixed nation, dominated by white Americans, black Americans, and mexican americans. Blend of southwest, deep south, and great plains cultures. Major cities include Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi. Very conservative.

Atzlan (dark green)- mostly mexican american, southwest US and northern half of mexico (while the southern half of mexico annexes Guatemala). Blend of northern mexican and southwest american cultures, like modern day chicano culture. Major cities include El Paso, Alberquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Ciudad Juarez.

Deseret (pink)- mostly white, very liberal, dominated by mormons. Major cities include Denver, Salt Lake City, and San Francisco.

Cascadia (purple)- mostly white, some asian too. Very liberal. Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. Major cities include Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver.

Oklahoma (beige)- mostly native american and white. North Central US and Central Canada (west Ontario to the BC border). Does not include the actual state of Oklahoma. Calgary is the major city.

Hawaii becomes its own nation, liberal, somewhat diverse, dominated by asians and pacific islanders.

Alaska becomes its own nation, conservative, dominated by whites and natives. It annexes Yukon Territory.

Quebec becomes its own nation, liberal, mostly whites, it becomes another France. It annexes Newfoundland and Labrador.

Puerto Rico becomes its own nation, socially conservative, and dominated by mixed race Hispanics. It annexes the Virgin Islands, and later unites with the Dominican Republic.

I think Brazil would suffer a similar breakup. With the south coast around Porto Alegre being a almost exclusively white country similar to Argentina. The east coast around Salvador and Recife being predominately mulatto/mixed and black similar to Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. The vast interior would be predominatly native similar to Peru.

Do you guys agree with my map?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
I can't speak for other regions, but your Acadia is exactly as I would do it, though I'd throw in the province of Prince Edward Island too and possibly Newfoundland and Labrador too so to not leave them hanging out there by themselves. Most people who do these kinds of "what if's" tend to put Northern New England in with Southern New England and NY/NJ and maybe the rest of the Northeast. We have nothing in common with them. You are the 1st person to get Acadia right (and it is Acadia, not Arcadia).

Old 01-15-2017, 01:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1995 View Post
Disagree

Too many regions. It seems you are basing your division on race instead of ideology.

We just need 2, the US and the confederacy
Given there are liberals and conservatives living side by side in every region, and the fact that we often see predominantly liberal cities in otherwise conservative States, doing it by politics doesn't work.

The manner in which he did it is the best I have seen.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:05 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
No, it is not appropriate.

For example, what's the reason for putting coastal Oregon with the inland Oregon? The latter are probably as conservative as most of Texas. To say all of Oregon is "liberal", that's just so misleading. Same applies to California. For the same reason, it is unfair to put Houston etc along with the Jesus loving, abortion hating crazy people.

The truth is, the cultural lines in the US doesn't follow geographic delineations. If you want it to be right, you have to put all the major metropolitan areas together, and the rest together. Of course the latter will have 95% of the land size, but probably half of the population.

in sum, i won't work.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:10 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
The NW is totally wrong if you want to divide along cultural lines. WA and OR should be split along the Cascades with the eastern parts and Idaho belonging with Montana and Wyoming. Utah should also be with them, including extremely conservative Utah with San Francisco when dividing along race and culture lines makes absolutely zero sense.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Spread of BS is more like it.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
I guess my personal favorite in this breakup is that Mormons magically transform themselves into "very Liberal" from very Conservative. The Capitol City of Oklahoma is Ontario is a close second and all those Black Majority Urban centers in the Midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Madison) become "Very White, Very Conservative" and called The Confederacy - is a tie with both 1st & 2nd.

You are talking major population shifts based on race - that not a reality we will ever see.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Oceania is still at war with Eastasia.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:53 PM

368 posts, read 454,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I guess my personal favorite in this breakup is that Mormons magically transform themselves into "very Liberal" from very Conservative. The Capitol City of Oklahoma is Ontario is a close second and all those Black Majority Urban centers in the Midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Madison) become "Very White, Very Conservative" and called The Confederacy - is a tie with both 1st & 2nd.

You are talking major population shifts based on race - that not a reality we will ever see.
I probably did f*ck up on the mormon part. But like biker said, every country has liberal and conservative portions usually based on level of wealth and urbanity, but as long as these sections are the same culturally thats what counts. As for Midwest cities with large black populations getting much whiter, well I'm not a fortune teller but I'd imagine during the midst and aftermath of a major internal race/class war, people would migrate to places they think safe, which would mostly be places with family members/friends and ppl of the same race/culture. Which is why I think after a major internal race/class war, the Midwest would get whiter and the South would get blacker, and nations would be based upon this. Tho, there would be some blurry areas. The Northeast, Texas, and Florida would largely be diverse. The US state of Oklahoma is named after a Native American tribe, which can also be the name of the country in the future, with no refrence to the actual state.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:58 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1995 View Post
Disagree

Too many regions. It seems you are basing your division on race instead of ideology.

We just need 2, the US and the confederacy
Gee, what a unique idea. I seem to recall from History class ( a long time ago when it was actually taught) that that just might have been tried before! I don't think the outcome was very good!

And to nobody in particular;

How about this idea. We stay together, You know, "United we stand, Divided we fall".
When you feel we are too racist, too diferent and can not agree on politics, get a passport and visit some other country's. You want one party? Visit country's that are ruled by one party and see how successful they are! Think we're racist? Try visiting assorted other country's and you'll see that we get long quite well. You need to go cry in a safe space because your candidate didn't win the election. Visit any of a bunch of country's where the winning candidate does not become president because of coups. where there is no peaceful transition of power. Where the winning candidate takes his seat and makes himself dictator. Or where the losing candidate anoints himself dictator and locks up the incoming leader. Plenty of other country's like that.

Spend some time in other country's, especially the 2nd and third world and you'll come back here glad the US is like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies