Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times

Advertisements

I think it could easily happen via a coup in Washington and I think it might be something we might face whenever Trump leaves office, be it by impeachment, resignation, or him serving out his Presidency until 2020 or 2024.

When it happens, I am worried about severe oppression for anyone who doesn't conform or is perceived as an enemy of the state. This will include atheists, scientists, liberal historians, the LGBT community, Muslims, etc. Society will likely be a cross between "A Handmaids Tale" and "V for Vendetta." I can easily see the Southern Baptist Convention being absorbed by the new government and becoming the state church. Media and the Internet will be heavily controlled and censored by the state.

Why could this happen? A large percentage of Americans have lost faith in our system of government and believe the only option is to burn the entire thing down and start over. They realize there is no rolling back Roe v Wade, marriage equality, or forcing cultural Christianity and traditional values on everyone within the confines of our current system of government. They will need a new, right-wing authoritarian government to accomplish their goals. Whether Trump serves out his Presidency or not, it's very likely that a Democrat will be elected in 2020 or 2024 and when that happens, I don't think the far right will be able to accept it. We are already seeing more and more calls for revolution from the far right. We are headed to a very dire place in this country.

I am beginning to wonder if progressives need to start thinking about getting or renewing their passports so we can escape once the coup happens.

Maybe the Baptists were right when they were preaching that gay marriage would be the end of our country. It's simply happening in a different way than they expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:53 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
The Left will be the ones that do this.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:54 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Not quite. Who is in charge again?

Granted, it's not happening from any side - but you sure put a lot of confidence in a group of people that have no power in government.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM

543 posts, read 703,071 times
I've been hoping for this to happen since Johnson got elected and it never will. The country is split down the middle and thats the way it's supposed to be.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:56 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
"Headed"???

That was a done deal by 1913 my friend...The Chosen Families have been in legal control (although they were in effective control since our inception) all along. And no party, representative, or "government", can change that, until the entire world's monetary system is abandoned....

Old 06-06-2017, 11:57 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
+1

I don't know where any of the hysteria the OP mentioned is coming from in the current administration. Besides all the BS you see on the news these days.

Like I said earlier, if Trump and his administration are authoritarian in any way, they sure are doing a crappy job of it.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think it could easily happen via a coup in Washington and I think it might be something we might face whenever Trump leaves office, be it by impeachment, resignation, or him serving out his Presidency until 2020 or 2024.

When it happens, I am worried about severe oppression for anyone who doesn't conform or is perceived as an enemy of the state. This will include atheists, scientists, liberal historians, the LGBT community, Muslims, etc. Society will likely be a cross between "A Handmaids Tale" and "V for Vendetta." I can easily see the Southern Baptist Convention being absorbed by the new government and becoming the state church. Media and the Internet will be heavily controlled and censored by the state.

Why could this happen? A large percentage of Americans have lost faith in our system of government and believe the only option is to burn the entire thing down and start over. They realize there is no rolling back Roe v Wade, marriage equality, or forcing cultural Christianity and traditional values on everyone within the confines of our current system of government. They will need a new, right-wing authoritarian government to accomplish their goals. Whether Trump serves out his Presidency or not, it's very likely that a Democrat will be elected in 2020 or 2024 and when that happens, I don't think the far right will be able to accept it. We are already seeing more and more calls for revolution from the far right. We are headed to a very dire place in this country.

I am beginning to wonder if progressives need to start thinking about getting or renewing their passports so we can escape once the coup happens.

Maybe the Baptists were right when they were preaching that gay marriage would be the end of our country. It's simply happening in a different way than they expected.
yes. escape now while there's still time

Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Default Obama Adminstratio Front and Center!

Obama actual cam close to accomplish those goals that the OP has suggested.

Wiretapping
IRS
Collusion with the Russians
Soros pumping Millions into HRC
Susan rice releasing names to the press
Seth Rich
Comey and the HRC case.

Using the power of Government to seal the power of the DNC.

Obama Holdover 'Shadow Government' Plotting to Undermine Trump

http://www.breitbart.com/.../obama-s...dermine-trump/
  1. Cached

Feb 17, 2017 - There are even allegations that former President Barack Obama ... being around political campaigns” would seem validated by a press corps that ... Rogue intel officers and Deep State warriors would be natural allies for the Obama holdovers. .... Arrest Obama and charge him with treason and conspiracy.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
You would think the drama would have died down

Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Adulterous whoremonger?

You described Clinton to a t!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies