Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 02:15 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

I'm normally not anti-police, but this story made me rethink things. I saw this on Reddit and found these articles relating to the event. A San Francisco public defender was arrested for "resisting arrest" (no idea how you can even be arrested for resisting arrest) because she tried to stop investigators from taking photos of her client.

Apparently nothing actually happened to the police who wrongfully arrested the attorney.

When will things change so that police have some accountability? Because as it stands, they can do whatever they want, and end up with "paid leave".

Police watchdog: officer wrongly arrested deputy public defender in courthouse - by j_lamb - The San Francisco Examiner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 02:19 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
That a sanctioned gang of the State, which is itself a institution of aggression, a thug organization, is unaccountable? No!

Why anyone is ever shocked that psychopaths who want to have authority over others act like psychopaths is beyond me. You have a thug job, you hire thugs to do the job. That is government.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:24 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm normally not anti-police, but this story made me rethink things. I saw this on Reddit and found these articles relating to the event. A San Francisco public defender was arrested for "resisting arrest" (no idea how you can even be arrested for resisting arrest) because she tried to stop investigators from taking photos of her client.

Apparently nothing actually happened to the police who wrongfully arrested the attorney.

When will things change so that police have some accountability? Because as it stands, they can do whatever they want, and end up with "paid leave".

Police watchdog: officer wrongly arrested deputy public defender in courthouse - by j_lamb - The San Francisco Examiner
I'm alot like you, I have always given the cops the benefit of the doubt but over the past few years I have become increasingly conflicted. I realize they have a hard, thankless, and often dangerous job, but we also can't run roughshod over constitutional liberties and having cops violate civil rights just because.

I think the police have too much leeway and too little accountability. Far too often we have cops that outright commit crimes and get away with it because of some union perk or whatever. Cops should not be above the law ... nobody should be.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:28 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm normally not anti-police, but this story made me rethink things.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:30 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I'm just teasing you lepoisson, besides I've been looking for the opportunity to use that gif. But it does serve a purpose, you should have seen the light come on long before this story. We see video constantly.

I have all the respect in the world for "good cops". But they are not doing enough to weed out the bad ones, the "brotherhood" that keeps them from speaking up is the biggest problem we have.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:30 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I'm alot like you, I have always given the cops the benefit of the doubt but over the past few years I have become increasingly conflicted. I realize they have a hard, thankless, and often dangerous job, but we also can't run roughshod over constitutional liberties and having cops violate civil rights just because.

I think the police have too much leeway and too little accountability. Far too often we have cops that outright commit crimes and get away with it because of some union perk or whatever. Cops should not be above the law ... nobody should be.
I was reading this book about a guy that bought a $500 house in Detroit. He was harassed by the police one afternoon (by harassed, I mean having guns shoved in his face and thrown on the hood of their car) because he was walking to his $500 house that was in a bad neighborhood. The police assumed he was there to sell drugs. The author is white, so I can only imagine how blacks in Detroit are treated.

Unless you are suspected of committing a crime, the police should have no right to stop you and shove guns in your face. Any time this is broken, that officer should be fired and publicly shamed.

I think it's also important to remember that an officer can arrest us at ANY TIME for ANY REASON. They can just say you were interfering with their business/investigation or failing to comply. Any time these charges are found to be bogus, the officer should lose his/her job.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
When ever you see the only charge is resisting arrest that is a red flag. Its the catch all charge police too often fallback on. There should also be a charge for the crime that they were arrested for. If not, how can they be arrested for resisting if there is no prior crime that justifies an arrest ?

Old 06-07-2017, 03:45 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
I am white, 69 years old, and live in an almost all white town. I got stopped and harassed one evening for walking, by a white cop. He actually called for backup before I could show him my ID. And yes I know I don't have to show it, but I was just cooperating. The cop was an arrogant jerk. I no longer have respect for all of them. If they ever stop me again, they better have a good reason.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:47 PM

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
To serve and protect....the interests of the state

Old 06-07-2017, 03:50 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Law enforcement is the largest criminal gang operating in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies