Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,890,584 times

Advertisements

The Comey document, released today could not be more damning to President* Trump. In his written statement Comey reveals what was said in his 5 meetings/phone calls with Trump before Comey was fired as head of the FBI. It's a 6 page pdf document, so I'll give a few highlights along withe link to the statement so that folks can read it for themselves and draw their own conclusions without help from Fox or MSNBC:

In regard to Comey's first one on one dinner with Trump (January 27):

Quote:
My instincts told me that the one-on-one setting, and the pretense that this was our first discussion about my position, meant the dinner was, at least in part, an effort to have me ask for my job and create some sort of patronage relationship. That concerned me greatly, given the FBI’s traditionally independent status in the executive branch...

Near the end of our dinner, the President returned to the subject of my job, saying he was very glad I wanted to stay, adding that he had heard great things 4 about me from Jim Mattis, Jeff Sessions, and many others. He then said, “I need loyalty.” I replied, “You will always get honesty from me.”
February 14 Oval Office Meeting:

Quote:
I had understood the President to be requesting that we drop any investigation of Flynn in connection with false statements about his conversations with the Russian ambassador in December. I did not understand the President to be talking about the broader investigation into Russia or possible links to his campaign. I could be wrong, but I took him to be focusing on what had just happened with Flynn’s departure and the controversy around his account of his phone calls. Regardless, it was very concerning, given the FBI’s role as an independent investigative agency.
April 11 Phone Call

Quote:
On the morning of April 11, the President called me and asked what I had
done about his request that I “get out” that he is not personally under investigation...
I said the White House Counsel should contact the leadership of DOJ to
make the request, which was the traditional channel.

He said he would do that and added, “Because I have been very loyal to
you, very loyal; we had that thing you know.”
I did not reply or ask him what he
meant by “that thing.” I said only that the way to handle it was to have the White
House Counsel call the Acting Deputy Attorney General. He said that was what
he would do and the call ended.

That was the last time I spoke with President Trump.
https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/...mey-060817.pdf

Now I know that the cons here will want to equate loyalty to the president* with loyalty to the United States. Anyone who makes this mistake is just playing party politics. The FBI, CIA, etc. are independent agencies whose purpose is to be loyal to our COUNTRY, not some government official - up to and including the president.

In addition, why would a man with nothing to hide keep demanding "loyalty" over truth?

Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM

25,622 posts, read 21,786,100 times
I read nothing "damning for Trump". Comey is never really clear and one is always wondering what he said when he finishes.

I realize the libs are looking for something as the resistance loses steam, but I don't think this is the golden egg you are looking for. You'll have to find another "goose".

Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,741,223 times
I agree, but it doesn't really matter. It's party before country today. Trump is extremely popular and congress is not going to move to impeach a popular President over something like this. Stupid and inappropriate is not impeachable.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:19 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,891,837 times
OP grasping for straws like the rest of the Peanut Gallery. LOL

Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 PM

20,393 posts, read 12,287,969 times
NO its not. not at all. nothing in that indicates that Trump did anything illegal .

Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 PM

46,191 posts, read 26,853,468 times
Quote:
“I need loyalty.” I replied, “You will always get honesty from me.” He paused and then said, “That’s what I want, honest loyalty.”
So, he wanted honest loyalty? And you oppose that?

You cannot take sentences and attempt to get what you want, you must read and comprehend the entire document....

Quote:
I explained that we had briefed the leadership of Congress on exactly which individuals we were investigating and that we had told those Congressional leaders that we were not personally investigating President Trump

Above is the one nobody will talk about.....and he (comey) would not tell the press, which is probably why he was fired....

Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM

26,543 posts, read 14,340,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump is extremely popular ...
what do you base that claim on?

Quote:
Stupid and inappropriate is not impeachable.
i agree on this point.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:26 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,527,625 times
Democrats were bending over to receive Comey's prepared remarks and received them in deserving fashion.

36,915 posts, read 18,773,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, he wanted honest loyalty? And you oppose that?

The Director of the FBI has no loyalty to anyone or anything except justice and the law, and never should. I'm surprised Comey didn't laugh in Trump's face and walk out.

15,576 posts, read 10,289,207 times
I'm not interested in the Comey saga until all is said and done, I'll read the CliffsNotes later, but it is very interesting that the Left who wanted Comey's head on a platter a few months ago are now cheerleading for the guy and incensed he was fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies