U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,677 posts, read 6,728,894 times
Reputation: 5714

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Do you really want to take 12.5 million taxpaying private workers creating 2.7 trillion dollars (one fifth of the economy) and make them public employees consuming 2.7 trillion dollars instead of paying it?. We'll be Venezuela in 10 years.
You do realize that government employees still pay income tax, right? They don't get tax free paychecks. Just pointing that out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 PM
 
368 posts, read 457,087 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You do realize that government employees still pay income tax, right? They don't get tax free paychecks. Just pointing that out....
Is doesn't make sense from an accounting point of view. A government employee is a liability because the taxes they pay back to the government was from monies payed to them by the government. It can't work. They don't produce revenue, they consume it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 03:45 PM
 
2,780 posts, read 996,922 times
Reputation: 3678
Vermont looked at it but not figure out how to pay for it. It would have bankrupted the State.

The only way a single payer system can work is on a national scale. Any single State that does it will attract people with chronic conditions, many of whom won't be able to work and will need welfare benefits too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Washington State
18,194 posts, read 9,435,921 times
Reputation: 15504
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
With Obamacare falling apart and the GOP/Senate stalling on offering another plan is Single Payer Healthcare around the corner? California passed a bill this year to enact a single payer plan for every resident. Many other states are following California's lead.


Single-payer health care gains momentum in liberal states -- but can they afford it? | Fox News


Lawmakers in New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts proposed single-payer bills this year. Last week, a bill passed the California Senate that would make every resident, legal or not, eligible for coverage no premium, no copayment, no deductible.
I wish some of these states will give it a try and show the rest of us if it's going to work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 05:14 PM
 
8,850 posts, read 3,903,803 times
Reputation: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Vermont looked at it but not figure out how to pay for it. It would have bankrupted the State.

The only way a single payer system can work is on a national scale. Any single State that does it will attract people with chronic conditions, many of whom won't be able to work and will need welfare benefits too.
No state can afford the HC costs of their people. If you just take the number of Medicare aged people in any state and multiply by $10K, you will see that those costs alone are about equal to the total state budget.

Total Number of Medicare Beneficiaries | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,677 posts, read 6,728,894 times
Reputation: 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Is doesn't make sense from an accounting point of view. A government employee is a liability because the taxes they pay back to the government was from monies payed to them by the government. It can't work. They don't produce revenue, they consume it.
It may not make sense to you, but that's the way it is. I have a friend who is a police officer, he still has income tax taken out of his paychecks, and that's just one example.

And government workers don't produce revenue, because they don't work in for-profit industries. Their jobs exist because the private sector couldn't give people the services that government workers provide at an affordable cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 05:19 PM
 
8,850 posts, read 3,903,803 times
Reputation: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Do you really want to take 12.5 million taxpaying private workers creating 2.7 trillion dollars (one fifth of the economy) and make them public employees consuming 2.7 trillion dollars instead of paying it?. We'll be Venezuela in 10 years.
I would suggest that for the most part the HC delivery systems, docs, hospitals and facilities stay within the private sector. As exists today. IMO we do not want gov't ownership/employees like the VA system, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,677 posts, read 6,728,894 times
Reputation: 5714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No state can afford the HC costs of their people. If you just take the number of Medicare aged people in any state and multiply by $10K, you will see that those costs alone are about equal to the total state budget.

Total Number of Medicare Beneficiaries | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Younger people don't have the healthcare needs of senior citizens, so the cost for younger people is lower
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,789 posts, read 4,896,352 times
Reputation: 17135
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
With Obamacare falling apart and the GOP/Senate stalling on offering another plan is Single Payer Healthcare around the corner? California passed a bill this year to enact a single payer plan for every resident. Many other states are following California's lead.


Single-payer health care gains momentum in liberal states -- but can they afford it? | Fox News


Lawmakers in New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts proposed single-payer bills this year. Last week, a bill passed the California Senate that would make every resident, legal or not, eligible for coverage no premium, no copayment, no deductible.
Add Nevada: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...dicaid-for-all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 PM
 
8,850 posts, read 3,903,803 times
Reputation: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Younger people don't have the healthcare needs of senior citizens, so the cost for younger people is lower
Of course. But state single payer is single payer. If people want to talk state single payer aside from Medicare still servicing the state, then that's not single payer.

States cannot afford the remainder. This is why we have the various Federally subsidized Medicaids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top