U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,666 posts, read 968,832 times
Reputation: 1882

Advertisements

The fact that people are upset over so small a concession to people on food stamps is ****ing disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 PM
 
15,367 posts, read 5,664,055 times
Reputation: 11511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I have zero problems with people on food stamps getting a discount. OP maybe you can trade lives with those people and decide which one you'd prefer to have: so poor that you need food stamps but you get a little Amazon Prime discount to ease the pain. OR....live a comfortable life such that you can afford a full priced Amazon Prime membership.

Hmmm which to choose.
Exactly. There are many here who apparently believe the working poor are living the good life. Which only goes to show they know of no working poor. I do, and trust me, no one here would trade their life for theirs. It's a slow, hard, exhausting, never-ending grind just to keep your head above water on a daily basis.

But oh, horror! They're being offered a little perk that people who aren't in need of aren't being offered. It's not FAIR!!

Shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Status: "Not quite my tempo" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Bran's tree
10,927 posts, read 4,801,139 times
Reputation: 12322
I'd rather see the discount applied on things food stamps would cover only (plus necessities such as toilet paper, medicine, vitamins, toothpaste, floss, cleaning supplies, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:10 PM
 
Location: N. Ga
3,694 posts, read 3,272,625 times
Reputation: 2054
Here is the problem that I have with it...

Amazon Prime is billed at a cost of $10.99 per month and the Fresh Add-on is billed at a cost of $14.99 per month; a total cost of $25.98 per month. You can fill a virtual box of items from the Prime Pantry store and have them conveniently delivered to your doorstep for a flat delivery fee of $5.99 per box. Shipping for food is NOT FREE. Now just out of curiousity I looked up a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper (my guilty pleasure). The price with "free" shipping is 19.95. Nineteen Ninety Five for a 12 pack!!!! Who in their right mind would pay that for a 12 pack of soda's. So giving prime for food isn't their main idea behind this. So you got your SNAP card in hand, you're going to still go down to the local market for your food, but.... now you can purchase all your other wants, needed or not, through Amazon thanks to the fact that someone else is paying full price. Nope.... no thanks.... Amazon. You can charge us all the same "prime" charge or you can forget it...

Come on.... nobody here wants people to starve but the constant trying to guilt me into feeling bad because I happen to think that 2 people should be charged the same thing for the same item. Amazon isn't calling it a discount. They are calling it a fee. So this isn't a senior discount, or a military discount...this is an annual fee plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,951 posts, read 19,922,199 times
Reputation: 12833
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post

Come on.... nobody here wants people to starve but the constant trying to guilt me into feeling bad because I happen to think that 2 people should be charged the same thing for the same item. Amazon isn't calling it a discount. They are calling it a fee. So this isn't a senior discount, or a military discount...this is an annual fee plain and simple.
I agree with you 100%

I think people need to realize that Amazon is not a charity group, their primary and ONLY goal is profit.

Welfare business is a big business. People on government assistance are valuable customers to a lot of businesses. It is obvious that Amazon wants to attract more customers to benefit their company. Nothing more/less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:17 PM
 
10,593 posts, read 12,076,421 times
Reputation: 6449
What's Amazon's rationale for offering the Student Prime Discount? Last time I checked they got quite a good discount also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:19 PM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,241,909 times
Reputation: 17644
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Some people will find a way to hate the elderly or disabled for 1. being so, 2. having SNAP, 3, wanting fresh foods, and 4. not being able to leave home easily in order to shop or living in a food desert.
I think Americans are the only people who are jealous of the poor. It's the weirdest thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,666 posts, read 968,832 times
Reputation: 1882
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Here is the problem that I have with it...

Amazon Prime is billed at a cost of $10.99 per month and the Fresh Add-on is billed at a cost of $14.99 per month; a total cost of $25.98 per month. You can fill a virtual box of items from the Prime Pantry store and have them conveniently delivered to your doorstep for a flat delivery fee of $5.99 per box. Shipping for food is NOT FREE. Now just out of curiousity I looked up a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper (my guilty pleasure). The price with "free" shipping is 19.95. Nineteen Ninety Five for a 12 pack!!!! Who in their right mind would pay that for a 12 pack of soda's. So giving prime for food isn't their main idea behind this. So you got your SNAP card in hand, you're going to still go down to the local market for your food, but.... now you can purchase all your other wants, needed or not, through Amazon thanks to the fact that someone else is paying full price. Nope.... no thanks.... Amazon. You can charge us all the same "prime" charge or you can forget it...

Come on.... nobody here wants people to starve but the constant trying to guilt me into feeling bad because I happen to think that 2 people should be charged the same thing for the same item. Amazon isn't calling it a discount. They are calling it a fee. So this isn't a senior discount, or a military discount...this is an annual fee plain and simple.

And? who cares? Who cares about the purpose of why they're doing it? As a company they can do what they want then. Oh wait a minute....I see so what you're reeeeally worried about is that Amazon is going to bait those unwitting poor people into buying things they don't need. Wow you were looking out for them the whole time!! So compassionate. Clearly I misjudged.

/s

OP I feel sorry for you that you view the world as a zero sum game. Like is it really hurting your life that much that people on food stamps would get a discount? Yeah, you should feel guilty bud. Feel free to cancel your subscription, you won't be missed.

EDIT: took out Lilyflower's comment because I mistook his/her intent.

Last edited by Valhallian; 06-08-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
21,713 posts, read 21,590,287 times
Reputation: 21369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You do know that the majority of people on food stamps are working, right? No, you probably are completely unaware of the working poor. Watch this video and then tell us all about how good the working poor have it:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTXmJ9-0Ic

It's shameful that someone who is fortunate enough to be able to survive without assistance is berating a private company for deciding to provide a small service to help those who are less fortunate than yourself. Is this any skin off your nose? Nope, you just hate the thought of the poor getting something to make their lives just a fraction easier.

But don't fret, their lives are still not as easy as yours. That should make you happy at least.
Im not sure why you feel me not agree with Amazon giving a certain group discounts is berating them.
I just choose to stop my Prime. Its not shameful and does not affect you. And please stop pretending you know what my financial status is or how I feel about people in general.

But if Amazon truly wanted to make people who are struggling financially lives a little easier they would institute a sliding fee scale. They are for profit and this is just a marketing scheme to get more money from that particular base, just like the discounts to students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,951 posts, read 19,922,199 times
Reputation: 12833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
And? who cares? Who cares about the purpose of why they're doing it? ?
Not sure what is the purpose of your post when the ONLY point I was making is that they are a private company. If you don't like their service, you don't have to sign up.

Don't see the controversy in their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top