Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 10:51 AM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe you were not including Amazon in that, but this is, after all, a thread about Amazon
No it wasnt directed at Amazon. General business practices, thus saying big business.
Just because the topic is Amazon doesnt mean we cant reference business practices in general as a whole or other specific companies. Maybe just read the words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
My edited quote right after I posted yesterday because I knew someone would question it:

So...99/12= 8.25
8.25-5.99= 2.26

I mean if you want to pay 10.99/month...by all means go for it. I'm a bargain hunter. I would rather save 32.88 by paying something in full. I even do this with my gym membership. Instead of a 12 month membership I get 13 months for paying in full.
Its 99$/year if you pay yearly, I'm assuming ~45$ with the discount yearly but I didnt see the yearly discounted price specifically just 45%. If you subscribe monthly its 10.99/month regular price, 5.99/month discount price. That is not a difference of $2.26.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:31 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I buy from Amazon a lot simply because I currently live in a remote resort-type area and we have no big box stores within 50 miles other than a Walmart. That said, I'm a Prime member, and get more than my membership fee money's worth in free shipping, free promotional Kindle books, and Prime video downloading/streaming. They have NatGeo shows, documentaries, etc., so I think it's well worth the price.

Amazon let me know 2 months in advance the annual membership fee was going to be charged. I'm reasonably sure you got the same, but maybe thought it was spam.

Now, if you want to talk ripoff... satellite radio (not naming names, but you all know who I mean). MORE per year than a Prime membership. I refuse to do it.
No, the rep I talked to admitted that they had not notified me before they took the money. And all charges were supposed to go on my Amazon account. They also refused to give me the student price of $49.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:23 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
"On Tuesday, the behemoth announced a 45% discount to its Prime membership for those on food stamps. Anyone who has an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card can join Amazon Prime for $5.99 per month rather than $10.99. "

I hate Wal-mart... everyone knows that. But Wal-mart doesn't charge me more for an item just because it can. When Amazon starts mean testing (which is what this is) it's time to leave Amazon. You want to give away profit (which is something you don't show on your balance sheet anyway Amazon) donate food and items on your dime to those who need it. I find that highly commendable. But don't make me subsidize someone else's streaming video, fidget spinners, and literature (Amazon's three most sold items!). This really irritates me this morning.....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...215757568.html
I'm sorry if you are bitter about people on food stamps geting ripped off a little bit less than you are for amazon prime(sorry it's true, do the math) then you must be jealous of literally every person on earth.
Are you jealous of the people who get the one free cup of rice from those infomercials raising money for the poorest people in africa. I thought this was a joke but I guess not!

Old 06-11-2017, 12:37 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Amazon can do what they want and they should be able to charge people what they want. Was it a smart business move, I'm not sure, but I won't stop shopping there. I don't use Amazon prime, but I shop quite a bit and sell some stuff on there.

I'm sure Walmart gets a lot more money from the government via food stamps then Amazon does. One offers a discount and the other gets subsidized in a round about way and you are mad at who? I don't think conservatives should be angry at Amazon.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:34 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
I never had prime and never will. I will be their customer.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:45 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No, the rep I talked to admitted that they had not notified me before they took the money. And all charges were supposed to go on my Amazon account. They also refused to give me the student price of $49.
Why?

Old 06-11-2017, 01:49 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
I never had prime and never will. I will be their customer.
And that's a personal choice when one considers cost/benefit, no?

If one doesn't like Prime, don't subscribe/pay for Prime.

It's a free market decision.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:51 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its 99$/year if you pay yearly, I'm assuming ~45$ with the discount yearly but I didnt see the yearly discounted price specifically just 45%. If you subscribe monthly its 10.99/month regular price, 5.99/month discount price. That is not a difference of $2.26.
If you subscribe monthly, thats your fault for paying extra.

I dont know anyone who has bought Prime and then cancelled it in less than a year.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:43 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
this is no different than a cell phone or cable companies having lower prices for new customers.

Amazon is just trying to increase revenue streams.
The difference is that this is only for people on food stamps and Amazon sells all types of luxury stuff not meant to be bought for people who suppose to need government assistance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies