U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 AM

21,713 posts, read 21,590,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
To those that legitimately in need of assistance I have no problems with this. To the people that are taking advantage of the system... yeah, call me a snowflake or not but I do have a problem with it , as anyone with common sense would.
But who is legitimately in need of assistance for Amazon prime?
The main reason I had prime was so I could watch certain shows and not wait a year until they came out on Netflix. The music and fast "free" shipping is nice too for stuff I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You're upset because they offer a discount to some other group of people but not to you. Got it.

Talk about snowflakes. SMH.

Are TV programs, movies, streaming music and "free" shipping a necessity for those who don't work or cant make a high enough salary to pay rent and utilities or buy food?
So yeah, a bit miffed. These people already get assistance for basic living necessities + some while those who sacrificed and worked hard so they didnt need living subsidies pay full price for everything. Just another example of rewarding those who are underachievers and snubbing those who worked harder and made better choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 08:24 AM

7,186 posts, read 2,734,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Are they going to allow them to use their EBT card to buy stuff too?
Don't know, but it would make sense that any purchases that would be paid via the EBT would have the same limitations that they have at the store. Don't you agree? We do have the miracle of modern technology that could be used to program that, right?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:26 AM

15,367 posts, read 5,664,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But who is legitimately in need of assistance for Amazon prime?
The main reason I had prime was so I could watch certain shows and not wait a year until they came out on Netflix. The music and fast "free" shipping is nice too for stuff I buy.

Are TV programs, movies, streaming music and "free" shipping a necessity for those who don't work or cant make a high enough salary to pay rent and utilities or buy food?
So yeah, a bit miffed. These people already get assistance for basic living necessities + some while those who sacrificed and worked hard so they didnt need living subsidies pay full price for everything. Just another example of rewarding those who are underachievers and snubbing those who worked harder and made better choices.
You do realize that Amazon delivers much, much more than just streaming music and TV shows, right? Check out Amazon Fresh. They deliver groceries to your door. People who live in food deserts, which are always low income areas, often don't have access to fresh produce. This would give them that access.

Oh, the horror!

Old 06-08-2017, 08:36 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,897,979 times
Catchy title, I give you that. But I think the anger is either misdirected or you're just being angry for the sake of it.

You're angry at Amazon for giving discount to those on EBT / food stamps, while touting Walmart at the same time. Walmart does not have prime membership like Amazon but they, like all merchants, couldn't care less what these folks buy in their store - big screen TVs, expensive electronic gadgets, whatever - as long as they spend the money in their stores. They don't care where the money comes from, or whether they're abusing the systems, etc. We, all tax payers, will somehow subsidize these systems abusers one way or another, regardless of where they shop.

So why single out Amazon? At least they care that this is government money, therefore they take less money from these folks. The other stores don't care and charge full price for whatever they buy.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 AM

21,713 posts, read 21,590,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You do realize that Amazon delivers much, much more than just streaming music and TV shows, right? Check out Amazon Fresh. They deliver groceries to your door. People who live in food deserts, which are always low income areas, often don't have access to fresh produce. This would give them that access.

Oh, the horror!
Do they need reduced prime rates to order food from amazon. You can order without having prime so they still have that access.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 AM

10,851 posts, read 10,516,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
fidget spinners,
The pet rock of the 21st century. What a joke. People going to start paying good money for navel lint next?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:36 AM

15,367 posts, read 5,664,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do they need reduced prime rates to order food from amazon. You can order without having prime so they still have that access.
From Amazon's own site: "Amazon Fresh is a grocery delivery and pickup service available exclusively to Prime members."

So you cannot get Prime Fresh unless you are an Amazon Prime member.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 AM

35,121 posts, read 39,962,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You're upset because they offer a discount to some other group of people but not to you. Got it.

Talk about snowflakes. SMH.
It has nothing to do with being a snowflake and everything to do with treating all customers the same
no matter their financial status. We have been prime members since 2001 but with this information
Mr. CSD and I will be discussing renewing our membership.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 AM

44,297 posts, read 17,669,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
From Amazon's own site: "Amazon Fresh is a grocery delivery and pickup service available exclusively to Prime members."

So you cannot get Prime Fresh unless you are an Amazon Prime member.
LOL, They won't be ordering Fresh food.

You can go to any Walmart after the EBT cards are charged up for the month, and the store will be filled with goverment fattened diabetics. However the one place you won't find them is in the fresh produce department. That part of Walmart stays remarkably free of such.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:40 AM

9,400 posts, read 4,517,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hate to call you out BUT

You got a promotional deal last year and what you DIDN'T do is read the fine print that says they would automatically renew. It's always been there, always be there and the fact you didn't read the fine print is on you.

And they gave it back to you -- nothing 'crook' about that.
Sorry, but according to their own rules, they say they will give a three day notice before they renew and they did not. The person on the phone even admitted they should not have taken it. And last year they charged it to my Amazon account, this time they took it out of my bank account. They had NO authorization to touch my bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies