Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:11 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Again why do EPT recipients need fresh veggies delivered to their door. Were there multitudes of EPT precipitants starving because they couldn't get fresh veggies at the local market?

I would like fresh veggies delivered to my door too. Sometimes it is difficult to get to the market , because I work so much but I cant afford that service because I have to pay for my food so I have to sometimes use caned or frozen vegetables .
Look up the term food desert.

You should quit embarrassing yourself. It's clear you have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Btw, students and educators have been getting it free, for years.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:23 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
Bottom line: Long as I continue saving more money on shipping per year than the cost of the membership I will keep it. The streaming content is a bonus.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:23 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

You should quit embarrassing yourself. It's clear you have no idea what you are talking about.
I have.
Technically I'm in a food desert there many items I can not get within a 100 mile radius but that has nothing to do with why someone on EBT should get items delivered to their door because perhaps those items are not available at the market near their home. You did not address how harshly those have suffered thus far.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:33 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:

2mares just expressed her opinions. Just because you disagree with her, doesn't mean that she embarrassed herself. Gee

Old 06-08-2017, 10:33 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have.
Technically I'm in a food desert there many items I can not get within a 100 mile radius but that has nothing to do with why someone on EBT should get items delivered to their door because perhaps those items are not available at the market near their home. You did not address how harshly those have suffered thus far.
A food desert doesn't mean "there are many items you can't get within a 100 mile radius," it means that they have no access to fresh food because stores cannot survive or thrive in low income areas.

Many people have been suffering from that lack of access for years. That's one of the reasons so many low income people are overweight. The kind of grocery stores which are available are corner store/convenience type places that only sell prepackaged, highly processed foods, which are cheap, high in fat and salt, and generally unhealthy.

Low income people usually don't have transportation with which to get to places where there is fresh food available. I would suspect you don't fall into that category. You can most likely get into your car and drive to places where you can get fresh food. They cannot.

Which is why delivery of good, fresh, wholesome food is so important for people like that.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Amazon has tons of things that Walmart doesn't and many, many more choices when it comes to brands and prices. I'll keep Amazon.
Same here. We live 30 min from the closest city and Amazon has a much better selection on some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My Prime was $59 last year. This year they wanted $99. They took it without authorization from a bank account I had used to purchase stuff. I called and threatened to sue and they put the money back. I will never buy from those crooks again.
I've have Amazon prime for 7 years. They ALWAYS sent me an email a few days prior to charging.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,334 times
Why does it make people so mad when others are getting a discount? How is it hurting you? SMDH. Amazon has not said anything about increasing the cost so I am not giving up my free shipping and free streaming just because someone else is getting a $4 discount. I hate the fact that new customers are paying less for their cable and internet than I am paying for mine but, I'm not going to drop it. That's just silly IN MY OPINION.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
You do realize that Amazon delivers much, much more than just streaming music and TV shows, right? Check out Amazon Fresh. They deliver groceries to your door. People who live in food deserts, which are always low income areas, often don't have access to fresh produce. This would give them that access.

Oh, the horror!
Prime Fresh is an additional $14.99/month. Currently, Instacart is likely more available than Prime Fresh.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:51 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Do you also avoid business that offer military discount? Senior citizen discounts? Employee discounts? AAA discounts? Or, is it just unfair when the poor get a discount?

What are you not send your kids to a college that offers need based aid? I really want to see how far you're willing to go with this.
Well those categories generally are those that contribute/contributed in some way to the populous as a whole or individual company and seen as a benefit or reward for service. And hopefully college kids will in the near future be contributing. Whereas EPT precipitants are the receivers of others contributions and already being rewarded. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against helping the needy and those who need a leg up but to what end, how much should they be rewarded for doing less than others to help themselves or society as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Private businesses have their own right to set up their own rules (as long as they are legal)

If you don't want their services, well, don't sign up. It is really that simple.
Exactly. That's why folks are dropping their Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Btw, students and educators have been getting it free, for years.
Well, SOB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies