U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 AM

66,331 posts, read 30,216,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I like Amazon and have the Prime thing but I try and buy from Best Buy when I can or my local bookstores.
That's an important point, and I do the same. I'll ALWAYS buy from locals before I turn to Amazon. And our local Walmart is a last resort for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Bottom line: Long as I continue saving more money on shipping per year than the cost of the membership I will keep it. The streaming content is a bonus.
Same here.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:40 AM

1,806 posts, read 902,104 times
When I was in college I saved a lot of money by buying my books on Amazon versus the local bookstore. There's lots of stuff a poor person can buy from Amazon besides food and music.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:46 AM

21,801 posts, read 21,657,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's up to the private company. If a private company sees a need and they can profit from it...as long as I'm content in what I get for what I pay. It's fine with me.

The reality is few will really take advantage of it....it's a gesture -- a discount for a small sector of the market -- and it is in a test phase only.

If they can't get the customers to use the program it won't be extended.

I hope you all get as concerned when vouchers are introduced and the reality that many in the population won't.

So is this about poor people getting a discount and you don't like it. Really? wow.
You didnt answer my question.
I get it is up to the company. No one is debating that but sometimes a company's actions stirs a reaction from its customer base. Its great you are content, others may not be. Its a personal thing.

In a sense yes its about welfare recipient getting a discount (not poor people). I'd feel the same way if it were a discount for those earning 500K or more or as someone asked, Teachers. If a business values someones business more than mine based on their income level or other grouping then yes it irritates me.

Most Americans are all about equality and fair business practices and we can choose to or not to do business with those who we feel are not playing fair. No different than boycotting Chick-fil-a or Hobby Lobby or any other business when you dont agree with their practices. I'm aware others dont feel this way but to each their own.

Not really sure what vouchers? have to do with this.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
When I was in college I saved a lot of money by buying my books on Amazon versus the local bookstore. There's lots of stuff a poor person can buy from Amazon besides food and music.
Yep, and at such a small difference in the Prime annual fee, as a frequent Amazon buyer/downloader/streamer myself, I have no problem with those who are less able to pay getting a Prime membership discount of $60 per year, or whatever.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:49 AM

380 posts, read 121,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Amazon has tons of things that Walmart doesn't and many, many more choices when it comes to brands and prices. I'll keep Amazon.
This. Not to mention Amazon has better prices than pretty much anyone on things.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM

15,366 posts, read 5,692,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You can try to demonize all you want. I wasn't targeting those on welfare. It holds true for everyone. I personally cant afford certain foods I'd like or they are not available in my area therefore I do not buy them. I don't whine to others because I cant have them I make do with the next best thing. Actually I could, using up my food allotment and not paying my electric bill, but thats exactly what I'm getting at. You dont have it, you cant have it, don't whine poor poor me.

If you dont like the steak and lobster illustration then how about if I cant get fresh organic tomatoes then Ill have to make due with canned tomatoes, if I cant get fresh lemons, I'll have to make do with frozen lemonade.

Your right I don't feel those who are getting assistance should be entitled to that above and beyond what is affordable for those paying their own way. Its not that I give a flip what people on FS buy or eat (and you can look up all my post on this subject) but if working joe paying for his food has the same issue and working joe has to purchase alternative foods why is it you feel nonworking recipient jane is entitled to assistance to those foods?
You do know that the majority of people on food stamps are working, right? No, you probably are completely unaware of the working poor. Watch this video and then tell us all about how good they have it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTXmJ9-0Ic

It's shameful that someone who is fortunate enough to be able to survive without assistance is berating a private company for deciding to provide a small service to help those who are less fortunate than yourself. Is this any skin off your nose? Nope, you just hate the thought of the poor getting something to make their lives just a fraction easier.

But don't fret, their lives are still not as easy as yours. That should make you happy at least.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM

21,801 posts, read 21,657,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
And the main reason many people, myself included, have Prime is because I come out ahead on the free shipping. The other stuff is gravy. So if the poor can make a wise financial decision to save money by shopping on Amazon and maximize those savings by now getting free shipping through a discounted Prime offer, that seems like a very responsible thing for them to do.

Your obvious disdain of "these people" who are less fortunate than you is disgusting. What does it matter to you if Amazon decides to do this? It costs you nothing. Should Amazon discontinue their " Amazon Smile" program to make you happy too? After all that might help "these people" too.
Its not poor people, its food stamp/welfare recipients.
Why not just put Prime membership fees on a sliding scale if it is truely a concern for poor people or those on the lower income level. That way poor people can pay less and wealthier people can pay more. Thats fair isnt it.

I dont like discriminatory business practices. What is that to you.
My comments to a particular poster have nothing to do with "these people". My issue is with people who paint a picture that poor people on assistance are isolated and going to literally starve because they cant get to a market to get fresh food as opposed to getting canned or frozen food so they should be singularly accommodated.
People not on assistance have the same issues.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 978,057 times
I have zero problems with people on food stamps getting a discount. OP maybe you can trade lives with those people and decide which one you'd prefer to have: so poor that you need food stamps but you get a little Amazon Prime discount to ease the pain. OR....live a comfortable life such that you can afford a full priced Amazon Prime membership.

Hmmm which to choose.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 PM

9,898 posts, read 3,258,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I totally agree. If they want to lower the fees on food stamp items that's fine with me but the other items are not something that someone on government assistance needs to buy and if they want to buy then they are free to do so, from their own money.

However, if hey have money for luxury items then we can cut their assistance.

I have seen people on TV during for very expensive items and not paying a dime in rent as they are on section 8 but have sleep number bed, brand name purses and expensive jewelry they sue for.
bentle i think you are misundering this.

the discount is merely on the cost of PRIME membership. The items they buy will be priced using the same algorithms Amazon always use.

as to what people spend their benefits are, your stories are just stories , nonsense not based in reality. Most people on food stamps are not doing very well at all and the monies help feed kids. help keep them in a home etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies