Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 07:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times

Advertisements

Is it bad I find it funny that people are upset over a $2.26 (which is the difference between Amazon's $99 yearly fee vs what they are proposing for those on government assistance). Sorry but if I'm having to take advantage of government assistance, the last thing I have money for is Amazon. Sadly we do have those who do not have their priorities in place either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Note to customers: Prime members never get free shipping. Free shipping means something costs $0. Paying the Prime membership fee, be it $99 or $49, means the customer is still paying for shipping. Not only that, Amazon excludes a lot of items from its so called "free" shipping with Prime Pantry and Add-On Items. These are sneaky ways that the Prime member ends up paying extra for shipping.

And to add insult to injury, Amazon is usually not the least expensive on their pricing and also charges sales tax in the majority of states. And now they have lowered their free shipping requirement for even non Prime customers to a mere $25. I know, because I placed an order yesterday for $26 and got free shipping, although free shipping for non Prime customers is very slow. Is Amazon convenient? Sure. Does Amazon have great customer service? Absolutely? Is Amazon Prime a great value? Many times, it's not.
Free shipping without prime requires a $35 purchase, the only exception is an order only containing books in which case they will ship free if the total is $25 or more. I don't care where you buy stuff online, Amazon, Ebay, Walmart someone has to bear the cost of the shipping, so in a sense you are right the price reflects the shipping cost, but so do items at Walmart and every other online retailer. I know that because I compare prices between Ebay, Walmart, Amazon and Jet. I also know for a fact that if I use Walmart's free shipping I might very well wait a week or 10 days for my item to be delivered, but with Amazon prime I can usually get the same item at about the same price in two days.

And I have paid tax on stuff I order from Walmart too, the exception to no sales tax is usually Ebay where I'm usually only charged tax if the item originates in the state I live in (California) There's nothing sneaky or underhanded about Amazon they do a good job...so if you don't like them just don't shop there but there's no need to claim things that just aren't true.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times
As if the middle class needs another slap in the face. We don't have that much money, we're overworked, and yet we still have to pay full price for everything. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Free shipping without prime requires a $35 purchase, the only exception is an order only containing books in which case they will ship free if the total is $25 or more.
Amazon lowered free shipping from $35 to $25 within the past month, even for orders without books.

Those that think CNN is fake news shouldn't read this link
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/08/pf/a...hip/index.html

Old 06-08-2017, 08:34 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Not sure if it's mentioned in this thread - but they can sign up for just one month, as they need/want it, don't have to commit to 12 months.

This is a good move, a crack that could open up lower membership fees, and month-to-month payments to all.
Walmart, Amazon et al are in a fight & race to get online goods to customers faster and cheaper. All will benefit in this fight for market share.
Month-to-month is already open to all. Full fare month-to-month is $10.99, as opposed to the SNAP eligible rate of $5.99 month-to-month.

True, they can sign up just one month but they can only qualify every 12 months, up to four times.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
It's almost as if...some people are so selfish that they cannot accept the idea of someone less fortunate, even the desperately poor, no especially the desperately poor, receiving even the slightest benefit over them. ...Almost...
Ironically, I bet they'd be okay with very wealthy customers getting Prime for free. Then, it would just be Amazon trying to reach the high dollar customers and no big deal to these people.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Private company offers discount to poor people. Who'd gripe about that?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:19 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Ironically, I bet they'd be okay with very wealthy customers getting Prime for free.
Ummm NO. I wouldn't be ok with that.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
To those that legitimately in need of assistance I have no problems with this. To the people that are taking advantage of the system... yeah, call me a snowflake or not but I do have a problem with it , as anyone with common sense would.

For instance, on the news yesterday morning the woman and her daughter were on. I forgot exactly why the little girl needed medical treatment, but they were basically pleading her case on the news and had a go fund me account set up. Now they were doing this all while leaning on the front grille of their 2016 or 17 Cadillac Escalade. Last time I looked one of those up, they started at around $75k. So , can't afford insurance but you roll in a $75k car ...sorry. You get nothing from me.
I've watched WIC customers come in and buy baby formula and other expensive items, then the same people come back the next day and return the item without a receipt (which this particular store you can do) and then use the money to buy beer and cigarettes.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do they need reduced prime rates to order food from amazon. You can order without having prime so they still have that access.
Funny, local churches will often do this for people in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies