Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The optimism on this thread is admirable.

Comey just tagged Trump a liar and not a single Senator objected.

This can't be good.

Not a single GOP senator to put a finer point on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:06 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Agreed Clinton will likely not be President even if collusion proven.
It won't happen period. Clinton isn't going to be president regardless of what happens in the investigation and that's a good thing (and I voted for her). There's a large contingent of Americans who support the president blindly. The folks who would still support him if he "shot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue." There are plenty of them in this thread. If somehow (however unlikely), Trump is removed from office, and Clinton replaces him (a fantasy- but I'm entertaining it for the purposes of this threat), you will have fixed nothing as far as the nation's discontent goes. In fact, you've made it worse. Much of Trump's base feels that Trump is an outsider in a corrupt "swamp" hellbent on maintaining the status quo. Ousting Trump without extremely good cause (i.e. literally shooting someone on 5th Ave) would reinforce those feelings. Replacing him with Hillary- the one person they consider to be the face of the swamp- would start an uprising. Barring undeniable, irrefutable evidence that Trump colluded with Russia and the nation is at risk, you don't remove him from office.

Quote:
Trump won't ever be impeached by GOP Congressmen no matter what he does.
Most likely not. But if more evidence comes to light, it's possible. Especially if Trumps approval ratings continue to drop and his disapproval ratings continue to rise. GOP Congressmen are going to do what they think is most beneficial to their chances at retaining their seats. As of right now, they're not going to do it. But if anything else comes to light, or his favor with their constituents continues to slide, that might change. My guess is that you won't see any shift until races start to take shape for 2018. They'll do what plays best with their base and helps their changes at winning. As of right now, I don't think that's impeachment.

Quote:
Russian investigation very much alive.
Absolutely. All of the investigation is still very much alive. Declaring vindication and victory is the biggest "head in the sand" moment I've seen from Trump's supporters yet. No, Comey didn't "crush" Trump either (and nobody with half a brain thought he would), but he laid a very solid foundation for an obstruction case in the long game- even going so far as to insinuate intent (which is further than I expected him to go). He built the argument that his firing was in response to his unwillingness to show loyalty to Trump or let Flynn go. That's a pretty strong stance from a guy who is fully aware of the consequences of lying under oath. What's more is that he also used Trump's own statements and words to discredit the president. Trumps threat about the tapes is now in a tough spot. Either the tapes exist and they validate what Comey claimed (because if they don't he lied under oath), or they don't exist and Comey called the president's bluff. Neither of those look good for POTUS. He also added more weight to rumors that Trump's relationship with his staff is rocky (particularly with his comments re: Sessions). So no, there was no smoking gun, it wasn't the last nail in the coffin for the president, but it certainly wasn't vindication for the President or his administration by a long shot.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So the NYTimes has a couple articles by women who have likened Comey's experience with Trump to sexual harassment of women by a boss. SMH and I am a woman. Please. Comey is calculated in everything he does and it is all about him. We can thank him for his service to the US but not be naive of his actions politically. His aw shucks ma'am thing is too much.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/o...pgtype=article

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/o...-in-chief.html
Why that is exactly what people say about women being harassed in the workplace. Thanks for drawing the parallel.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Default Mark Levin's take on Comey's testimony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzzHW6UW5KE

Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't agree. Here you have a unique situation where a President is elected and the first thing on many peoples' minds is to investigate anything that moves near him. So instead of a celebratory period he's facing war from the start. Both investigations and smashing of store windows in the capital.

Is it his fault that his opponents don't accept the election results?
Yes because he publicly asked someone to hack into Hillary's e-mails and then on top of that, said that HE wouldn't accept the election results, unless HE won. #Karma

Old 06-09-2017, 08:16 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
He absolutely was, while Comey raised more questions about himself. I do not think he was being honest.
This isn't surprising since you've come out blindly in support of Trump in multiple threads already. It also completely ignores the gravity of the conditions under which Comey testified. He's a lawyer and has served as the Deputy AG (under Bush). To say he has a deep understanding of the law would be an understatement. So to make the claims he did, under oath, after the president has publicly stated, "Comey better hope there are no tapes!" is very significant. Because if Comey lied, he's guilty of a serious crime. And if he lied and Trump has the tapes, it will be easy to prove. So Comey is either fully OK with Trump releasing tapes of their conversations (and he said "Lordy, I hope there are tapes.") because they'll validate his claims, or he knows there are no tapes and he's calling the president's bluff. Neither of those things look good for the Commander and Chief, and unless your head is in the sand, that means something.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
I have no choice but to laugh my azzz off when the libs and liberal media thought they had a smoking gun that was finally going to nail Trump, yet its them who are in damage control!

And Comey, the self admitted "weak coward" managed to make himself look worse than Trump!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Why that is exactly what people say about women being harassed in the workplace. Thanks for drawing the parallel.
I don't say that. And if you think he is not then you are naive.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 AM

348 posts, read 255,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
He absolutely was, while Comey raised more questions about himself. I do not think he was being honest.
Trump handled the Comey firing so badly by publicly humiliating him and making comments about Comey to the media. Trump was using one excuse after another as to why he fired him and made the entire situation more hostile than it needed to be. Comey was out to polish and cleanup his reputation and make sure everyone knew the inner workings of his relationship with Trump.

When you fire someone especially with 30 years of experience you handle it with respect and dignity. As a boss you keep your mouth shut and do not spout off to other people why the person is gone.

I see both Comey and Trump incorporating unnecessary drama in order to make the other one look worse.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I don't say that. And if you think he is not then you are naive.
I know you did not say it. It never occurred to you. I said that it is what others say in those circumstances about women. A way of attacking the aggrieved. Not a position I respect. You are not saying that women in the workplace are not men's equals are you. Is it fair to use that strategy on anyone?

And you allowed me to draw the parallel. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies