Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I did a google map search on the coordinates given in the document. They were much closer to the Sinai coast than I ever imagined that they would be. I urge every one to look at coordinates 31.23 North by 33.25 East. It's sort of being in the Argonne in the battle of the Bulge.
Which placed them within 4268 ft off of Egypt (an Atoll), 1.78 mi away from a inlet into the Bardawil lake and then 10 miles to the coast of Egypt itself. They were not in international waters. As I said earlier they were not where they were supposed to be. As I've stated numerous times, Israel took full accountability for it and settled all claims quickly.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, but I'm still waiting on the PLO or even Lebanon to step up to the plate and accept responsibility for what happened in 1983. I've worked in the Middle East as a civilian contractor for decades and doubt there will ever be a Arab country that would take responsibility for what they've done. It's just too easy for them to blame some small extremist group and the US let's them do it w/o stating or doing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 03:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is the US, in the world of politics there is no such thing as a robust and transparent investigation. There is no open book to anything that goes back hundreds of years as there are still things that are redacted.
Which is why you should listen to the survivors of the attack the actual ones who were there and not YOU.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Which is why you should listen to the survivors of the attack the actual ones who were there and not YOU.
This is where your wrong. Any one of us who've been in a horrific military situation has been in each others shoes. I was there as they were with at the barracks bombing in Lebanon. It is YOU who wasn't there.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The survivors have been heard, many times over many years. None of the conspiracies you have mentioned are new- they've been around ever since the event.

And the Liberty attack has not been forgotten. Every year, just like 9/11, it surfaces once again, with the same stuff brought up, time after time.

No one is arguing here that the survivors never received their just deserts. The cover-up happened, and it's never been officially denied by all the following administrations since than it didn't happen. No President has ever denied any of the conspiracies, nor has confirmed them.

It's just been ignored. And it will stay ignored now for the rest of our lives, just like the bad treatment a lot of our military received during and after the Vietnam war. After a half century, if there was ever going to be redress by the Government, it would have already been done long ago.

It's a bitter pill. Like I said, some of the survivors are never going to lose their resentment over it, but some have let it go, and others just took what they got and let it go back then.

What never does go away, and is always covered up, are old secrets. I was nervous when I exposed as many as I did, even 50 years later, with the full knowledge that everything I wrote was completely obsolete and just history now, and knowing none of the ships I mention still exist.

That's the way it is with other incidents of that time. There are plane wrecks where the planes should not have been, boats lying in the bottom of rivers that were never officially there, and dead men in places they never officially died in all over the world. The government has never recognized or cleared up hundreds of incidents like the Liberty event.

Vietnam left the nation with wounds that have never healed and never will. I think those wounds have, in part, been a cause for our current divisions within our society today.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
It was what is what was. This is not the time for your BS rhetoric of stoking a resolved situation. Israel accepted responsibility and that's all that matters. Yet as I've stated earlier in this thread, where is the same accountability held against Japan for what they did on December 7, 1941?
Back the eff up homie!

A foreign nation intentionally attacked a ship that belongs to MY nation and men died. If you don't like my rhetorical language, then ignore it. "The time" for my rhetoric is whenever the hell I feel like spewing it, and the likes of YOU will not be taken into account when I do so. My allegiance is to one nation and one nation only. I don't criticize you for your divided loyalties (in fact, I've defended it more than once), so put a sock in your piehole when I express my opinion about MY loyalties.

Moreover, I'm well aware that Israel accepted responsibility, but so what? Did that bring back those dead men who had no reason to believe that they'd be attacked by a so-called ally? If I shoot a member of your family, is it ok if I accept responsibility for it? Does that make it all better? I don't care if Israel claimed culpability, nor do I care that they paid out millions of dollars. They got off cheap regardless. A hell of a lot cheaper than other nations have gotten off after attacking an American asset.

So it's awfully silly (and ironic) of you to mention Japan. You've got a lotta damn nerve to say that. You're a smart guy (really smart), so I can't believe that you can be THAT oblivious to how stupid it is to bring up Japan! That's an insut, really.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:52 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Back the eff up homie!

A foreign nation intentionally attacked a ship that belongs to MY nation and men died. If you don't like my rhetorical language, then ignore it. "The time" for my rhetoric is whenever the hell I feel like spewing it, and the likes of YOU will not be taken into account when I do so. My allegiance is to one nation and one nation only. I don't criticize you for your divided loyalties (in fact, I've defended it more than once), so put a sock in your piehole when I express my opinion about MY loyalties.

Moreover, I'm well aware that Israel accepted responsibility, but so what? Did that bring back those dead men who had no reason to believe that they'd be attacked by a so-called ally? If I shoot a member of your family, is it ok if I accept responsibility for it? Does that make it all better? I don't care if Israel claimed culpability, nor do I care that they paid out millions of dollars. They got off cheap regardless. A hell of a lot cheaper than other nations have gotten off after attacking an American asset.

So it's awfully silly (and ironic) of you to mention Japan. You've got a lotta damn nerve to say that. You're a smart guy (really smart), so I can't believe that you can be THAT oblivious to how stupid it is to bring up Japan! That's an insut, really.
Israel did what it could. Did they do us wrong? Yes. No question.

Was it enough? No.

But then, reparation is never enough. Regret is never enough. Admitting a mistake is never enough either. Nor is repentance, a promise to never do it again.

If it was, there would be a million executed murderers who would have never died in payment for their crimes. Ain't nothing that can bring back an innocent dead man to life.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Israel did what it could. Did they do us wrong? Yes. No question.

Was it enough? No.

But then, reparation is never enough. Regret is never enough. Admitting a mistake is never enough either. Nor is repentance, a promise to never do it again.

If it was, there would be a million executed murderers who would have never died in payment for their crimes. Ain't nothing that can bring back an innocent dead man to life.
Absolutely.

And I'm not angry at Israel. I understand how the world of geopolitics goes. If anything, I'm far more angry that we put ourselves in that position. We shouldn't have been meddling in Middle Eastern affairs anyway.

But I won't be told by an Israeli-American that if I'm mad, then I should scratch my ass and get glad. Eff that!! Who the hell is he to tell me to watch my rhetoric? Please. And I've defended his positions several times and I've never said anything even remotely anti Jewish.

And for him to mention Japan is so fricken insulting that maybe for the first time on CD, I'm actually insulted by a comment. What the hell was my grandfather getting his ass shot off for in the South Pacific if Japan's attack wasn't avenged?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Absolutely.

And I'm not angry at Israel. I understand how the world of geopolitics goes. If anything, I'm far more angry that we put ourselves in that position. We shouldn't have been meddling in Middle Eastern affairs anyway.

But I won't be told by an Israeli-American that if I'm mad, then I should scratch my ass and get glad. Eff that!! Who the hell is he to tell me to watch my rhetoric? Please. And I've defended his positions several times and I've never said anything even remotely anti Jewish.

And for him to mention Japan is so fricken insulting that maybe for the first time on CD, I'm actually insulted by a comment. What the hell was my grandfather getting his ass shot off for in the South Pacific if Japan's attack wasn't avenged?
First, I am born in the US and do not have a Israeli passport. As to Japan, we bombed them to end a war that was already coming to an end. We killed over 130,000 civilians on the first two bomb drops which grew to around 230,000 by the time Japan surrendered a week later. It didn't avenge anything. It brought the death rates much higher compared to the 2400 we lost in Pearl Harbor. Did Japan pay to re-build us? No, we paid to rebuild them.

At least we agree on that the US should not have been there within 10 miles of Egypt's mainland (as stated by the NSA coordinates).

Old 06-11-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
First, I am born in the US and do not have a Israeli passport. As to Japan, we bombed them to end a war that was already coming to an end. We killed over 130,000 civilians on the first two bomb drops which grew to around 230,000 by the time Japan surrendered a week later. It didn't avenge anything. It brought the death rates much higher compared to the 2400 we lost in Pearl Harbor. Did Japan pay to re-build us? No, we paid to rebuild them.

At least we agree on that the US should not have been there within 10 miles of Egypt's mainland (as stated by the NSA coordinates).
The bottom line is that the United States took care of Japan after Pearl Harbor. Sure, we stupidly rebuilt Japan for our own selfish reasons, but we've given plenty to Israel too. And lord knows that no nation gets more American public support than Israel does. Half these people would actually DIE in order to keep Israel as a Middle Eastern ally. They're fools, but this is a free country, and that's their prerogative.

Again, I have the right to see the Israeli attack on the Liberty any way that I want to, and I see it as deliberate, intentional, and two faced.

And I'm sticking to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies