Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,873,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
What does it mean to me personally?? Well first off, the image wouldn't display but I'm assuming it's the standard confederate battle flag. It means nothing to me. I don't own one and never will. But I don't decry someone's right to own one if they should so choose. And really the confederate flag isn't so much a north vs. south thing. I've seen them plenty of times north of the old line.
I'd be more concerned about it north of "the old line." Unless it's being displayed by a transplant from the South, north of the line it's going to have nothing to do with pride in the general heritage of the region someone calls home. It's much more likely to be specifically intended to symbolize a particular idea. This could still be innocent enough. It might be meant to represent a free-spirited attitude of defiance against society's more restrictive rules, customs, and laws, but it could be meant to express other ideas that aren't so innocent.

In the South, though, well, it's no different from what you'd have if it were customary for people to display their state flags as symbols of pride in the places where they're from. In fact, most likely the only reason people don't display their state flags for this purpose is that state flags are not so well known, so too many people would miss the point.

Last edited by ogre; 03-10-2008 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM

148 posts, read 736,898 times
The first things that come to mind are the Civil War and Slavery.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,873,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yes Sir, what a power it can have..

Do a google search for "Hate Flag" and see what pops up. Thats pretty telling.
Very telling indeed. Tells a lot about the person who created the website with that picture.

BTW, I've seen people get knocked on these region-vs.-region flame wars for "not having the guts" to post info on where they're from. In my case, I've just never gotten around to doing a profile. Laziness, I guess. So . . . lived most of my life in MA, where I live now. Have family history in the South. As a young child lived three places before we moved to the Boston area, one in the South (VA), and lived in central OH as a young adult. Guess I've got a few perspectives on this.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,725,107 times
Southern Pride and Heritage

It wasn't the civil war, it was the war of Northern Aggression.
God Bless the South.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:17 PM

108 posts, read 350,183 times
the civil war and then i think of the Dukes of Hazard.

i am completely aware that groups find it offensive, but i don't find that it creates the same level of revulsion that the nazi flag elicits. I think that many associate it with slavery, but it is a part of the history of the United States.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 PM

510 posts, read 1,457,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

the civil war.. kinda a cop out don't you think?
Well, then you're not going to like my answer either.

1.) The Civil War.

2.) Dukes of Hazard

3.) I saw one once in Florida in somebody's window. I don't think I'd ever seen one in real life before.

Now, don't tell me I'm "copping out" that is nonsense. I'm from Detroit. I simply don't SEE them, so I don't really THINK about them. I provokes absolutely NO emotion in me whatsoever. None. Notta. Zilch.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,532,758 times
hmm the Civil War, the KKK and rednecks in pick ups. You asked and I replied as honestly as I could.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,742,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I'd be more concerned about it north of "the old line." Unless it's being displayed by a transplant from the South, north of the line it's going to have nothing to do with pride in the general heritage of the region someone calls home. It's much more likely to be specifically intended to symbolize a particular idea. This could still be innocent enough. It might be meant to represent a free-spirited attitude of defiance against society's more restrictive rules, customs, and laws, but it could be meant to express other ideas that aren't so innocent.

In the South, though, well, it's no different from what you'd have if it were customary for people to display their state flags as symbols of pride in the places where they're from. In fact, most likely the only reason people don't display their state flags for this purpose is that state flags are not so well known, so too many people would miss the point.
Go check out Southern PA sometime. Especially around Gettysburg. Drive the back roads some. It's all over the place. Far too many locations to be southern transplants. I don't really read anything sinister into it there, though I could be wrong.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,732,820 times
Hasn't this flag argument been trotted out in this forum several times? It is a remnant of a society which no longer exists. Why people persist in hanging on to something which symbolizes to an entire nation, the subjugation and enslavement of an entire race of people and then get their noses out of joint when people get upset, is beyond me. Yes, everyone knows that the Confederate flag symbolized something totally different to those who fought under it than what it has come to represent. But like the swastika, it has come to represent that which the majority of Americans find repugnant.

Archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates from the Neolithic period. An ancient symbol, it occurs mainly in the cultures that are in modern day India and the surrounding area, sometimes as a geometrical motif and sometimes as a religious symbol. It has long been widely used in major world religions such as Hinduism, Roman Catholicism, Buddhism and Jainism. But all it took was one madman to ensure that it would be forever remembered as a symbol of death and repression.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,181,183 times
Ah, the Flag of the Confederate States of America. Proudly flying.

A proud group of patriots flew, and fly, that flag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies