Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:52 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
See? You spend enough time around people who are extreme with the PC language policing and you wind up wanting to toss it all out the window.

I have zero doubt that you are courteous and respectful to people, Chow.

Knowing how it is where you live, I'm sort of not surprised that it could get tiring, though.

I am generally quite flexible, but I have limits and I really am tired of extremist behavior lately, so I get it.
I sometimes offend people but usually under the guise of trying to be funny. I'm a decengt guy and don't try to knowingly try to offend people.

Being respectful to one has nothing to do with PC in my opinion. Good deceny and basic manners will never go out of style as far as I'm concerned.

I got into it a while back with some people regarding gender fluidity and gender pronoun usage. I was basically saying that people are going to call you by whatever pronoun you happened to look like. It was a lot of stuff to the convo but people were bending over backwards to be PC about it.

My stance was until I know otherwise if you look like a he I'm going to address you as a "he" if you indicate that you don't like that I will change my wording to reflect that.

That sounds reasonable, right??? Nope, the PC brigade come down my throat for not being more sensitive about it and how hard they're lives must be. I'm like... I can't read minds here people. All I can do is go by what my eyeballs tell me until you make me informed otherwise.

Seems like a fair way to deal, wouldn't we say???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Doesn't matter. Anyone in our country without authorization is an illegal alien not an unauthorized or undocumented anything. A rapist is still a rapist, a thief is still a thief and a murderer is still a murderer if they committed those crimes and it matters not if they have not yet been convicted of them. You're grasping at straws here. Shall we call bank robbers "unauthorized withdrawers" to be PC now?
Nope. They're all "innocent, until proven guilty." One can refer to alleged "bank robbers" as "unauthorized withdrawers" if they wish, but it doesn't change the underlying fact that they haven't been convicted. And, with a good defense attorney, one can be as "guilty as sin" and still walk free if the prosecution fails to prove its case.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:06 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Nope. They're all "innocent, until proven guilty." One can refer to alleged "bank robbers" as "unauthorized withdrawers" if they wish, but it doesn't change the underlying fact that they haven't been convicted. And, with a good defense attorney, one can be as "guilty as sin" and still walk free if the prosecution fails to prove its case.

Right, a guy "actually" killed his wife intentionally but he's not a murderer because he's not in court yet. Got it!

Old 06-10-2017, 06:18 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think the question is too broad. I think there's a distinction to be made between situations where there's an effort not to hurt feelings or cause pain, and situations where there's a propagandistic agenda (like "climate change").
Don't forget the gender bending crowd. Those are the ones it's really easy to offend without realizing it. They keep adding on, and there are certain rules to follow. It's easy to wander into uncharted territory and step on a pc mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93NCyV5Hws

Better study up!

Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM

817 posts, read 752,528 times
Geez. People with thin skin make me smdh. Man up. Or woman up. Trans up. Whatever the heck. Better fight for yo 'ish, cuz I sho damn will

Old 06-10-2017, 06:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I sometimes offend people but usually under the guise of trying to be funny. I'm a decengt guy and don't try to knowingly try to offend people.

Being respectful to one has nothing to do with PC in my opinion. Good deceny and basic manners will never go out of style as far as I'm concerned.

I got into it a while back with some people regarding gender fluidity and gender pronoun usage. I was basically saying that people are going to call you by whatever pronoun you happened to look like. It was a lot of stuff to the convo but people were bending over backwards to be PC about it.

My stance was until I know otherwise if you look like a he I'm going to address you as a "he" if you indicate that you don't like that I will change my wording to reflect that.

That sounds reasonable, right??? Nope, the PC brigade come down my throat for not being more sensitive about it and how hard they're lives must be. I'm like... I can't read minds here people. All I can do is go by what my eyeballs tell me until you make me informed otherwise.

Seems like a fair way to deal, wouldn't we say???
Yeah. They were being unreasonable.

I hate crap like that. It alienates people.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:46 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Anti-PC people are all about telling it like it is until you call them what they are: racists, sexists, homophobes, edit. Then they become sensitive snowflakes.

When you say you hate political correctness, which you really saying is you want to speak or behave like a bigot without consequence.
^ this

The OP is part of a group of posters I refer to as "the usuals" ... they regularly make charged, inflammatory, bigoted, or intolerant comments about Muslims, racial/ethnic minorities, and LGBT people. They are the classic "Alt-Right" neo-fascists. They hate PC because they can't be an open bigot without being called out for their bigotry. Yet if you call them what they are they whine louder than any supposed liberal snowflake.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:12 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Your question wasn't directed at me, but I would like to answer. I remember when male and female employees could have a sense of humor. When every interaction didn't have to be fraught with fear of offending, especially, woman. Yea, much of the jokes were off color, but the kidding and freedom made for a collegial atmosphere. When I left the workplace, the PC rules made working much less enjoyable and......fun.

Maybe not so much for the women.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:24 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Your own link disagrees with you...

Where does your link say anything about "unauthorized migrant"?
Does 8 U.S.C. § 1325 have the term "illegal alien" in it?

Both "illegal alien" and "undocumented immigrant" have their shortcomings. The former tends to ignore the principle of "innocent, until proven guilty," while the latter is just plain inaccurate. Some conservative folks are fine with "unauthorized alien," which is found throughout 8 U.S.C. § 1324a. And, some PC folks have taken to using the term "unauthorized immigrant," which is an improvement over "undocumented immigrant." Unfortunately, "alien" and "immigrant" don't necessarily reflect the fact that folks who are "unlawfully present" in the United States are only here until they’re deported. However, "migrant" accurately reflects this transience. Hence, we get the term "unauthorized migrant," which passes muster as being "conservatively correct." Moreover, it's great fun watching some PC folks mindlessly use "unauthorized migrant" and "unauthorized immigrant" interchangeably without realizing the distinction.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:44 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
like when 'people of color' is fine and dandy, but 'colored people' produces paroxysms of rage and ear-splitting shrieks of 'racist!!!'
No one even says "colored people" in 2017.

You must be frozen in time immemorial if you still say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies