Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:11 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,556,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
He "promised" to replace and repeal Obamacare on day 1 (one) and he promised to build a wall and Mexico would pay for it.
Yeah, he didn't get repeal and replace done on day one.

On the wall :

It turned out he is getting the wall done. In fact it turns our he is the wall that has reduced illegals crossing over 50% and it started before day one. Mexico is paying for it also in loss of remittances that they would be sending back had they come in and found jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:24 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,908,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just WHAT is this BIG difference you allege between politicians who are " quite content with the swamp conditions and want to protect their status and income" and politicians who "will defend their own no matter what unsavory and unethical garbage is exposed regarding their colleagues"? Seems pretty much what you've described is they're all pretty happy with themselves no matter what skulduggery they've been up to.
My point was, Repubicans are quick to criticize President Trump, won't stand up for him, and distance themselves over any perceived "gaffe". Case in point.....the day after Rubio questioned why Comey leaked everything EXCEPT the fact that Trump wasn't under investigation, he made a big point of saying he was not defending Trump. Why wouldn't a Republican stand up in support of his President? Geez, that's half the reason a lot of these slimey politicians were re-elected - was to give Trump the most Republican support he could get so his agenda could be implemented. They think they won because of their own (un) accomplishments. Pathetic.

Yet, Maxine Waters can bleat out the most off the wall, looney accusations and all Democrats are in lock step with her and won't utter a word of condemnation. Gillibrand makes an expletive filled speech and not a peep from the ones who were "shocked to their core" when Trump used the p word. Such hypocrisy!

Frankly, the whole political world is sickens me. I can only hope Trump can pierce through the wall of obstruction and rise above the agenda to destroy him and make some lasting changes.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,737,264 times
There is a much more important question than if the GOP will stand with Trump. That question is, will the GOP have the strength, integrity, and duty to America to NOT stand with him, if it comes out that he is either a) Very inept and dangerous, or, b) corrupt and was attempting to derail the investigation ?

Normally, the GOP (and the Democrats too) put their heads in the sand and put party over the public. But I am seeing a shift away from that somewhat. I was very encouraged that the GOP Senators seemed very interested in getting the real answers from Comey, as opposed to trying to discredit him. Yes, a few did put on their GOP blinders, but most were very good about the way they handled it.

Even Paul Ryan is beginning to bend a little in his blind devotion to Trump, saying things like "He does not know how things like the FBI, CIA, and Government work." That is a Yuge change from someone who was kissing Trumps butt a few weeks ago. I think there is hope.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,737,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My point was, Repubicans are quick to criticize President Trump, won't stand up for him, and distance themselves over any perceived "gaffe". Case in point.....the day after Rubio questioned why Comey leaked everything EXCEPT the fact that Trump wasn't under investigation, he made a big point of saying he was not defending Trump. Why wouldn't a Republican stand up in support of his President? Geez, that's half the reason a lot of these slimey politicians were re-elected - was to give Trump the most Republican support he could get so his agenda could be implemented. They think they won because of their own (un) accomplishments. Pathetic.

Yet, Maxine Waters can bleat out the most off the wall, looney accusations and all Democrats are in lock step with her and won't utter a word of condemnation. Gillibrand makes an expletive filled speech and not a peep from the ones who were "shocked to their core" when Trump used the p word. Such hypocrisy!

Frankly, the whole political world is sickens me. I can only hope Trump can pierce through the wall of obstruction and rise above the agenda to destroy him and make some lasting changes.

What !!!!!!! What !!!!!!!!!! Why WOULD a Republican stand up for his President IF he, in his heart, feels Trump was wrong ? Do you actually want them to lie and turn a blind eye if they see something that is counter to what is good for America ?

(Don't answer, I think we already know the answer..........yes, you would.)

Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,213,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The people voted and chose their emperor and they don't care if he is butt naked as long as he does what he promised to do. So far they have no reason to be disappointed. The economy is starting to surge and that is where their interest is.
So you're not a constitutionalist? Correct?

I mean, voting in an emperor may be democratic, but it's not constitutional. And if you aren't a constitutionalist, that's fine. I'm not opposed. Well, I should say you're allowed not to be. But if you claim to be, you cannot support what you just said. It's not possible.

The constitution and the ideas that crafted it would never allow for a president to "fix" everything. It's not his job, at least not alone. There is a separation of powers for a reason. Suggesting that he's the emperor fixing all problems shows you don't what a separation of powers. And if you do claim to be a constitutionalist, my guess is that you're the sort of constitutionalist who just wants to shoot gay people for being gay too close to your property. The kind that things Amendment 1 and 2 of the Bill of Right is the constitution but doesn't know what Article 2 is even referencing.

Maybe I'm wrong. Though if that's the case, I think we'd both be.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,556,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
So you're not a constitutionalist? Correct?

I mean, voting in an emperor may be democratic, but it's not constitutional. And if you aren't a constitutionalist, that's fine. I'm not opposed. Well, I should say you're allowed not to be. But if you claim to be, you cannot support what you just said. It's not possible.

The constitution and the ideas that crafted it would never allow for a president to "fix" everything. It's not his job, at least not alone. There is a separation of powers for a reason. Suggesting that he's the emperor fixing all problems shows you don't what a separation of powers. And if you do claim to be a constitutionalist, my guess is that you're the sort of constitutionalist who just wants to shoot gay people for being gay too close to your property. The kind that things Amendment 1 and 2 of the Bill of Right is the constitution but doesn't know what Article 2 is even referencing.

Maybe I'm wrong. Though if that's the case, I think we'd both be.
The main thing you are wrong about is taking things out of context. The poster I was responding to chose to refer to the POTUS as emperor and I stuck with his context.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:15 AM

716 posts, read 391,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
That is why the moment it becomes politically advantageous to ditch him, they will. They loathe him as much as the vast majority of the world does, and will have absolutely no loyalty to him when the balance tips. I look forward to that day.
I would look forward to that day too, but it will never come. Given how the Republicans have gerrymandered their districts, as long as his base of apologists continues to apologize for him, it doesn't matter how large a majority of Americans or the world grows to loathe him.

And it's obvious to me that at this point, if his base has no problem with his ignoring the Russian attack on our election, if they have no problem with his possible collusion with Russia (or have no interest in finding out), if they have no problem with his possible obstruction of justice (or have no interest in finding out), if they have no problem with his well documented 'the biggest crowd ever', inability to tell the truth, they're not going to admit that our emperor has no clothes. Ever. Period, end of story...

Old 06-10-2017, 11:28 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,269,374 times
Does the right think that Jeb or McCain or Romney would get this reaction from the left?

Wake up folks, its not the right or the GOP winning, it is the turd named Trump winning. Nobody is turning over cars to protest a decent guy like McCain or Romney. Get real. What is being protested is a narcissist jackass who thinks the normal rules of society dont apply to him being elected.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 AM

21,431 posts, read 7,396,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich ask the question and states America is on a knife's edge.

Gingrich: America is on a knife's edge. Will Republicans have the guts to stand with Trump? | Fox News

Gingrich makes the point :
Robert Mueller’s so-called independent investigation is delegitimize as Comey reveals it as poisoned fruit. Comey's action put his friend Mueller in a position of power. It looks like the fix is in once again.

I have never understood why it would be reasonable to think that Muller and Comey's relationship would not be a reason for Mueller to turn down the offer to be an "Independent Counsel".
So many Senators on record phrasing Comey for his integrity and honesty now is seen as such bad judge on their part. They are now using that same bad judgement, in the same way, to phrase Mueller. Maybe Mueller will surprise us but he shouldn't be in that position in the first place. Nowhere can Mueller's involvement be view as 'Independent" or unbiased.

Republican politicians as a whole have proven to be a spineless bunch and some are never Trump. So far not many of them stepping in to support their party leader. Many like the swamp and don't want it to be drained.
My question to Republicans is this:

Do you have the guts to stand up to Donald Trump?

Some do, I know, but it doesn't seem like very many.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:37 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,078,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And WHAT indication has there been that the swamp is being drained?
Maybe Trump filling 13 of his 16 cabinet positions with fellow billionaires?

/sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies