Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Seems the Communist Democrats want a law for every aspect of your life, from cradle to grave. Bye-Bye Liberty

While we have see Trump push to drop all the laws and regulations that stifle production and prosperity.
Perfect example used by Trump: The Empire State Building was built in less than 1 year. Today, that project would be tied in years of red tape, before any ground is broken and once the first grain of dirt or sand is moved, take years to complete.

Communism and Islam = control and enslavement
Constitution = Freedom & Liberties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:22 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Seems the Communist Democrats want a law for every aspect of your life, from cradle to grave. Bye-Bye Liberty

While we have see Trump push to drop all the laws and regulations that stifle production and prosperity.
Perfect example used by Trump: The Empire State Building was built in less than 1 year. Today, that project would be tied in years of red tape, before any ground is broken and once the first grain of dirt or sand is moved, take years to complete.

Seems conservatives want a hand up to the elites.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:

Call me a commie, but I really like knowing that there are laws to protect the environment, drinking water, medications, and food.

I know, that's really terrible of me and I must just like for "the man" to oppress me and curtail my freedom, but there you have it.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:29 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
You and Trump both conveniently ignore that the ESB was built during the Depression, when people where desperate for work. Then you also ignore that a lot of the laws and regulations exist because corporations, left to their own devices, tend to veer toward criminal negligence. Trump himself does everything possible in his own life to avoid legal and ethical obligations - such as refusing to pay workers, discriminating against black tenants, etc.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,835,330 times
Quote:

Perfect example used by Trump: The Empire State Building was built in less than 1 yearToday, that project would be tied in years of red tape, before any ground is broken and once the first grain of dirt or sand is moved, take years to complete.

Less than a year? No, that's incorrect, it took longer than a year, about 13 months or so (over a year).

Old 06-10-2017, 05:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Call me a commie, but I really like knowing that there are laws to protect the environment, drinking water, medications, and food.

I know, that's really terrible of me and I must just like for "the man" to oppress me and curtail my freedom, but there you have it.

Is that because you cannot protect yourself?

Old 06-10-2017, 06:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:

Republicans are no better with creating laws upon laws. They just do that on the state side and the beltway says "Well it is the state's right to deny blacks to vote, gays to marry same-sex partners, deny consensual sodomy, transsexuals to use their bathrooms, women to have abortions and forced to carry rape pregnancies to terms, etc. These are still infringements on freedom and liberties.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Republicans are no better with creating laws upon laws. They just do that on the state side and the beltway says "Well it is the state's right to deny blacks to vote, gays to marry same-sex partners, deny consensual sodomy, transsexuals to use their bathrooms, women to have abortions and forced to carry rape pregnancies to terms, etc. These are still infringements on freedom and liberties.
Exactly.

Republicans are the biggest authoritarians around. At least when Democrats engage in a bit of authoritarianism, it usually has some overall societal goal in mind (like controlling medical spending). Republicans pass authoritarian legislation primarily because they hate minorities. They pass legislation to make it harder to exercise one's rights because they know that in a country with free, fair elections where everyone is able to participate fully, they don't stand a chance. It's all about protecting their own power by stepping on groups they don't like.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:30 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:

The very fact that you think Democrats are communists proves you have zero clue about what communism is. So I'll tell you. Communism (actual, not name-calling) means government ownership of all wealth-producing entities (factories, fisheries, mines, farmland, residences, or any item that people in capitalist societies can invest in). If the government allows private ownership of wealth-creating entities, then it's not communism. End of story. I mean, this is basic stuff. Stuff you're supposed to learn in any 9th grade Civics class - or at latest, freshman level Political Science.

For the Empire State Building, give us some specific laws and regulations keeping such a project tied up today. Which laws would keep an Empire State Building of today tied up in red tape. Can you think of examples from the construction of Freedom Tower? Oh, btw, keep in mind that we have more advanced standards for worker and workplace safety today than we did back in the 1930s. There's also a timing issue "build within a year". A year from the groundbreaking? A year from when the government agencies (fed, state and local) approved the project? From when the architect finished the final draft of the ESB?

At any rate, worker safety is always a concern. If there's a reasonable way to keep workers safe, then the government should force companies to take steps to protect the workers. In any case, this is not the 1930s. America has not nearly as much open land now as it did back then.

Why bring Islam into this at all? Christianity has a history of stifling personal freedom every bit as much as Islam does. Read up on the Puritan colony beyond what you got taught pre-college. Massachusetts sure wasn't the land of the free back in those days. Restrictions on alcohol, prostitution, etc? Sounds like the influence of Fundamentalist Christianity to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
Is that because you cannot protect yourself?
How can you protect yourself from stuff you are unaware exists? Can humans taste lead, PCB, and other pollutants? Can you taste dangerous pathogens in your milk, fruits, vegetables, meats, or other food in general? Hitting rewind 35 to 40 years - Love Canal (neighborhood near Buffalo) and Times Beach, MO (near St Louis). The soil there had (and probably still has) gargantuan levels of toxins. How the hell are we supposed to protect ourselves from that?

Old 06-10-2017, 06:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

red, i agree with you to a point. we need to balance the laws and regulations we create between what is good for the environment and what is good for man.

but there does come a point where law and regulations become excessive and burdensome for everyone, and those are the laws and regulations that need to be removed, not every law or regulation on the books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies