Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knowing what you know now, would you have served, if called?
Yes 39 45.88%
No 37 43.53%
I am not sure. 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
My point IS.....others did, what made him so special?

Hey, chuck...

Ali didn't ask for or receive special treatment.

He stood up for his principles and took the heat. He didn't run off to Canada. He lost his title, lost his livelihood for years and gave up the prime of his boxing career. He risked prison time. He knew that if he reported for induction, he wouldn't be slogging through rice paddies in Nam. The Army would have used him as a recruiting tool and he wasn't going to have any part of it.

He didn't dodge the draft. He fought it. And the supreme court ultimately came down on his side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'll use this one as an example.

I hear people say that they won't fight for, say as an example, for oil.

One must realize that in the US, our high standard of living is based on oil which includes our ability to produce so much more food per acre than most of the rest of the world.

If we have to fight a war to maintain our energy sources, such as oil, I would love to be able to say, to decree, "You said you won't fight for oil and you didn't. So freeze! So starve!"

But in such a free country as the US, we can't do that to non participants, so I suppose we are just stuck with such deadbeats.

I do not see such beliefs, to decide if they will fight when the country calls, as so holy as others might.
Iraq and Iran produce oil and are happy to sell it. We want to control it. No, to maintain a "high standard of living" we do not get to control the world. The thing is, this "high standard" does not apply to all.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:15 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
well, I don't think draft dodgers should be considered as cowards or traitors.

There was heavy opposition to it (vietnam war) at nearly all levels of American society. Those who served, served. Those who didn’t, they had their reasons. It serves no useful purpose to brand draft dodgers as “yellow chicken****s” who didn’t or couldn’t stand up to their peers or whatever. We are not them and not having to face their situation. It’s a decision every person has to decide for him- or herself — it is a normative situation where the components of the situation aren’t the sum of the situation and doesn’t necessarily lead to social conformity.

This said, I cannot stand the dishonest draft dodgers. For example, SOME Of them claim that if the country is attacked, they would enlist. (well, I guess you have to take their words for it) I have no doubt in my mind that SOME people would enlist if the country is under attack, but I doubt SOME of the draft dodgers would enlist even if the country is under attack, so why pretend? Just be honest about it, military service is not for everyone anyway.

Some people dodged the draft because of religious reasons; some dodged it because of political reasons and personal belief (like Ali, and he at least went to jail for it) I believe overwhelming majority of them dodged the draft because they didn't want to die in combat (and it has nothing to do with the unpopular war.) But it is all okay, just be honest about it.

Oh by the way, if you dodged the draft because you didn't want to die in combat, and you badmouth those who did serve. How can you blame others for calling you a coward? right? lol Just be honest about it. Military service (combat) is not for everyone and we understand it and it is okay.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:30 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Iraq and Iran produce oil and are happy to sell it. We want to control it. No, to maintain a "high standard of living" we do not get to control the world. The thing is, this "high standard" does not apply to all.
Well, we certainly don't want to go through another oil embargo, either. That was 1973 and I hardly think we would do as well.

The thing is, if it comes down to it, be it they decide they don't like something about us and do an embargo or they decide they are going to sell most of it to China or India, what do you expect the country to do about it?

Do you expect the country to say, "That's okay, it's your choice, do as you please," or do you think the country will fight?

We have ways to decide how the country will be led through voting, through using Congress. Use those but when things still don't go one's way, don't pout and retreat back to home.

Now, if one really does believe they will not kill others, fine, but don't sit comfortable at home about it.

For the benefits that one will get if we win, find a way to take the risk with the others.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Well, we certainly don't want to go through another oil embargo, either. That was 1973 and I hardly think we would do as well.
We produce more than enough to meet our needs.

Quote:
The thing is, if it comes down to it, be it they decide they don't like something about us and do an embargo or they decide they are going to sell most of it to China or India, what do you expect the country to do about it?

Do you expect the country to say, "That's okay, it's your choice, do as you please," or do you think the country will fight?

We have ways to decide how the country will be led through voting, through using Congress. Use those but when things still don't go one's way, don't pout and retreat back to home.

Now, if one really does believe they will not kill others, fine, but don't sit comfortable at home about it.

For the benefits that one will get if we win, find a way to take the risk with the others.
We don't own the world.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
I would always serve my country. I was in the Navy, did two WESTPAC tours during Vietnam. It was a good experience and gave me a career in electronics, which led me into sales and marketing. No regrets, and I always loved being at sea.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
My point IS.....others did, what made him so special?
Others did what?

Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
I'll use this one as an example.

I hear people say that they won't fight for, say as an example, for oil.

One must realize that in the US, our high standard of living is based on oil which includes our ability to produce so much more food per acre than most of the rest of the world.

If we have to fight a war to maintain our energy sources, such as oil, I would love to be able to say, to decree, "You said you won't fight for oil and you didn't. So freeze! So starve!"

But in such a free country as the US, we can't do that to non participants, so I suppose we are just stuck with such deadbeats.

I do not see such beliefs, to decide if they will fight when the country calls, as so holy as others might.
If we can't support our energy usage without invading other countries, then we need to come up with other ways to supply energy.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Our president is a draft dodger. A coward. Five.....FIVE draft deferments for Donald J. Trump.

Must be nice to have a rich daddy to keep you out of war.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Our president is a draft dodger. A coward. Five.....FIVE draft deferments for Donald J. Trump.

Must be nice to have a rich daddy to keep you out of war.

And his father avoided service in WW2, staying behind to profit from the war effort.

His sons? All military service avoiders.

No tRump has EVER served in the US military.

Cowards

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies