Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot of lip service about "civility" from Democrat Senators and Representatives on TV and the radio over the past two days. They all seem to profess a desire to return to the days where the "climate" isn't so divisive and charged with animosity.

My question is what, if anything, will these liberals do to work towards the civility they claim they want?

Will they stop claiming that efforts to reform the failed ACA will result in "killing thousands of people"?

Will they stop claiming that conservatives are bigots/racists/xenophobes simply because they want illegal immigration addressed.

Will they stop making wild-eyes accusations of treason with no evidence whatsoever simply because they lost an election?

Will they stop encouraging their followers to "resist," to "take out Trump and company," and warning that there must be "blood in the streets"?

Will they stop violent protests that silence political speech they disagree with at colleges and universities?

Will they stop their angry and hateful rhetoric about racism and brutality committed on a systemic basis by police officers and other law enforcement officials?

My prediction is that we'll have a few days of relative quiet from the left, and then it will be back to the same all out war of rhetoric on conservatives and Republicans. And then, predictably, more violence will follow as the next unhinged Bernie supporter loses it and makes an assassination attempt or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
There's been a lot of lip service about "civility" from Democrat Senators and Representatives on TV and the radio over the past two days. They all seem to profess a desire to return to the days where the "climate" isn't so divisive and charged with animosity.

My question is what, if anything, will these liberals do to work towards the civility they claim they want?

Will they stop claiming that efforts to reform the failed ACA will result in "killing thousands of people"?

Will they stop claiming that conservatives are bigots/racists/xenophobes simply because they want illegal immigration addressed.

Will they stop making wild-eyes accusations of treason with no evidence whatsoever simply because they lost an election?

Will they stop encouraging their followers to "resist," to "take out Trump and company," and warning that there must be "blood in the streets"?

Will they stop violent protests that silence political speech they disagree with at colleges and universities?

Will they stop their angry and hateful rhetoric about racism and brutality committed on a systemic basis by police officers and other law enforcement officials?

My prediction is that we'll have a few days of relative quiet from the left, and then it will be back to the same all out war of rhetoric on conservatives and Republicans. And then, predictably, more violence will follow as the next unhinged Bernie supporter loses it and makes an assassination attempt or worse.

I would imagine that they will stop using inflammatory language right after the Republicans pledge to do so.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Both sides are guilty of this and if you fail to realize this, you are suffering from the band-wagon effect.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought "wow, seems like a fair and reasonable post. I'd like to participate."

But then I noticed it read "What will the LEFT do to reintroduce civility to our politics...."

And then I realized that this is just another one-sided, liberal-bashing thread started by a conservative. Bummer.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:34 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Both sides are guilty of this and if you fail to realize this, you are suffering from the band-wagon effect.
Exactly, you read my mind.

This could have been a really positive, bi-partisan thread if the OP would have worded the title differently.

But no, that's not what the OP was going for. Just a one-sided discussion is all they're interested in.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Who needs a derogatory adjective to describe everyone who does not agree with everything they say?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post

We disagree on a lot, but you bring up important questions. I don't know what the answers are, but I do know that no matter where our differences lie, I see an attack on a Senator as an attack on every American, and on America itself. We don't have to agree on everything to agree on this. I think a big first step is if we could stop seeing one another as 'the other.'

Old 06-15-2017, 01:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought "wow, seems like a fair and reasonable post. I'd like to participate."

But then I noticed it read "What will the LEFT do to reintroduce civility to our politics...."

And then I realized that this is just another one-sided, liberal-bashing thread started by a conservative. Bummer.
Why are you all fragile and dance around the topic? Boohoo wahh... bashed my party... Participate. Share your input instead of crying foul.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
The best thing they could do is recuse themselves from politics and stop the embarrassment.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Well, you might want to stop engaging in stereotypes and starting listening to people who might have legitimate grievances with your parties policies. As shocking as it may seem, the Republicans aren't always right and don't have answers to all the countries problems. Only a few conservatives on this board seem willing to actually engage in discussions with their liberal counterparts to see if a middle ground can be reached. The rest like to hurl insults and call people everything but a child of God if they don't agree with their viewpoint. Americans have the right to disagree with a sitting president, have the right to protest policies that they deem unfair and dangerous. These rights were understood by previous administrations but it seems that Trump supporters view any disagreements with Trumps' policies as some sort of treasonous behavior.

As I've said before, your words matter. This is an open forum, anyone can read what you post here. Think about what you are posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies