Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:50 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
The "forced to pay for other people's stuff" argument is DEAD.

And i am glad to explain it to you.

the Nurse who help change a diaper when you are 129 years old, needed a school, and YOU need to pay into that in order to ever have a nurse.

The woman who teaches the janitor to read needs to be taught to teach.

Or do you think rich people could have services, without wide spread education for all. Who would you hire to manage your factory if only rich people had access to a solid education.

I know you will pretend this is not true, but a modern developed nation requires that the vast majority receive a full high school education and a large percentage of 3rd level graduates.

Who would maintain this website? Who would do an evaluation of your properties for lending purposes? Do you think a private schooled kid with a 300K 3rd level ed is going to do that work?

In short you appear not to have thought any of this through and went with the good old "greed" knee jerk, and forgot that you rely on well educated folk everyday of your life and that you would likely go broke paying outrageous fees if the majority of the pop did not have the education to provide services, design goods, tax planning etc..

stop funding public ed and we become a 4th world nation. (4th because we would be going backward)
Funny that you repeat tired arguments and say I'm the one who hasn't thought it through.

First of all, we are "forced to pay for other people's stuff", so I'm not sure why that's in quotes.

Second, where are you getting this from? These are the assertions I'd expect from a public school education. But seriously, you're just making assertions. "If we didn't force people to pay for government schools, nobody would know how to do anything!"

Third, it's not greedy to get upset when people are reaching in your pockets and the pockets of others. If you want people's money, ask, persuade, guilt, reason, or at least steal it yourself. It's more honest than hiding behind the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Some choices are harmful to others. If I chose to dump my garbage on your front lawn, you would probably demean that choice.

Understand now?
Nope. Vast generalizations do not a good argument make.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Funny that you repeat tired arguments and say I'm the one who hasn't thought it through.

First of all, we are "forced to pay for other people's stuff", so I'm not sure why that's in quotes.

Second, where are you getting this from? These are the assertions I'd expect from a public school education. But seriously, you're just making assertions. "If we didn't force people to pay for government schools, nobody would know how to do anything!"

Third, it's not greedy to get upset when people are reaching in your pockets and the pockets of others. If you want people's money, ask, persuade, guilt, reason, or at least steal it yourself. It's more honest than hiding behind the state.
Are you going to pay for this yourself? No you aren't.

On Wisconsin: After years of debate and study, bridge over St. Croix River nears completion | Local News | host.madison.com

Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My public schools taught us the art of critical thinking. How much of that do conservative home schooling parents provide?

My public high school was ranked among the top 45 high schools in the country when I was a student there. Along with other outstanding public high schools, it was featured in "Life" magazine. SAT and ACT scores soared. My classmates have gone on to do extremely well in a wide variety of fields and professions. I am unaware of any classmates who have suffered from having received public school educations or who have felt hampered in any way because of our public school background.
I never said people can't get a good education at a public school. I implied that they indoctrinate people.

It's like if I went to Walmart schools my whole life and came out with very pro-Walmart beliefs. I don't think that would be too surprising, and if you aren't a fan of Walmart, it may be a bit frustrating arguing with those people.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Haha what's with you and bridges? No I'm not, and why would anyone ever pay for it themselves?

Old 06-16-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Haha what's with you and bridges? No I'm not, and why would anyone ever pay for it themselves?
Right, you will force others to pay for it.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I never said people can't get a good education at a public school. I implied that they indoctrinate people.

It's like if I went to Walmart schools my whole life and came out with very pro-Walmart beliefs. I don't think that would be too surprising, and if you aren't a fan of Walmart, it may be a bit frustrating arguing with those people.
The majority of people went to a public school and end up with very different views of the world.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Right, you will force others to pay for it.
No, I won't.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
The majority of people went to a public school and end up with very different views of the world.
I know. Some people (like myself) went to a public school and either had family who encouraged skepticism, or learned things outside of school that conflicted with the narrative they originally received.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:

I have got your number. You lack a rebuttal and instead opt for nonsense. so i will address your nonsense.

1 the quote? I was quoting you and you already know that. But you are pretending not to because you are stumped.

2 The bold bit is you making up a quote and implying i said it. NOPE i never said that, and you are being dishonest pretending i did. That is worth repeating. You are being DISHONEST by pretending i said something i did not. Shame on you for that T0103E.

3 Yes it is greedy. Greedy is an opinion in my opinion the desire to seek a GOVERNMENT subsidy for your children's private education using funds intended for the greater good is greedy and heartless.

And what is more you know it is. Rural schools could be crushed if too many students decide to go to school at the local church and take the money with them. AND YOU KNOW THIS IS TRUE. As it stands too many children are forced to travel too far to schools. A Voucher system will make this massively worse and you already know it, but don't care because you think you can eek out a gain for yourself.

Thus it is greedy to want the government handout for your kids while knowing it could leave a small rural high school unable to buy PCs unable provide the resources children need.

as to asking, that is not how we run this country. If i need a new road i don't ask my neighbor i ask the state. The state reviews the request and hopefully makes the good long term choice. Sometimes we are disappointed and sometimes greedy people try to take a lot more than they morally should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies