Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:54 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Does anybody else use this phrase to describe their political views? This is basically how I describe myself.

Healthcare: I support a single payer system, but I think people should be able to opt in or out and free market plans should be available. Have the government plan built into your taxes, but allow tax deductions if you choose a free market plan. Everyone is entitled to the government plan unless they choose otherwise.

Environment: I believe in climate change, but I doubt some of the worst case scenarios predicted in terms of its effects. I believe the US pulling out of the Paris agreement is far worse for our standing in the world and relationship with our allies than it is for the actual fight against climate change.

Black Lives Matter: I support the premise of it. There are big problems in some police forces in this country. However, I do not support the tactics that the BLM movement uses and I think they are harming their cause more than helping it.

Taxes: Lower taxes on the lower and middle class. Raise taxes on the wealthy.

SJWs: I think the SJW movement fights for a lot of noble causes, but their tactics and extreme positions are a big black eye on the progressive cause.

Immigration: I support an easier path to citizenship for those who wish to come to this country legally. However, I think we need to crack down on illegals much more than we have done over the past several administrations

Drugs: Legalize marijuana nationwide, but continue the war on the harder drugs (specifically heroin, cocaine, and meth).

Education: More government assistance for students to attend college, tailored towards what the economy currently needs. I am against free college for everyone. In terms of public schools, I am against school choice.

Minimum wage: Raise it, but not to $15. Something like $10-12 would be a good place to go at this point in time.

Gay rights: Fully support same sex marriage and support a nationwide LGBT equality law protecting LGBT people in areas of employment, housing, public accommodations, education and jury service. However, I am empathetic to the other side in terms of some trans issues, especially those that affect minors and sports. The bathroom thing should be a non issue for instance, but I can understand the problem when it comes to MtF transwomen playing on all-female sports teams.

Abortion: I am completely pro choice up to 20 weeks, but after that, it should be limited to incest, rape, or health of the mother.

Protests: I support peaceful protests ONLY. Violence is a shame to the cause. Nothing will be accomplished that way.
Very INTERESTING.

Would you share with us how far you are willing to go, on those issues, towards reaching a compromise that would get you some of what you want. Lets face it nobody gets everything they want or like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Taxes: Lower taxes on the lower and middle class. Raise taxes on the wealthy."

Horse ****!

1964, top rate cut from 91% to 77%.......Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

1965, top rate cut from 77% to 70%.......Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

1982, top rate cut from 70% to 50%.......Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

1987, top rate cut from 50% to 38.5%.....Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

1988, top rate cut from 38.5% to 33%.....Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

1991, top rate cut from 33% to 31%........Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

I didn't say I agree that it has been done, I agree it's what we should do. You may be surprised to learn that I believe everyone, no matter their income should kick in a little to support the life this nation gives us.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I didn't say I agree that it has been done, I agree it's what we should do. You may be surprised to learn that I believe everyone, no matter their income should kick in a little to support the life this nation gives us.
And those who benefit the most should kick in the most.

Good OP.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And those who benefit the most should kick in the most.

Good OP.
Yes I completely agree with that. Too long the rich have hidden behind the dollar amounts when it's really all about percentages. I pay more of my income to tax, as a percentage of my income, than warren buffet. That's wrong.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Does anybody else use this phrase to describe their political views? This is basically how I describe myself.

Healthcare: I support a single payer system, but I think people should be able to opt in or out and free market plans should be available. Have the government plan built into your taxes, but allow tax deductions if you choose a free market plan. Everyone is entitled to the government plan unless they choose otherwise.

Environment: I believe in climate change, but I doubt some of the worst case scenarios predicted in terms of its effects. I believe the US pulling out of the Paris agreement is far worse for our standing in the world and relationship with our allies than it is for the actual fight against climate change.

Black Lives Matter: I support the premise of it. There are big problems in some police forces in this country. However, I do not support the tactics that the BLM movement uses and I think they are harming their cause more than helping it.

SJWs: I think the SJW movement fights for a lot of noble causes, but their tactics and extreme positions are a big black eye on the progressive cause.

Immigration: I support an easier path to citizenship for those who wish to come to this country legally. However, I think we need to crack down on illegals much more than we have done over the past several administrations

Drugs: Legalize marijuana nationwide, but continue the war on the harder drugs (specifically heroin, cocaine, and meth).

Education: More government assistance for students to attend college, tailored towards what the economy currently needs. I am against free college for everyone. In terms of public schools, I am against school choice.

Minimum wage: Raise it, but not to $15. Something like $10-12 would be a good place to go at this point in time.

Gay rights: Fully support same sex marriage and support a nationwide LGBT equality law protecting LGBT people in areas of employment, housing, public accommodations, education and jury service. However, I am empathetic to the other side in terms of some trans issues, especially those that affect minors and sports. The bathroom thing should be a non issue for instance, but I can understand the problem when it comes to MtF transwomen playing on all-female sports teams.

Abortion: I am completely pro choice up to 20 weeks, but after that, it should be limited to incest, rape, or health of the mother.

Protests: I support peaceful protests ONLY. Violence is a shame to the cause. Nothing will be accomplished that way.

You are a Centrist. Similar to the great majority of people in the USA who have some minor variation on this platform.

But here's one thing you are forgetting; many people don't have clue one about any of these topics and would not understand a "political viewpoint" if it slapped them in their face. THEY are the ones that essentially elected Donald Trump. Half the voting age public decided not to participate last November.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:32 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
See, Liberals can indeed focus on policy matters and debate in a civil and non violent manner. We need good heads like the OP to try and reason, if they can, with their out of control sections of the Liberal community to stand and debate. What are they so afraid of ?
It may surprise you but if you spent less time reading characterizations of us on forums like this one and more time actually interacting with liberals, you'd realize that most of us are like this.

We'll own our crazies, but you conservatives on the right have to own yours as well.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
See, Liberals can indeed focus on policy matters and debate in a civil and non violent manner.
I wish the other side could so the same.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:

I pretty much agree with you with all of this (except for perhaps the second sentence in the environment section). Personally, I'd add on a section about guns too where I'm "liberal but not that liberal": I'm against the public legality of automatic rifles and high capacity guns but I'm against removing hand guns, rifles, etc from the public.

And I add in the following non-liberal/liberal extreme points of view:

1) I want to keep and use the death penalty.
2) I'm for the use of GMOs.
3) I believe the anti-vaxers are idiots.

And yet I don't feel the need to augment labeling myself as a "liberal". Maybe some people would consider me a DINO - - but that would be the farthest lefthand side of the spectrum. I know I'm 100% not a conservative or Republican, and saying that I'm a "centrist" would perhaps give people the misnomer that I'm an independent - - and at 46, I've voted for Republicans probably less than 3% of the time in my life. The anti-intellectual, tinfoil-hat wearing population of conservatives is despicable, and I'd much rather have somebody believe that I'm hardcore liberal than misconstruing that I may agree with a sizable portion of the conservative mindset.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:52 AM

417 posts, read 345,541 times
OP, I love your idea on healthcare, you are the first liberal minded person for whom I can agree on when discussing healthcare.
I can tell you take a very non divisive aproach when it comes to politics which I can really appreciate. I kind of wish the world was a little more moderate, I think it would keep both Liberals and Republicans happy we may even be able to pass legistlation.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post

This is the same campaign year bull **** that keeps spending high (the rich are going to pay for it) and deficits even higher because the same Democrats and Est Republicans that do all the spending in the name of the children never actually raise taxes on the rich.

Pretending that taxes will ever be increased on the extremely wealthy and spending money based on that presumption is a scam on working Americans who can't afford to pay for liberal generosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies